User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip :)

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

So my dh and I have decided that we are going to do a month long road trip to the east coast. We will be travelling with my 6 year old dd and hope not to travel for more the 4-6 hrs a day,
    Departing July 1st 2011 and having to be back the last Sunday of July (Maybe)
    So since Smart Canucks has people from all over this big country of ours I was wondering, have you embarked in such a trip before?

What are any tips you have or can think of?

And the big question of all, what are some things that are a must see on the east coast.
    I have already contacted each province's tourism board
    and got the magazines, but you all might have something you might have seen that is not in there.

I am open to all suggestions, we will be camping and staying in hotels/motels & Bed & Breakfast's as to get the greater experience.

Thanks in advance for all the great idea's
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You probably don't need a whole month, if you do it that way maybe you want to look at sorta setting up base camp for 4 or 5 days at a time (especially in PEI, the island is so small and you'll have a vehicle, you could set up in one place and easily travel every where else with out too much trouble).

I used to spend my summers in Prince Edward Island, they have lovely beaches, especially on the south coast, if you could rent out a cottage on the beach there you could settle there for a while pretty comfortably. They have a small amusement park called Sandspit in Cavendish that's a nice day trip, and it's not too far from Grandpa's Old Time Photo which is fun.

Your DD may want to see Anne of Green Gable's house (I recommend reading her the story before you go). In downtown Charlottown they often have people in costume that have information about confederation and history of the island and stuff which is a nice walk for a day. There's a little town called Victoria by the Sea that's absolutely lovely... but beware, my mom fell so in love with it that she actually bought a plot of land after spending less than an hour there (she found out that they have a full book store for a town of less than 100 people that barely even has a grocery store and was instantly in love). It's a more sedate pace on the island, which is probably best with a little one. Hug the red soil while you're there for me, I miss it dearly.

I have very fond memories of hiking down Signal Hill in St. Johns too. The trail ends in some guy's back yard. This sounds kinda weird but is actually funny and pretty much sums up St. Johns to me. In fact I remember lots of beautiful walks in Newfoundland, it's the place that sparked my interest in nature photography when I was younger.

Newfoundland had, hands down the nicest people I meet of all of the provinces (I've been to all of them except Sask.), not that anyone was mean else where but people were extra nice out there. We went out on a sail boat and went whale watching and cod fishing. If you're there at the right time of year (I don't remember when it was we were there when we did it), this is a fun trip. Make sure you pack some wind resistant coats though, it can get pretty windy on or near the water.

I don't remember New Brunswick and Nova Scotia as clearly. Not to say that they're not as nice, just, they didn't leave as deep an impression on me as Newfoundland and PEI.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

depends on which direction you are going then going to come back through...of course...and which in each province do you want to see.

New Brunswick -

Ganongs chocolate factory is in St. Stephen, New Brunswick during the summer months they have a chocolate festival and I was told when I was there that they open their factory to the public. Plus I always liked this house in town... but in Katimavik we lived in this house...

St. Andrews is like a cute little fishermans town on the water they have a hotel there that Stephen King wrote one of his novels on or based upon. The pic is of the hotel that was in the novel.

They have nice shops and great fish and chips.

Then there is the bay of fundy these great rocks that look cool when the tide is out. They boast to have the highest tides in the world. I suggest a trip to these rocks to walk on the bottom on the ocean floor as I call it. http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/

Shediac, NB had this large metal lobster

But I would've like to go and seen several things or gone places like Miramichi interesting name and it seems like they have lots of music festivals to stop at. Also Caraquet rich in acadien culture these two towns right on the water I believe would probably boast many things tasty like food restuarants you would not find inland.

Nova Scotia - I always wanted to visit I worked with lots of people who came from there. Halifax always sounded like a busy center with lots of activities to do or to be found. Also whatever they ment by the valley... Also they were a great find for rock and mineral shops because I am into that stuff.

New Foundland - St. John's the place where street festivals are quite frequent to be found in the summer time. At least that is what I see from someone I was involved with in Katimavik now lives there all year round. Aslo would like to visit there in the future I have lots of ancestry thats there and it be interesting to visit the cemetaries that we have photos of.

Quebec - I would say if I was doing a road trip I want to visit museums, street festivals, restuarants, basically do what the locals do. And try not to look like an ass speaking my broken french...
    Last edited by greentires4me; Mon, May 9th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Great Stuff Thanks!

What about decent price places to stay......

Yes, I have to books but there is nothing like a first hand experience

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Check out tripadvisor.com for places to stay, this way you have some opinions on the quality of the stay. I personally think you could spend a good month exploring, as your not going to travel *everyday* Sounds very relaxing.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks all We decided to do a month that way we did not have to rush and maybe miss things.

I never thought about Trip Advisor. Is it a good site. I was looking at red tag deals or something and was the reviews were mixed.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Just a short note - my friend and her husband own an INN in Cape Breton - he is a French (meaning France) trained gourmet chef. Beautiful views along where they live - right beside where the Bras D'Or Lake is connected to the sea. If you pm me, I'll give you their address and website. I particularly enjoyed whale watching off the west coast of Cape Breton and Cows Ice Cream in Halifax down by the dockside. Halifax is a great city!

I'm jealous - I'd love to go back east!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    Just a short note - my friend and her husband own an INN in Cape Breton - he is a French (meaning France) trained gourmet chef. Beautiful views along where they live - right beside where the Bras D'Or Lake is connected to the sea. If you pm me, I'll give you their address and website. I particularly enjoyed whale watching off the west coast of Cape Breton and Cows Ice Cream in Halifax down by the dockside. Halifax is a great city!

I'm jealous - I'd love to go back east!
    Thanks Will PM you right now!

Anyone else got tips or great places to stay

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks Everyone for the advise so far.... does anyone else have anything to add.

Things to remember to pack, places to see? anything

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Bring bug spray!!!!! so many mosquitoes around now!!!!!! and some after bite too!!!
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Great Tip Aussie. I have the after bite but forgot the bug spray

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have travelled down east from Ontario many times and it is beautiful. Every province has great things to see! We love the Acadian Village in N.B. It is a pioneer village showing the way Acadian people lived, and worked in the past.
    Travelling with kids can be hard because they get bored in the car for too long.I would suggest a cooler with healthy snacks in easy reach, a hand held game system and a portable dvd player with some fave movies. Plus stop alot to stretch your legs and use the bathroom. There are lots of road side rest stops along the highway to use.Don't forget good old travel games like spot the different license plate and even sing alongs. Have fun!!! By the way we are going to N.B, N.S. and PEI in August.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Thanks Winston and everyone else! I can't wait, we are all really excited and cant wait

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

No tips to offer but wanted to wish you a safe and happy trip and vacation. I would love to travel east as well.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Judstir View Post
    No tips to offer but wanted to wish you a safe and happy trip and vacation. I would love to travel east as well.
    Thanks

Well my bf did a simalar trip many years ago and she had the 7th edition Fordor's for out east. Some great stuff. But it got me thinking that it was the 7th edition and was published in 2002 maybe something had changed and maybe parts of the book I have were not good, so off I went to chapters to look for the updated version of this book and NOTHING. Hmm.... I thought.... so I came home and it was the same day the $5 coupon was posted on the blog! I found a copy of the book online @ chapters.ca and was able to cash in some of my web perspectives points to get some gift certificates and anyways long story short, I will be getting this book for FREE

Anyways.... sorry about going on and on but I am super excited....
    Also I downloaded a .pdf for KOA Campgrounds as well as some maps and have them on my e-book reader. SUPER Excited

This is a big trip for up and it seems like some of my family members are putting up road blocks and making things harder than they need to be!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information