User Tag List

Thread: recycle walks

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I am trying to get up enough nerve to go on one of these recycle walks. I am not a newbie anymore, but when it comes to recycle walks that do not involve peaking in my big blue bin for the complex i live in...I am . Do any of you have any tips like the best time of day to go without getting noticed or anything else that might help.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    I have saved a total of $471.69 since June 1, 2011. Tracker available at http://www..ca/coupontracker/

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I peak when I am taking my dogs for a walk. I don't dig however. The only thing I have ever found was a blue bag full of bottles. Took the dogs home and parked until noone was looking. Live in a small neighbourhood. I see lots of cereal boxes but none with coupons.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

I have never dove in a dumpster, I am just curious about the looks I might get picking some of this stuff up that is just sitting there. I have taken from the blue bin as I am putting in my recycle if I see somerthing with a coupon on it. As for it being illegal..I doubt it unless it invloves someones private property..but then again since I dont actually dive I am probably not the best one to answer that question
    I have saved a total of $471.69 since June 1, 2011. Tracker available at http://www..ca/coupontracker/

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I am Sorry Mrs.Shopaholic. That was not directed at you. Have a good night.

Mennonite
    Trading Score
    152 (99%)

I have a different problem. I don't mind going into dumpsters but my husband doesn't want me to do it alone and late at night. I also can't go on a walk around my block or anything because everyone here blue bags it and I'm not about to take the whole blue bag.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

It's not illegal if the items are obvious refuse and are easily accessible to the public. There is no expectation of privacy, and ownership has been given up. Once you start going through fences or breaking into locked bins, you're in trouble. The city has a bylaw on the books saying all garbage is city property, but the Supreme Court struck down a similar bylaw in Ontario in 2008, so Edmonton's has become unenforceable. The city can only claim ownership once it is in a truck, or taken to a manned depot.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lanand View Post
    It's not illegal if the items are obvious refuse and are easily accessible to the public. There is no expectation of privacy, and ownership has been given up. Once you start going through fences or breaking into locked bins, you're in trouble. The city has a bylaw on the books saying all garbage is city property, but the Supreme Court struck down a similar bylaw in Ontario in 2008, so Edmonton's has become unenforceable. The city can only claim ownership once it is in a truck, or taken to a manned depot.
    Thanks you rock!!!

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

What is the best time then if i want to do this? Is it better early in the morning or late at night?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I think early morning is better in the summer, light is good and there are fewer people around. In the evening there is always someone in the alley working, or in their back yard with a fire etc....

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Another good way to get inserts etc is (if you live in an apartment building) speak with your Landlord and ask her what apartment numbers are vacant.

I go throughout my 4 story apartment building and go to every vacant apartment and take the flyers/inserts that are hooked onto the front of the door!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would suggest early morning or late evening just prior to garbage pickup. In our neighborhood people put out recycle the night before or the early morning of pickup.

A word of caution if you are going to the large bins make sure it is not on a windy day as the lids can come down heavy. Some homeless person was killed several years ago as a result. It might have something to prop up the lid properly.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not that I would expect any repercussions, but I must disagree with those who have specified it's not illegal. Technically the items I put at the end of my driveway in the blue box are legally mine, although there is an assumed contract, for removal if you like, between the property owner and the city/municipality for it. The company that takes it away is a sub-contractor to the agreement.
    You as an individual do not have the legal right to take away what I put out, as you and I have no agreement, or assumption of one.

If you go through a private dumpster, such as those in apartment buildings and commercial area, then it is more so. The dumpsters for commerce are generally in direct contract with either the owning entity or the business, as these are always excluded from the public, as opposed to being covered by cities or municipality.

Just because I have thrown it away does not bequeath you ownership of it.

Thread Information