User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Has onyone ever driven down to Montana from Edmonton just to shop?? I am very interested in maybe going this weekend and on the map Great Falls seems to be the closest place.... any advice? I have never done this before. Is this the best place to go it seems like a small town maybe?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

.... well maybe next long weekend...

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I know meat and cheese are supposed to be cheaper but from the websites that I could see... Walmart and Albertsons groceries prices don't really look like awesome or anything ... there are a few items that I would say are close to awesome prices but overall I was not totally sold on the idea.... an opportunity came up for a last minute trip but I think more planning is better if I want to take best advantage of US shopping

Mennonite
    Trading Score
    152 (99%)

I've never gone across the boarder From Alberta but when my family go back home me make it a point of going to across the boarder. I find that maybe not all the prices are that great but they have different stuff then we have. We found spiderman mac and cheese for my son. Some of the prices were significantly better too which is always nice. You totally should go but I agree a little planning never hurt anything.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Montana is not that great for shopping, Washington and Oregon are the best (no tax)!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you're doing it just to shop it seems like you would waste a lot of gas getting there compared to the savings you would get.Then there is waiting in a long line at the border then you might be taxed on what you bring back.If you're going there to vacation anyway then you may as well shop while there.
    Last edited by Poirot; Fri, Jul 29th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

NO TAX wins... Washington state sounds like the place to go... now to figure out the best shopping place to go in Washington. then best timeline. then make the plan. If the dollar stays good one way or the other I will make a trip before the snow flies I hope.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

We have have gone to Great Falls in past vacations and it didn't seem like a great place. I agree that I would rather go to Washington.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My mother lives about an hour out of Great Falls. It is not a big city and has very little shopping. A few good outdoor stores if you are interested.

Spokane Washington and Couer D'lene Idaho are larger and have better shopping.

Our dollar is good now and some of their goods are cheaper but honestly to make a special trip it is not worth it in my opinion. Both cities are quite a bit further away than Great Falls...you have to go to Cranbrook or Fernie BC and then cross the border.

Missoula Montana is a beautiful college town with a bit more shopping but then again it is further away as it is further south and west.

Better to go in the fall, less road traffic...

P.S. In some stores in the state of Washington they waive the tax for Albertans but you have to ask they do not offer and you need to ask before the sale is rung up. They did not do this in Idaho.
    Last edited by Kelkens; Fri, Jul 29th, 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: addition

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We travel to Great Falls, MT from Red Deer, AB once a year to shop. It has all your basic stores (Walmart, Target, Kmart, ShopKo, Dollar Tree, Sears, Ross, JC Penny, Herbergers, etc.). It is not a huge place but we find that there is everything we need there. Billings is also nice but farther away. I didn't find Missoula to be any better than Great Falls.

Montana has no sales tax and prices are definitely cheaper than in Canada. We usually go in August because summer stuff is super cheap and fall/back to school stuff is out and on sale.

Washington does have a state sales tax but Albertans can get an exemption. I have never tried this but I have heard it can be a pain in the butt. The shopping is pretty good in Washington because so many Canadians cross the border to shop there. It is a much farther drive than Montana though.

Idaho also has a sales tax and I really didn't enjoy shopping there. It would also be farther to drive than Montana I believe.

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Spokane and Couer d'Lene are the best!

Trading Score
    90 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KaraMA View Post
    Washington does have a state sales tax but Albertans can get an exemption. I have never tried this but I have heard it can be a pain in the butt.
    I've always said "I am tax exempt" and have my driver's license handy. I've never had a problem!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think it depends on what you are looking for..

When we shop in the U.S. I am looking for stuff that I can not get here. I have son that is about 5'9 with a 28 inch waist...super skinny and tall. It's next to impossible to find jeans that size for men here but in bigger centres like Seattle it's not a problem at all.

I like Missoula because there are different kinds of little shops there but I agree is it not that big either.

It's not that difficult to get the tax exemption in Washington. You just have to make sure you ask before hand and you have to sign.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I love the internet. $10 for shipping and no driving or sales tax. Obviously I don't buy groceries but I buy tonnes of other things. I just makes sure I buy a lot and make sure there is a good shipping rate and return policy. I love the new low US dollar. I am in crafting heaven and I have bought quite a few clothes do to the difficulty I have buying for myself (size 2), my daughter (tiny waist, long legs) and my husband 32" x 38".

Rika
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

well lots to ponder over....since I've never done the trip and actually haven't been across the US border in over 10 years I will definitly be doing this with more planning so all thoughts are appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information