User Tag List

Thread: melotonin usage

Banned
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My l.o. is now turning 4 in december. I sort of refused to ever try drugs to get her to sleep but no matter what i do since she was younger,she always seems to end up back with the same sleeping problems! I am trying to limit sugar, i have tried to get her lots of exercise (it was like the more i did the more she wanted to stay up and not miss anything,lol) and try to keep up with bedtime routines.

So I finally went back with my pediatricians advice after she's been staying up until 1 am,2 am,then 3 am all week, i just went crazy that night. and got some melatonin 3 mg. i cut the tablet in half tonight and gave her half of 3 mg so 1.5, i don't know why but i am just really nervous to use this stuff.i guess because everything indicates it is more for adults. Does anybody here use it? We still did our normal bedtime routine, i feel so bad for just knocking her out like that,lol. She went out at 8:30, i couldn't believe it.

Also my real question is, i forget what was reccomended, am i supposed to use it continuously until things start to look up?for how long? or should i just use it here and there ? Thank you!
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My 9 yr has to take melatonin.. we just went to the doc for a checkup..normally I give her 1/2 tab but it's not working so now, my doc recommended giving her the full tab. She takes it every night, our body produces melatonin naturally so it's a "natural" product but I too feel bad that I have to give her something to sleep, she has never, ever been a good sleeper, something she does not inherit from me lol.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by keri32 View Post
    Also my real question is, i forget what was reccomended, am i supposed to use it continuously until things start to look up?for how long? or should i just use it here and there ? Thank you!
    .5mg is as effective as a higher dosage in adults...1.5mg seems awfully high for a 4 year old . I think your daughter's pediatrician would be the best person to answer your questions.

Is she in daycare? Does she still take naps during the day? If so, for how long?
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Banned
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

so i should 1/4 them?Will have to make an appt again soon.Sorry i really couldn't recall and 3 mg was the very lowest one i could find. She isn't in daycare, i am with her all day until she starts school next year. She hasn't really taken a regular nap (except the odd one here and there) since she was about 2.5-turning 3.Even by then she wouldn't always take one.I think she took one nap all year actually,lol.

I also have tried turkey,warm milk (didn't like it at all) and sleepy time tea which worked a couple times but that's about it. I am at my wits end,why i resulted to this, i was so afraid to do it but it is working wonders, i really don't want to make it a regular thing unless necessary. I'd be afraid to use it myself even.Even though i read many good things.
    Last edited by keri32; Sun, Oct 23rd, 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

ooh I feel you pain. My little guy is only 2, but sounds very much like your daughter. I feed him cheese, peanut butter or a high fat greek yogurt (sometimes with a little protein powder mixed in) about 30 minutes before bed. It helps a little.
    I would be very reluctant to use the meletonin, as in too high of a dose, which varies per person, it can cause really bad nightmares. It can also cause hangover like symptoms in the morning.

Krystal
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My doctor told me (I was asking about the melatonin for myself) that in order for it to be at it max effectiveness you should take it at the same time every night

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Take the one that melts in your mouth, it acts faster.

I was told 1 of those tables ( ^ ) about 3 hrs before bed, and by bedtime it'd be like a 'i can't keep my eyes open..' thing

Melatonin doesn't stay in your body after it's done working, so when you take it, it doesn't matter. It's also used for jet-lag, no one gets jet-lag at the same time all the time.
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Is there an natural product that might work? Might want to check in with your local health food store.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Melatonin is natural..it mimics whats already in your body.. it just kind of kick starts whats there that isn't quite working as fast as it should. my son has been taking it for years.. he started out at the lowest dose. and is now at the lowest dose for an adult (hes 16) works no problems. by morning once he's up its out of his system no lasting effects.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    44 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    Melatonin is natural..it mimics whats already in your body.. it just kind of kick starts whats there that isn't quite working as fast as it should. my son has been taking it for years.. he started out at the lowest dose. and is now at the lowest dose for an adult (hes 16) works no problems. by morning once he's up its out of his system no lasting effects.
    Thanks for educating me - I've never heard of this before. It's good to know.

Banned
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That is excellent to know that it doesn't stay in your system. The dosage must have been a little too high because she fell asleep within half an hour,lol.(unless it was from being exhausted the night before) I didn't use it tonight and we were sort of out until 8:00 so started bedtime routine a little later then usual at family's but she was out by 10 She also got a lot of exercise though,lol.

This one melts in your mouth,all the ones i could find said they did. I know...anything that makes you pass out doesn't seem right to me and worries me a lot,lol. I checked on her lastnight to make sure she was ok a few times! But she was so happy today after a great nights sleep,it was amazing to see It feels so good to have us all well rested for once. I think i should have tried it a little sooner because day in and day out it felt like everybody was miserable!

Think i'll wait until ped. appt. to use it again if at all. Must be only when you are desperate you use it i am thinking.
    Last edited by keri32; Sun, Oct 23rd, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (100%)

Melatonin has been a lifesaver for our family. My son's ADHD meds (several different types) have an adverse effect on his ability to sleep at night. His brain & body just won't wind down. He was keeping me up till 2-3am.

He takes a 3mg pill around 9 and is asleep by 11:30-midnight. Hazzah!

I did some internet research, and it does suggest having an 'off-night'. So he doesn't take any Friday & Saturday night.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My daughter has autism and has been on melatonin for over a year. she will be up all night . her record was 28 hours up straight and now its 36 hours straight. she needs sleep and so do I . I am not talking about a child who is waking up early, this girl will go for a day and a half with no sleep. My doctor explained that some people just need it. and maybe your child just needs it

Thread Information