User Tag List

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanrio View Post
    coupon pads are mostly empty. Cashiers are taking much longer time to reading coupons than before. More importantly, it's hard to use coupons now. More and more interesting rules/policies now than before.
    I've started to circle the important words for the cashiers.
    "Expiry date: Dec. 2011"
    "Includes all applicable taxes and handling fees."
    And, that three letter word that stumps them -

"Any"
    -- they don't seem to get this one.
    I usually hear, "It doesn't match the picture." and I say "It's the words that are important, not the picture"

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I always used to think that coupons were sort of an advertising scam and so I ignored them. For example, when I was little and growing up in Australia, coupons used to always expire really quickly, like within a week. So the store would never have the item on sale that week, obviously. That made it seem to me like coupons were always just a "trick".

Also there were a lot of what you might call "useless coupons" - we see them here still all the time. I can't remember the most recent one off the top of my head (since I didn't take any) but you know, something like buy three Olay body washes and get a deodorant for half price. Something that is making you spend more than you would without the coupon anyway.

So when I realized that you really can make a savings with good long expiry dates, stacking, adding a coupon to a sale price I was very surprised. I have not been couponing for long (before christmas) but I have found that with only 2 people in the household there is no real need for me to do huge planning and obsessing. We have a small supply of toiletries and canned goods and I might really only need to use a few coupons a week because we just don't go through product that much.

I probably could use overage to my advantage at Walmart but aside from that, there being so few coupons for produce and meat, milk, etc, it makes it so I only need to 'casual coupon' with a few coups a week to keep us stocked.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I guess I'm just confused about the fact that people who now want to use coupons have to justify their need/want to people who have been "coupon users forever etc". What's forever? Who determines that? Show or no show, people's greed will shine thru if that is who they are. Simply put, the show highlights this in people. And those who clear the pads, well ... that pace will only last so long. Then it's business as usual. I may not post a lot but I've been reading this forum for quite some time now.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

These days, when I hear someone talk about saving money in any way, someone else always asks "have you watched extreme couponing?".

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum before and after joining and I respect what everyone does and I think that for the amount of time that you put into this, you deserve to reap in the savings =)

I think that there will always be someone out there who would try and imitate the show now that they know it can be done and who will scheme in order to leave the store without opening their wallet. What many don't understand is that this show is what it's name implies...it's EXTREME. And just because you see someone with a few coupons, it doesn't mean they do this for a living.

I used to just use one or two coupons on one trip and that used to be enough for me. Then I saw this show and I started to be a little bit more smart about how I shop over all, as well as remembering what my mom taught me about shopping smart. I'm a college student and nearly done school. I would like to be able to buy a home and a really nice car one day and unfortunately, those things are NOT cheap. But if I can add up the savings and save in other places, I know that I can make it there. =)

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

I have been checking eBay for coupons actually and yes I believe people are taking coupons to sell them on here. I think it's wrong. Also who is dumb enough to buy coupons? Like really you are suppose to get the coupons free and be saving money... How are you saving money if you have to buy the coupons. Also the adds on there say you are not bidding on the coupons but my time to clip(steal) them. these kind of people are thing it for us... I mean Im not a coupon psycho I just use coupons to make sure my kids always have food as we have had no food issues in the past.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by baybey_doll View Post
    Ya and i hear from the cashiers how coupons have increased

at SDM today she really read the coupons but i had no problems getting what i needed

she also commented how its hard cause people bring in USA coupons etc

I am honest i do not try to pass on other coupons for something they arent

I am an aggressive couponer but a very timid shopper
    I also am very honest, even when i can get away with something from a cashier, i help them out so the store doesn't lose money!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been couponing, on and off, for about 20 years now. It started with my mum, cutting them out of magazines and newspapers back when I lived in England.

I think the EC show is probably going to be good for us, because it will raise cashier awareness. I've been couponing in Ontario since some time in 2003, and there have been times where I've really had to struggle to get them accepted, especially stacking and with multiple items. On the flip side of this though, there were times when I could hand over a stack of coupons and have them rung in whether they were valid or not.

I definitely notice people paying attention when I have coupons in my hand, or if my wife asks if I have a coupone you get 'that look.' I have been asked before if I stock up, and to be honest the only thing I have ever stocked on is detergent ... my all time best having been with over a years worth of dishwasher tablets for about $20. I have, though, started to hear a few suggestions of going over the border for a days couponing!

Now I'm not sure if it's just right now, seasonal or what ... but I have noticed actual food coupons becoming more rare.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

bump

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Love this post. I have read them all. I have been couponing for many years but never extreme. Even as a kid I learned about collecting the product codes and mailing in and getting cash in the mail, lol. A one dollar or two dollar bill. ( I'm 40).

I for one, do not like the extra attention from the show. I do though appreciate the savings the attention has brought to new people and families. I can take the extra attention and sometimes hassle, and boy they better be ready for the person they are given 'er to!

I am always prepared and organized when I go but the only 2 bad recent experiences were: 1) Shoppers ( just one store, the rest are great) not wanting to accept a french coupon. All I said to the cashier was , "Are you sure you really want to go down this road? ( The coupon was valid, legit, etc etc.. the issue was the French.) She knew where I was going about language laws. 2) Being told at a grocery when I had about 12 coupons ( I saved 23 bucks on a bill that would have been 60 something) "You are one of those coupon freaks." .. umm no Mame, I would not call it that, I said, better money in my pocket. I just smiled and humoured. The funny thing is that as she was cashing out the items she commented on the Fantastik B1G1 and needing to buy some. As I was on my way out I went in to my coupon folio and looked for my extra B1G1 and went back and gave it to her. SMILES, I think we have a new couponer!!
    Last edited by rayraycanuck; Thu, Jun 2nd, 2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I've started to circle the important words for the cashiers.
    "Expiry date: Dec. 2011"
    "Includes all applicable taxes and handling fees."
    And, that three letter word that stumps them -

"Any"
    -- they don't seem to get this one.
    I usually hear, "It doesn't match the picture." and I say "It's the words that are important, not the picture"
    I'm new to couponing but I've been highlighting that stuff and any other important words

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by galliefamily View Post
    I have been checking eBay for coupons actually and yes I believe people are taking coupons to sell them on here. I think it's wrong. Also who is dumb enough to buy coupons? Like really you are suppose to get the coupons free and be saving money... How are you saving money if you have to buy the coupons. Also the adds on there say you are not bidding on the coupons but my time to clip(steal) them. these kind of people are thing it for us... I mean Im not a coupon psycho I just use coupons to make sure my kids always have food as we have had no food issues in the past.

In the US there's websites similar to something like save.ca however you can order multiples of the coupons but you pay a handling fee for them to clip and send you the coupon. like 12 cents or something. so you can order 100 coupons if you want, but it'll cost you $12

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    55 (100%)

I am wondering if the stores will one day limit the quantities we can buy with our coupons.

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

i'm not a big fan because it is giving more attention to it ...i don't know, i guess it is like i have been using them only about 2-3 years but it feels like the more people who get good at it,the more companies may not give out as many (maybe not true but..)and realize what good deals we can get? It sorta felt good to be doing what others didn't as well, kinda singles you out and made you look smarter,lol.Plus as others mentioned, i notice tearpads completely gone :| .

Let's face it lots of selfish people watch t.v.Who will take a whole tearpad or sign up for multiple freebies which will be hard to get for the rest of us. Where as before the show,yes there were the occasional "trolls" but i am betting the longer this show is aired in Canada,the more viewers and more bad people will be introduced. It is not really fair to those who had to find it on our own due to struggling etc. There is nothing on the show i didn't already know being a member of smart canucks.

On the other hand cashiers are definately not being as mean to me and not taking 20 minutes to look over a coupon.

i notice aLOT of newbies on here lately to. NO i am not insulting every newbie or anything,just mentioning
    Last edited by kris10; Thu, Jun 2nd, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    597 (100%)

Hello Newbies!

I noticed not many people like me have posted here.

I too am named an Extreme Couponer all the time now, at first I didn't like it, but then I realized, it is something to be proud of.

I was at SDM this past week and a cx made the comment behind me " I wonder how low her bill will be", which put a smile on my face.

I hope that more coupons become available because of this and am going to be optimistic.

Happy couponing!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Since being on maternity leave, using coupons has made the dollar stretch further. Here in Quebec, I can almost bet you that the show is not as popular. I go into stores with my organized binder and get minimum savings of $25 on a $100 basket of groceries. I think that the show has brought the practice of couponing to the forefront, but it is by no means a new thing. I remember my parents clipping coupons and matching sales (I am 40) and now that they are seniors in their 70s, they still do it. In this economy, people are looking to save as much as they can. Anyone who faults us for that has way too much money.

I went into WM the other day, and had probably $130 worth of stuff and, with coupons, paid only 30$ and change. I had to raise a bit of a stink with the cashier, who did not know the policies, and there were a few people behind me in line. I asked if anyone would like to pass in front of me since we had to wait for a manager, and all said "no way, we want to see what happens....this is like that show". They all clapped and hoorayed when all my coupons went through (good to have the policy with me).

Using coupons has been around for a very long time. The show is just highlighting the need to save money that has been with us for ever. I think that the "fad" will wear off for many since it does take time to get the coupons and match up with the sales. Until then, we should just bide our time.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information