User Tag List

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yesterday, January 5, 2011, I received a letter in the mail advising me that a judgment had been rendered and I have been found guilty and fined a total of $242. ....
    On page two it briefly gives the details of an infraction committed on 2009-11-08.

Yes, most likely they are correct, it was my car and it was very possible that I was going over the speed limit.

What baffles me is that this happened almost 14 months ago and I'm only being advised about this now!!!

Anyone know if there is a limit as to how long after an infraction is done they can come after you? Or where I can find this information (websites, preferably in English).

Also, is there any way of knowing if I have any other possible tickets that are awaiting judgments?

Merci!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That seems odd, maybe a typo?

Totally easier for you just to phone the admin number of your police dept., traffic control dept. maybe and they'd give you the info.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Doesn't surprise me, the photo radar is such a big hit that they are hand out thousands of tickets every month.

Maybe this is the second notice? Does it say?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It was definitely the first notice. It states that the judgment was reached on Dec 9th 2010 .... so it took over a year for this to be processed, and then I received it in the mail less than a month later.

The total is $242, and it's broken down as:
    Fine: 135$
    Fees: 97$
    Contribution: 10$

I have no idea what Contribution means. As for the fees, if I'm being charged $97 in fees, I would expect this to be processed a heck of a lot faster.

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

In Edmonton at least, you can go to the place where you pay the fine and tell the person at the desk that you want to see someone to appeal this ticket. They send you to see an officer (peace officer or maybe justice of peace) in an office, and you can plead your case with him. Most times, the fine is reduced. You can add things like -its your first time to get a ticket, you don't remember if you even were speeding, the time elapsed between when they say the event happened and when the ticket was mailed out, and ask what the fees and contributions are all about.

Did you ever change your address maybe, and the fees are what it cost for them to track you to your current address?

Good luck!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super_e View Post
    It was definitely the first notice. It states that the judgment was reached on Dec 9th 2010 .... so it took over a year for this to be processed, and then I received it in the mail less than a month later.

The total is $242, and it's broken down as:
    Fine: 135$
    Fees: 97$
    Contribution: 10$

I have no idea what Contribution means. As for the fees, if I'm being charged $97 in fees, I would expect this to be processed a heck of a lot faster.
    This is my guess... because I have had MANY tickets......

If it says that the "judgement was reached" that means you were found guilty. So you must have been sent a notice giving you a chance to contest within 30 days, blah blah blah... Although, I have never had a radar ticket (THANK GOD!!!! I didn't even know we have that here!) ...it must be the same thing, no?

I think at this point there is nothing much you can do. If you had contested, you could have your day in court... speak to the prosecutor in the morning and make a deal. Since you're "guilty" that chance has passed...

You should still call, but I think that will be the outcome.

The only thing better than saving money is VOLLEYBALL!!!

Nik
    Female
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I was just in "court" the other day fighting my ticket. I would definitely call them. But I am sure that there was a letter missed.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree with Miss Brittany. They probably sent a notice (you should call them and ask when). They didn't get an answer so you are automatically guilty. I think it also says it somewhere on the original ticket. The only way you could of had your chance in court was to fill the back of the ticket and checking off not guilty. By not responding you don't receive a court date.

Thread Information