User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PamperedChefgirl
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am going through a highly contentious divorce with no child support money though the house bills are paid until the end of June when I'll likely have to move.

Until I am bought out of the house and get my half of the equity to pay off my credit card bills that have been keeping us fed I have fortunately been able to find $ or savings in unexpected places.

$2.30 in beer bottles and cans on Tuesday

Another $4.10 in beer bottles, can and liquor bottles from a walk down my road

Coupons from grocery stores, trades and gifts from new friends on Smart Canucks

My sister picked up an exersaucer for $5, a wagon for $5 and a baby vibrating chair for $2 for me all at a second hand place.

My neighbour has offered to buy a desk and hutch that we are not using for $30.

I am hoping to list some items on Kijiji as well. I am hoping to get about $200 from the items I have to sell.

Please share any ideas you have on ways I can make some money while I care for my three young children.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    I really really need grocery FPCs & coupons!!! Happy mom of 3 young children
    Will trade $50 in coupons for a $5 Amazon.ca e-gift card OR $100 in coupons for $10 grocery gift cards!
    Earn FREE Amazon.ca gift cards by searching!http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/divinedivagirl

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

Have you tried a recycle bin walk. You could co out with your new wagon and bring back quite a haul I'm sure. I hope things look up for you soon.
    Looking For: Coca Cola, Chocolate Bars, Dole Juice, Fruitsource Bars, Nature Valley Chewy Bars, Mentos.
    PM ME FOR A TRADE!!!!!!!!!

2011 coupon savings:

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

I wasn't working for nearly a year and had very little income (what I had saved was what I was living on) and with this site and the wealth of information I really learned how to stretch those dollars. Have you thought about taking in a couple kids and doing child care? Great source of income

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Divinedivagirl,
    I hope it all works out for you.
    But, I got to congratulate you on your resourcefulness. You are trying to make something good out of something bad. Great that you are able to find money when you need it . Some people would throw up their hands and mope. At least you are out there trying to do the best you can.
    Congrats.
    Positive thought coming your way.
    Shwa Girl.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

u can always check out you local freecycle. u never know ... some people may be offering stuff that u could use. Good Luck!

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

I feel your pain....but when life gives you lemons you make lemonaid...or now I'm thinking Mike's Hard Lemonaid...LOL!! Keep positive...recycle walks are a great idea! They have helped me so much! When my son's off school...they are our thursday treasure hunts.
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (50%)

it might not be as quick as you liked, but if you go to surveyhead . com you can get paid to do online surveys - you need a certain amount to cash out, but eventually when you have enough (you might qualify for more surveys than I did) you can get money put into a paypal account or other gift cards etc.
    www.partylite.biz/sites/courtneyscandles

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www..ca/coupontracker/couponwidget.php?facebookid=730330123"></script>

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I just did a market research group this week and was paid $85 for two hours...however, not sure if that would work for you as you have children to take care of. I also take clothes to a consignment store. In Vancouver alot of families take in foreign students (room & board) and get paid quite well for doing that, not sure if that works for you back east, plus you said you were moving. I hope this helps at least a bit, and I give you alot of credit for not being a victim, hang in there and let your friends on SmartCanucks know if you need any help/support!

Trading Score
    327 (100%)

I'm not sure how if you would like this idea but I'm a REGAL representative and I think it's a good way to make money if you can get your catalogues out there and are great with people. It doesn't take too much time either. I don't know how young your kids are but you could deliver catalogues around your neighbourhood while out for a walk with them. Just a thought. I love it! It will get better

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

If you can find a sitter (family is great, then it's free...usually) there's companies out there that hire you for a day and pay cash at the end of the day. One of the companies my husband worked for hired 2-3 people everyday just for his sites (he builds houses) The work isn't glamorous, mostly sweeping & picking up around site, but it's a good days work, If I remember correctly they were paid about $15/hr. No commitment and you can just go in on the days you're able to find someone, short notice isn't a bad thing there.
    The company here in Edmonton is called diversified, not sure if the same company is in Ontario or not.

Also, if you're on kijiji why not offer your services for cleaning, or babysitting, or any talents you have (sewing, book keeping) or have a garage sale.
    There's lots of ladies on SC that have put together baskets of toiletries for men and women and sold them as sets at garage sales. Using the coupons you have or trade for to get things for cheap to free and sell them for a bit more.
    I know some people frown on it as a way to make money, but charity begins at home, if you really need it then you really need it.
    Good luck!
    moefox

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My suggestion is also the gift basket idea. Offer baskets for sake on kijiji, or offer to make some as special occasion gifts for your friends and family. You can use almost any pretty, clean container...doesn't always have to be a basket, and you can find just about any type of ribbon and accessories at the dollar store. If you do have to move, this has the added bonus of helping you clear out done stock pile before you have to pack.
    Good luck in everything.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

things i've done to make ends meet: if you have a freezer, find out when your grocery store marks down meat and bread and stock up. someone mentioned Regal... Avon also is another way to make additional income and great way to meet people too. garage sales are a great way to get toys, books and clothes for your kids at 1/4 the price. most are very well kept. if your friends have older children they may even pass on things to you that their children have grown out of. good luck.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Sell off any unused items (or your ex's items he left behind) on Craigslist/Kijiji/Cheap Cycle. If you think you will need to move, downsize your stuff by having a garage sale or two. You will be surprised at how much you can make on what you might think is junk. One man's junk is another man's treasure!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I am going to suggest seeing a community financial advisor (probably is a free session for first visit) through a non-profit agency. See if you are advised to record your income/expenses that you have personally collected/paid out of pocket. Keep a journal (keep receipts) of what you have made/spent to date and make entries. It may be helpful in your case when you talk to the lawyer/judge about monthly costs to keep family fed/sheltered/clothed.

Make friends with trusted neighbours. If they can help out with spot childcare when you have to go to appointments, maybe you can reciprocate with gardening or lawncutting help if neighbours could use your help. This could be the time to call your friends (think of it as preparatory planning-plan A before moving on to plan B) and tell them your needs and ask if they can help you to meet one or more of them. Esp. if the housing need is going to be the key one in a month's time.

If you do get into the catalogue sales, that income will likely factor into your legal proceedings i.e. ongoing source of income. As furniture can be considered part of joint assets, unless you have a pre-up or document that lists what things are yours, I'd be super careful about selling furniture. Because you mention that you have no child support at the moment, ask your legal advisor about how the court would see any furniture sales in order to get money to keep the family needs covered.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, May 14th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i'm so sorry you are going thru a rough time, especially with little ones

you are being resourceful that's great on the other end, i have no idea what your expenses are, but is there anywhere you can possibly cut back?

there was another thread a while back where someone was having a hard time with expenses and needed ideas on cutting back.

there were some great suggestions like looking at the services that they were using, and scaling them back to the most basic. going back to dial up internet, basic phone service, even canceling cable. cashing out any points saved on rewards programs. making sure that everything in the pantry is used before buying more. little things like that can save a lot of money when added up
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information