User Tag List

Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Hi All,

So after witnessing, listening and experiencing the evolving coupon policies, restrictions and refusals of coupons; I decided to write to CTV-BC Steele on your side, formerly known as Olson on your side. Lynda Steele, the reporter has already came back to me and asked if I want to be featured as a frustrated couponer. Now if anyone knows me I don't really take anything to seriously so I could not stop laughing. Then again this is a great oppotunity to get these stores more consistant, and thanking us for using coupons.

I do however request for examples of inconsistant policy applications that you have experienced at stores, or other couponing horror stories that you would like to share. I know we are suppose to quit the negativity, but this negativity will definately and hopefully lead to lots of positivity.

Here is the email I wrote:
    Hi Lynda

Congratulations on being on the CTV team. TLC released a series call “Extreme Couponing” featuring Americans scoring big grocery hauls saving 90% - 100% on their grocery bills. This has resulted in a boom of inspired Canadians who are striving to maximize their savings using coupons. One of the biggest things standing in the way of a couponer, and has frustrated many cashiers are coupon policies, and how they are being inconsistently applied amongst the locations. Shoppers Drug Mart and Superstore more recently have started to publish new coupon policies to hopefully clear up a bunch of questions. With so many couponers entering the market, the Head offices of many retail and grocery stores have been inundated with emails and calls complaining about inconsistencies, or asking for official coupon policies. Even the wording on the coupon itself raises a lot of arguments. Defining the meaning between purchase and transaction. If the coupon is for a free product, does that also mean free of taxes? London Drugs and Save of Foods allow coupon stacking. Allowing customers to use multiple coupons on a single item. London Drugs has been doing this for years, whereas Save on Foods has just recently adopted this. Just by contacting London Drugs you will find how many people email them constantly asking for clarity and complaining about inconsistent policies. I know I have emailed them at least 4 times. To also change the perception of the couponer. I hate going to the grocery store and have a manager get mad at me, and make me feel like I am stealing from them. Stores get the full value of the coupon back, and a handling fee for accepting the coupon. If anything the store should be thanking me for using coupons, as they are getting a little bit more in revenue because of it.

I hope you will be able to clear up a lot of questions and get these stores consistent.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Hello.

I did my regular weekly shop at RCSS this past weekend. I am a strong couponer and I take time to be current on every bit of information. I know all store policies and I carry them in my binder. I did my grocery shop and took time to take advantage of some good deals using both a CZ coupon and a manufacturer coupon. I was hoping to cut about $80 off my regular shop. Everything turned sour when the supervisor was called to help with overrides at the till as the cashier only has permission to enter in $10 worth of coupons(a separate and frustrating issue on it's own). She began to ring in my stack of coupons which was about 30 plus (combination of both types) She then stopped and began to *inform* me that the company's policy has changed about a week prior and they could no longer accept 2 coupons per item, only 1 coupon of either type.

I barely heard anything else she said because I was mad, embarrassed and confused. I had been on the SC site a few times that day and saw something about a *possible* policy change but nothing in effect. After searching for about 20 minutes I found a thread in an uncommon spot about a customer who saw the change posted on the front door of her RCSS store as well as next to the coupon board. That was 4 or 5 days prior.

My frustration came from the fact that the cashier was not informed of the new policy and they took no time to inform their customers. A notice on the front door, near the coupon board and at the tills would have been wonderful!

Instead I had to dig through my packet groceries and give back the items that I didn't *really* need but was going to stock up on because I would eventually need but wanted to take advantage of because of the double coupons and savings.

The saddest part is that this was my husbands first peek into my shopping with coupons, and we were excited about some great deal we had gotten. He walked away with a sour experience and I was deflated

damp is a gross word.
    Trading Score
    263 (100%)

Well written letter - be proud! I look forward to this report - great opportunity.

FT: AYLMER ACCENTS / LEAN CUISINE / LYSOL HANDSOAP / GOLD BOND and more
    ? Are you curious ? My quest to separate cheese from bras in the Deals & Flyers Forum

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

That's exciting, good luck with the interview! I can't think of a specific example at the moment, but I find what frustrates me is not knowing a store's coupon policy because they either don't have one or you just can't find it...they're not that easy to find (unless posted somewhere here on smartcanucks). If I don't know the coupon policy I'm reallly not interested in shopping at the store, don't want to spend time reading the flyer, making a list, getting my coupons ready & driving to the store only to find out that a coupon won't be accepted or they changed their "rules" from the week before. More consistency would definitely help!

Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Thank you so much for sharing. Please let me know of other concerns you have as a couponer. Lynda (The reporter) has decided to focus the story on the coupon craze and concerns that we have as couponers.

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

That is soo exciting Crissy!!!

Thread Information