User Tag List

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Question 1: Well, I got a dog given to me, a toy poodle, about 10 months ago. They told me his rabies shot was just given to him about a month before, and it was for 3 years, but I have no paperwork to show it. Would it hurt my dog to get another one this year?

Question 2: How much does a rabies shot cost? Someplace around Brampton, thanks. (Phone number for vets, if you have it.)

Question 3: I was going to take him to Pet Smart to get groomed. He is horribly matted, and I blame myself. But I feel so bad, because he would whimper when I tried to brush him, so I basically just stopped, because I felt sooooo bad for him. And he has a crooked paw, so I was afraid to cut his nails, and now they're long..but still afraid, cause I don't know how to work with his messed up paw. Pet Smart quoted me $51+tax. I'm wanting to get him groomed before I have my baby in the next 3 weeks (so he's nice and clean for her, plus for pictures with her ) but over $60... Anyone knows of anyone cheaper? I just need him shaved, nails clipped, and his ears done. I can wash him myself, I do it every week.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I thought they got rabies yearly?
    My rabies shot cost about $25.
    I think that is the cost roughly for everything you want done, but shopping around doesnt' hurt.
    I get coupons every once in a while for 25% off a groom or something like that.
    Keep it carbed......

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

1)I just checked online and for Ontario it states that all dogs three months or older must be vacinated against rabies, and then every three years, but if you want it can be yearly it states, however the law is every three years. And I know my vet offers it for 30.00.
    **Another thing too, if you live in an area that has a high population of raccoons, dogs can catch a disease/virus from the racoon poop/pee that can actually be transmitted to humans and make you very very ill..I can't remember what the name of it is, but my dog gets it every year too. The dogs can get it just from sniffing where a racoon has done it's business through it's nose.
    It's cheap too, only 15.00.Just letting you know.
    2) I would just shave the dog myself...
    3) as for the dog's nails, if you have left them for a while, the longer the nails grow, the longer the quick grows in them, so I would pay for the nail clipping by the vet. My vet does it free with the annual visit & vaccinations..I wouldn't do it myself because of the chance of cutting the quick and then having them bleed.
    Last edited by Litesandsirens911; Sat, Feb 13th, 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added info

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

He's a toy poodle, and like I said, horribly matted. I feel sooooo bad that I let him get like this..but it hurt me to hear him whimper like that, I thought I was really hurting him (then I read about how dogs just do it to make you feel bad, but I never had that problem with my other dogs).
    If I do shave him myself, is the matting going to give me a problem?

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

if you can put him in your lap and cut most of them out with scissors first, then you'll be able to shave him more easily.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Well, I did get the front 2 legs of his..but that took me 3 hours. ._.
    I think I have crappy scissors, though...
    He's my baby, but he annoys me, because I KNOW I'm not hurting him (I'm super gentle) but he acts like I'm killing him...and it makes me want to cry and stop, cause I feel so bad, then I get frustrated because I don't finish. Argh.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoddessDigi View Post
    Well, I did get the front 2 legs of his..but that took me 3 hours. ._.
    I think I have crappy scissors, though...
    He's my baby, but he annoys me, because I KNOW I'm not hurting him (I'm super gentle) but he acts like I'm killing him...and it makes me want to cry and stop, cause I feel so bad, then I get frustrated because I don't finish. Argh.
    you just have to pet him every once and a while to reassure him...my dog will let me shave her but she hates the scissors

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I've not tried to shave him, yet. Just the scissors. I'm wondering if the noise will scare him off even more.. ._.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

you can try wrapping parts of him in a towel to sort of confine/comfort him, it sometimes works...the only part my little dog wont let me do is by her ears...when you go to the groomers, some groomers tie a collar and leash on your dog and tie them to the table, you can try something like that so he doesn't run from your clippers.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Last time I wrapped him in a blanket. And my hubby yelled at me, cause I didn't shake ALL the hair out, so when I washed it, some of it was stuck in clumps to the blanket. xD

Thread Information