User Tag List

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I was visiting an elderly friend today and she had gotten a call telling her that her computer had a virus and that she was to turn it on and they would walk her through how to "fix it".... SCAREY STUFF!! Thankfully she told them that she was too old and did not know how to use the computer and they would have to call back when her daughter was home. They persisted over and over pressuring her to do as they told her and how important it was. She said that she was not really feeling "with it" and did not know really what to make of it. When they finally gave up she called another friend who told her to call the police. I urged her to do the same. I am concerned as she basically did tell them though that she was home alone and she is 89 years old. So I think that just an fyi for the area if you to share this happening as it was local to Glencoe but can happen anywhere. There is a particular target apparently for seniors.

The one thing that was interesting was that they asked first for "Eric" and then when told no one by that name lived there they called back 1/2 an hour later asking for "Mrs ...." Well they got her name out of a phone book that did not provide her first name. They then asked her for her full first name... she did not provide that but could have. They asked where she lived. She said that she realized if they were actually her internet provider they would have had that information. When she questioned the woman scammer on the phone about this the woman told her that she was from a company that had been hired by her internet provider and did not have the full information she needed for my friend's account but needed it to help her.

Let people know and share the word! Especially tell seniors and younger children... to ensure safety!!

thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Target

Trading Score
    221 (100%)

I got one of those phone calls today too!!!! They are very pushy. But asked what operating system I had. Well if youknow I have a virus then why the heck don't you know what kind of operating system I have!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

I get that call twice a month, I keep telling them not to call me anymore as my computer has crashed and no longer works,(right now at my moms in sarnia using hers), but they just keep calling from a different number each time

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

In the past I just pretended I was "in the act" if you know what I mean. They hung up fast. After they called multiple times I figured I would fix them. A trick I learned from work and had someone do that to me LOL!
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I was just ticked off and I will check to see if my elderly friend in fact called the OPP here!! They will refer her to a Fraud Squad OPP # for the report and I think it is wise for anyone to report if they have been having this happen!! For Sure!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

This happened to me a few months back! They are quite convincing and to anyone who is not computer savvy I can see how they might get fooled. I played along somewhat but started asking them questions about my static IP etc and they hung up on me pretty fast. Have not had another call from them since!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/

This is an incredible site! A lot of people I share it with have never heard of it...
    It gives you information on the top scams, and offers information if you have fell victim to one! There is also an option to report a fraud!

Thread Information