User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tips, Tricks & Good Ideas

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but peppermint oil is very effective for keeping mice away. They cannot stand the smell of it. Just put a few drop on cotton balls, and leave them where ever you think mice are likely to be. Remember to refresh every week or so, and you must buy peppermint OIL, not EXTRACT. It's all I use, and I live in an old building where other tenants deal with mice all the time. I haven't seen one since I started using peppermint oil.

Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksaver View Post
    Well, I have three easy ones that have nothing to do with pooping or masturbating but holy cow, THAT was funny!!

Save your butter wrappers and save them in a baggies in the freezer. Next time a recipe calls for greasing a pan, whip out your butter wrapper and grease your pan. It's awesome! Just take it out when you prep your ingredients and it'll be ready to use.

Save your bread ends that nobody eats and freeze them. When you have enough of them, bake them on a cookie sheet at 250 until super crispy (quite a few hours) then whizz them up in your blender or food processor...homemade bread crumbs! Bag them and freeze them and never pay for breadcrumbs again!

Lastly....save the ends you cut off veggies and bag them in the freezer. When you have enough just boil, strain and pour into containers or ice cube trays. Vegetable stock for almost free! Apples and tomatoes are a great addition to this stock as well as onion peels...deep, dark delicious stock. Just make sure they're clean before you freeze them so you don't have to drain dirt.

Wow, what great tips! I hate the ends of the bread! I will be using this one for sure!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Haha "poop at work to save toilet paper" LMAO....I would rather die! Here's one for actually saving $ on pooping. People of my traditional culture/ethnicity do not wipe their behinds (or fronts) with toilet paper (not clean enough just to wipe with paper). Instead, they wash with water every time they go to the toilet, using one of those plastic plant waterer things. Then they dry with toilet paper. Less toilet paper is needed to dry off water than to wipe off...lol well you know what. Back in my country of origin, most bathrooms are actually equipped with a hose for this purpose alone! haha saving on pooping...hilarious!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by grannyg View Post
    And to think ppl drink this stuff...
    Old army trick told by grandfather..... to get rust off bolts ,,, 1 can of coke, and sit over nite, In the am no rust...
    can u imagine what it does to the belly
    It doesn't really do anything to your stomach because it doesn't sit in your stomach overnight! Ever see those "experiments" where they put a steak in coke and leave it for a couple days? It looks awful and they blame it all on the coke! Leave a steak sitting out for a couple days -NOT sitting in coke. It will look just as awful! Meat will rot, Coke or no Coke, LOL!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Got yellow burn marks on your lawn from dog pee? Alter the acidity of urine by mixing about a tsp/L of apple cyder vinegar into your pet's water dish! Or pay $13+ for the pet store bottle which does the same thing. 4L of apple cyder vinegar is only about $2.
    Have small animals (rabbits, guniea pigs, etc)? Give them some apple cyder vinegar, too. It increases function of the gut (better digestion), reduces the smell of urine (for even more help with that, add a layer of peat moss to their litter box/pee spot, and you'll get a chemical reaction... urine+ peat = almost no smell)... the ACV will also change the taste of your water, and usually increases your animals desire to drink... kinda like Koolade... more pee= dilute pee= less smell. With better gut function you get a less stressed animal People who show rabbits use it when they travel, so the animals don't notice the changes in the taste of the water from town to town.
    Apple cyder vinegar is good for dodging doggy ear infections, too. My dog swims in a river where geese live... the slightly nasty water gives him an ear infection everytime. If I was smarter, I'd be flushing his ears after every swim with 3-5ml of ACV... but I forget most of the time. Twice a day for 3 days and the infection is noticably gone... but I like to treat for at least a week... it can't hurt anything, so it's fine to do.
    Last night I worried it wasn't working, and called the vet. Today at 2:30 the vet announced there was no brown sludge, no smell, and no sign of infection. Today was day4. Thankfully my impatience (and a wonderful, understanding vet) didn't cost me anything. He advised to keep it up for a couple more days just in case.
    Ever deal with ear mites in your pets (often picked up in long grass, hay, camping)? Use any oil you would use on your skin (mineral oil, olive oil, etc). A couple drops deep in each ear for 2 days smothers the mites. Repeat in a week to kill any new ones that hatch. One drawback... it's messy and your pet's head and front paws turn into an ugly greasy mess for about 3 weeks (my rabbits were so sad looking, but they went from driving themselves crazy and bloody from scratching to calm and relaxed in just hours). I've treated all my dogs and rabbits with mineral oil. Again, use more if you wish, it's not going to harm anything... in fact, if there is any build up in the ear canal, the oil will break it up and help it out

Trading Score
    187 (100%)

Boiling eggs? Add a spoonful of sugar to the pot, and voila, no stinky boiled egg smell in yor home.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Luisa_101 View Post
    Boiling eggs? Add a spoonful of sugar to the pot, and voila, no stinky boiled egg smell in yor home.
    I definitely have to try this. I hate that egg smell in the house! Thanks.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Ever have someone boil eggs in a stainless steal pot and leave that nasty stain on the inside, just put in a tomato and some water and boil it, then run the pot through the dishwasher. Works everytime.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    187 (100%)

Have lactose intolerance but want calcium? Drink Kefir, It has done wonders for my tummy!

it Is what it is
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Great Thread!

Musty smelling towels.

Soak in Vinegar and Water over night and wash. Musty smell is gone.

it Is what it is
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Oh, Animal sprayed by a skunk?

Mix 2 tsp dish soap, with 1 box of baking soda.....Add in 1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide. Lather your pet in the mixture. I like to pour another bottle of the peroxide all over the pet as well, so the soda fuzzes up more and gets the stink out.

rinse pet well after it sits on Fido for 5 to 10 minutes.

Stink should be gone....keep it out of pets eyes!!!
    wolfwoman likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I tried this at home this morning and OMG.....It really works! There's a lady at my work that boils eggs in our staff room every day. No one likes the smell cause it stinks up the whole place but really don't want to say anything. I am gonna tell her about this (or just dump some sugar in the pot when she's not looking LOL!!) Thank you for this tip, Luisa!
    Last edited by kelsie94; Mon, Aug 15th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Trading Score
    187 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelsie94 View Post
    I tried this at home this morning and OMG.....It really works! There's a lady at my work that boils eggs in our staff room every day. No one likes the smell cause it stinks up the whole place but really don't want to say anything. I am gonna tell her about this (or just dump some sugar in the pot when she's not looking LOL!!) Thank you for this tip, Luisa!

Lol your welcome

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

If you get hairdye on your clothes spray hairspray on it immediatly to stop it from staining.

Use Polydent to clean your toilets! (those foamy pills that clean dentures)
    Also Alcaseltzer (sp?) works too. Leave the tabs in the bowl

Also to the greasy hair comment; put baby powder in your hair if youre in a hurry

But also to the carcinogenic comments - apparently baby powder is =\
    also don`t use baby powder on babys as it gets inhaled and can cause lung infections

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

love! my nana`s house always stinks lol will have to tell her this

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information