User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Trading Score
    136 (100%)

If I am taxed at a pre-coupon rate, and therefore must pay taxes on the full price of the product even with the use of my coupon, the coupon is a form of tender and not a discount.

It seems fairly simple and I have a a feeling this is why they say the policy is one way, but the actual systems function as coupons being a form of tender (thus reducing your OOP on a 20X event).

There is no way an organization the size of SDM would allow themselves to 'loose' hundred's of thousands of dollars in Optimum points using their current systems, if they could legally avoid it. If in fact they have been, I would expect that their accounting firm would be sued for negligence for allowing this to continue unchecked for years.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mamasavesmoola View Post
    If I am taxed at a pre-coupon rate, and therefore must pay taxes on the full price of the product even with the use of my coupon, the coupon is a form of tender and not a discount.

It seems fairly simple and I have a a feeling this is why they say the policy is one way, but the actual systems function as coupons being a form of tender (thus reducing your OOP on a 20X event).

There is no way an organization the size of SDM would allow themselves to 'loose' hundred's of thousands of dollars in Optimum points using their current systems, if they could legally avoid it. If in fact they have been, I would expect that their accounting firm would be sued for negligence for allowing this to continue unchecked for years.
    I agree completely -- and it seems a lot of us think this. I just posted the following in the 'here, flyer, flyer, flyer" thread (so many threads and conversations going on about this!):

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Insane
    Okay, I had to add one more thing....the companies read this site and similar sites. Anyone who doesn't think that is naive. So, they obviously already knew because people post brags about it, and we discuss it openly here!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krazytwacy
    for some reason shoppers doesn't want to let people know though. I think she singled him out though because she was clearly frustrated with him. LOL I bet nothing changes and really it is easy to get to 50 for me.

I agree with both of you. SDM has been saying for the longest time that the points promos are after coupons and train their cashier and managers to repeat that. Why? They want people to spend more. A lot of people buy extra to get their total above $50 'after' coupons "just in case." I have personally shown 3 managers and at least 2 cashiers that this is not the case.

I wish people would stop saying this is a loophole. This is the way it is supposed to be -- but SDM won't come out and admit that coupons are treated as cash.

Did anyone notice that SDM doesn't address this issue in their 'new coupon policy' - i.e. the FAQs (so far -- actual policy yet to be seen)? The reason is not that they didn't know until Steve on FB brought it to their attention, as they want us to believe. They know, as Insane and krazytwacy said. It's because they can't come out and say the coupons they accept are not treated like cash because that is untrue and probably illegal (if I understand CCRA's position on how coupons are to be treated).

And if they could change the way they treat coupons during points events, don't you think they would have done it for this 'new coupon policy'?

SDM is already suffering financially. It would be suicide for them to try to mess with this. If fact, I think it's pretty dumb for them to even say they are going to mess with it.

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Wed, Jun 15th, 2011 at 05:12 AM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

SDM has always known about this issue, it will not change because they cannot change it.
    On their website the info given on 20x events states that "Shoppers Optimum Points are based on net (purchase price less discounts) pre-tax purchases."
    There is no mention of coupons because a coupon is not a discount. A discount is a reduction in price offered by the retailer, we pay tax on the discounted price.
    A manufacturers coupon is an alternate form of payment, we are still paying tax on the full retail price.
    There is nothing they can do because legally the merchandise has been paid for in full with no discount in price and therefore no reduction in the amount of GST being collected.
    They do not have to accept coupons, but since they do they have to abide by the taxman's rules.

Trading Score
    32 (97%)

EDITED TO BE NICE..no matter how funny that was!!!
    Last edited by Sherbear609; Wed, Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Who is STeve?

I think the new policy is fair and other than the "using coupons during 20x pts days" I was following all the rules anyways.

I earned $50 in Amazon Gift Cards in my first month at Swagbucks!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Scarecrow7

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I'm confused, and hoping someone can help. 20x the points this weekend. Will we get the points if we use coupons like we used to?
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scarecrow View Post
    Who is STeve?

I think the new policy is fair and other than the "using coupons during 20x pts days" I was following all the rules anyways.
    Steve is posting lots of non sense on SDM facebook page. I was told that he is a SC hater. He pointed out "flaws" on SDM policy, he said that many people are getting their 20X points during spend $50 or $75 events by using coupons thus reducing the OOP. SDM's response is they will look into this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

I'm too worked up about it, I really believe they can't "fix" the registers, and this is how it is "legally" supposed to be. I can't imagine that they can reprogram all these new registers they've rolled out over the last year. Either way ,we'll know Saturday.

And this Steve person, yikes. He mentions "sc" by name several times, and every post is full of vitriol. He also linked to some blog outlining the "faults" here. I wouldn't respond, he sounds like a troll. They are dealt with best by ignoring!

What I don't understand is all the posts repeatedly drawing it too their attention about how it was with coupons, and what the policy says. geez, could we paint a bigger target on it?

Just my 2 cents .

jes
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    62 (100%)

How do GCs play into this? Do you get points for buying a GC? I need to buy one, but I can wait until Sat if I would get the points.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They can easily fix this by entering the coupons the same as manager special stickers which are no pointable - if it is legal to do so
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    How do GCs play into this? Do you get points for buying a GC? I need to buy one, but I can wait until Sat if I would get the points.
    Yes, you get points on SDM GCs only but you would never get 20x on a SDM GC so it will not change that
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    216 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    They can easily fix this by entering the coupons the same as manager special stickers which are no pointable - if it is legal to do so
    Didn't think of that. Either way, we'll know Saturday. I still don't understand why people keep bringing it up on facebook and bringing it to their attention.

But they've also said this about it being after coupons, and people have asked and emailed or called, so if they were going to fix it, wouldn't they have fixed it by now?

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    that would be so wrong.

when you look at your reciept, the coupon is a seperate item. they aren't reducing the price of the item they sold you when you use a coupon. i still pay taxes on the full amount.

i think there is a consumer protection issue here. they are taking it as legal payment and are being reimbursed by the manufacturer. to penalize the customer has to be wrong.

we enter into an agreement with them when we sign into their customer loyalty program/customer research program. there are rules we agree to, and they agree to offer us points and bonuses for staying loyal to their company.

if they double dip by not giving us the points we were promised because we have paid partially by coupon, and they turn around and are reimbursed 100% for that coupon then there has to be a legal issue here that they are messing around with.

they might not like it, but i think they are so totally wrong.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I am hoping for the best on Saturday. If we do not get 20X bonus after coupons, it really does defeat the purpose of going to Shoppers. Their prices are too high to make economical sense -- especially for those who can stack at London Drugs, Save-on-Foods or go to their local Walmart. However, as said, I am hoping for the best....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    we enter into an agreement with them when we sign into their customer loyalty program/customer research program.
    Interesting point about signing something, I didn't read the agreement but doesn't it probably say somewhere that they reserve the right to change their policies at any time or take all your points away, or end the program completely, for basically whatever reason they feel like? Did anyone see the Southpark where apple starts kidnapping people because they agreed to it in the terms and conditions? Maybe I should start reading the fine print afterall...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information