User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

I'm about to plant my garden, since the weather is FINALLY nice!!! Do any of you have experience with buying garden supplies here? Where can I find the best price for plants like tomatoes, peppers, etc....

Should I just go to Botanix? I know they have an amazing selection, but are the prices good? Or should I try Reno Depot, Canadian Tire, etc?

Do any of you know of any smaller companies that have great prices? I'm not looking for the large tomatoe plants that already have tomatoes on them. Just the starter plants.

THANKS!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Reno Depot

The only thing better than saving money is VOLLEYBALL!!!

Trading Score
    77 (100%)

I usually buy my plants at Marche Jean Talon; kind of a far off drive for me, but the prices are pretty good and the quality of the plants are excellent !

In years past I have gone to Botanix (they are actually pretty good but can be pricey at times, I find), and to Wal-Mart Garden Centre, Home Depot, etc, but I find the plants can sometimes be wilty and of poor quality.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your garden !! Nothing beats fresh grown fruits and veggies :D

"The best things in life are never rationed. Friendship, loyalty, love do not require coupons." - George T. Hewitt

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle88 View Post
    I usually buy my plants at Marche Jean Talon; kind of a far off drive for me, but the prices are pretty good and the quality of the plants are excellent !

In years past I have gone to Botanix (they are actually pretty good but can be pricey at times, I find), and to Wal-Mart Garden Centre, Home Depot, etc, but I find the plants can sometimes be wilty and of poor quality.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your garden !! Nothing beats fresh grown fruits and veggies :D
    Thanks so much!!!!

I didn't realise that Marche Jean Talon has a garden section. I'll definitely go check it out; do you think it's open yet?

...and me too, I've noticed that sometimes the quality at the departments stores is no good - and Botanix can get very $$$$.

Nothing better than fresh, organic produce.... for FREE!!! ...but I don't know what is better, working on the garden or eating the vegetables. Both are SOOOOOO GRATIFYING!!

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

for sure Marche Jean Talon!!

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

I agree with other,

Marché Jean-Talon is a good place and you will find a good selection and some organics plants from organic seeds if you wanted
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Trading Score
    77 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by miss__brittany View Post
    Thanks so much!!!!

I didn't realise that Marche Jean Talon has a garden section. I'll definitely go check it out; do you think it's open yet?

...and me too, I've noticed that sometimes the quality at the departments stores is no good - and Botanix can get very $$$$.

Nothing better than fresh, organic produce.... for FREE!!! ...but I don't know what is better, working on the garden or eating the vegetables. Both are SOOOOOO GRATIFYING!!
    It's definitely OPEN ! hehe I was there yesterday with my DH and DS and we had a great time ! The outside part of the market is open again (the inside part is open year round), and there are many places outside selling small or larger plants, potted herbs, etc ... for a very reasonable price
    Best part ? We heard lots of music, got a fantastic lunch and made an outing out of it :D

"The best things in life are never rationed. Friendship, loyalty, love do not require coupons." - George T. Hewitt

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Thanks so much guys!!!!!!!!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Might you have a neighbour that is into gardening and seed saving? Potential to get produce and or seedlings that way.

I do recommend trying to grow mixed lettuce in a container-get OSC seeds or other brand from grocery stores or Cdn. Tire. Lettuce grows quickly but soil might make the lettuce gradually bitter after several clippings of lettuce. Don't know what you could add to the soil to avoid that sour taste in the lettuce.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Might you have a neighbour that is into gardening and seed saving? Potential to get produce and or seedlings that way.

I do recommend trying to grow mixed lettuce in a container-get OSC seeds or other brand from grocery stores or Cdn. Tire. Lettuce grows quickly but soil might make the lettuce gradually bitter after several clippings of lettuce. Don't know what you could add to the soil to avoid that sour taste in the lettuce.
    No, unfortunately nobody has a vegetable garden around my house; only flowers

I actually think that the sour taste in the lettuce is from it being out in the sun too long. I'm pretty sure that if you don't cut it off in time, the lettuce will start to grow flowers up the middle and taste sour like a weed!! I had this problem when I had a garden in BC, because I didn't like the variety that I chose, so I didn't eat it quickly enough... Lesson learned!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Hey miss_brittany, Botanix on 4341 Dagenais O in Laval are having a sale May 7th & 8th, all herbs in 9cm pot are 0.98$ reg. 2.79.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cbou View Post
    Hey miss_brittany, Botanix on 4341 Dagenais O in Laval are having a sale May 7th & 8th, all herbs in 9cm pot are 0.98$ reg. 2.79.

THANKS!!!!!!! That is such a good price!!! I'll definitely go check it out

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Thank you guys so much for the idea to go to Jean Talon Market!!! I was there today with my son (bad idea, by the way - when you have something specific to buy). We had a crepe for $5, parked for $1.50, and then bought some plants. I thought the prices would be a little bit higher there, but they were actually so good!!!

Yes, there was also a "pesiticide free" booth, but I just couldn't justify paying $4/plant instead of $1/plant and the smaller ones $0.38!!!! If I was only buying a couple, sure! But I ended up buying about 30, so that would have been $120!! Too bad organic is always much more expensive

Anyway, at the booth I went they had the following plants:
    Medium-Large tomatoes $3
    Medium tomatoes $1
    All small plants 12/$4.50
    Herbs $2.50 I think? (I didn't get any of those, thanks to cbou!!)

I really must say that is an awesome deal!!! I spent $25 to FILL my whole garden with broccoli, cauliflower, 30+ tomatoes (cherry and regular; red and yellow), peppers, and will only need to go back next weekend to get my squash plants, because they said it was too early to put those out yet.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!! You saved me SO MUCH $$$$, rather than going to Botanix, Reno Depot, etc... I think last year I ended up spending over $50 and that was at the END of the season when everything was cheap!!! (because I moved, so everything was planted late).
    Last edited by miss__brittany; Sun, May 8th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

If anyone missed on the 0.99$ sale for the herbs. I got a new flyer for this week for another store in Laval.

At Les Grands Jardins ( also a Botanix) located by Curé Labelle & 440.

I got 22 last time but they didn't have the English thyme so I will go and get it there this wkd. Have to pass by there anyways.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    95 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cbou View Post
    If anyone missed on the 0.99$ sale for the herbs. I got a new flyer for this week for another store in Laval.

At Les Grands Jardins ( also a Botanix) located by Curé Labelle & 440.

I got 22 last time but they didn't have the English thyme so I will go and get it there this wkd. Have to pass by there anyways.
    Thanks, I actually did need a few more herbs, and had looked everywhere, but not seen anything below $2.50+

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Another great sale for your future gardens at Les Grands Jardins Botanix by hwy 440 in Laval.

Over 100 4in and 4.5in pots of plants at 1.99$ instead of 3.29$.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information