User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you crossing the border to do your shopping?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - the Canadian retailers are gouging us by not passing on the lower cost of imported goods

18 52.94%
  • No - must support the Canadian economy

0 0%
  • No - don't buy enough to justify the trip

6 17.65%
  • No - live too far from the border

5 14.71%
  • No - don't want to deal with the hassles at the border

5 14.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Prue
    I went mostly for food but got a lot of clothes too - there were some great sales on. I was surprised, we got waived right through customs too - we told them we had about $150 each and I figured for sure they'd pull us over to pay duty but nope!

Congrats to your folks on the snowblower -that's a great deal, I bet they were pretty happy!

bcteagirl
    I just heard on the radio news that the finance minister is going to ask businesses to lower prices today, or at least explain why they can't.... will be interested if anyone hears how that goes!

Prue
    That is interesting, have to start looking to see if we notice any price differences.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was going to wait for the outcome of that meeting before commenting, but then thought all that's going to come out of it was the shovelling of more BS.... we're not getting gouged, that it's not the fault of the retailers, it's the manufacturers, no, it's the fault of the shippers. Price levels have been at the same for years as when the dollar was at 75 cents, before the rise to 103 today. Well someone out there is raking it in. I understand that the cost of doing business here may be higher, so a 10-15% premium on US prices is justifiable.

I'd say the best way to deal with this is to stop spending and buy only whatever is absolutely necessary or go across the border or buy used. The gouging will continue as long as retailers here are enjoying 'record' sales.

bcteagirl
    I tried to look up what happened at the meeting, and it seems that they just told him his efforts were 'misplaced' as they are not the ones that set the prices, it is their suppliers. Right...

kesergh
    ok............

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

retailers are the biggest bloodsuckers.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My mom and my brother's girlfriend went down to Bangor, Maine this weekend. I'll be curious to see if they found any bargains.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hey...i'm planning on going down south some time soon...the mighty CDN dollar and regular cheap finds there are too tempting!

I haven't gone there for shopping in a long time...just wondering if someone can refresh me/give me some tips on where to go? and/or how much i can bring back duty free on a day trip?

Thanks!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm from Toronto, so I typically go to the Factory Outlet mall of Niagara, shortly after entering through Queenston/Lewiston. From there, Target, Home Depot are just a bit off. There's also the Walden Galleria.

You cannot bring back anything duty/tax free after being away less than 24 hours. That said, CBSA agents apply discretion as to who they send over to pay. From my experience, I've been sent over 1 out of every 10 trips. It depends mostly on how much you buy.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

so less than 24 hours = $0 bring back in merchandise?...really? thats a little sad

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Currently, my Sobeys has lowered the cost on books, magazines, and cards *rolls eyes* Yeah.... don't bother just for that
    Why should I stay? Why should I go? I'm no longer on here. I might ghost in once in a while. But don't bother talking to me, I'm not to stay. Sorry.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mam25 View Post
    so less than 24 hours = $0 bring back in merchandise?...really? thats a little sad
    You can bring back any amount you want, just have to pay the tax on it. I just came back from Boston yesterday, and since I was away only 30 hours and spent $175, I wasn't entitled to any exemptions. The customs agent sent me to the cashier to pay $23.27. But on other trips, I have been waved through after spending $500.... so it really depends on what mood the customs agent is in.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was at a Suzy Sher outlet today...got some great finds...awesome pants for $10 and a cute top for $3 (sorry i'm just happy about my finds and had to share!)

However...after the cashier had scanned the items...and right before i was about to pay...another customer (quiet rudely i might add) started yelling and arguing with my cashier about not having "US equivalent prices"...her argument was that 'if Walmart has it...then every place else should too" ....

I would love the cheaper prices right here in Canada...but being rude to poor cashier who have no control over prices is sooo unnecessary ...especially when i thought i was already getting a great deal

haha

in either case...(and i know this is a little/wayyy off topic)

Suzy sher is offering an additional 25% off red ticket prices on all merchandise in their stores (my pants were originally $15) plus i got another 10% off cuz of my SPC/Prestige card

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by travelgeek View Post
    You can bring back any amount you want, just have to pay the tax on it. I just came back from Boston yesterday, and since I was away only 30 hours and spent $175, I wasn't entitled to any exemptions. The customs agent sent me to the cashier to pay $23.27. But on other trips, I have been waved through after spending $500.... so it really depends on what mood the customs agent is in.

Good to know...thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information