User Tag List

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

debating whether to get a digital camera or dslr. have to take lots of sports/motion pic of my kids.
    any suggestions?
    thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    FT: Wonder+,Post, Alberto, Axe, and more...Check out my thread "make your own bundle for 2 stamps" Thanks

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

This all depends on what you want to be able to do with it.

There are some great Digi's out there now that take great photos and video. They are user friendly and dont require you to know how to set things like aperture or shutter speed.

When using a DLSR you can set it to auto mode, but if you are going to do that you might as well leave it at home and bring your pocket digi.

The other benefit of DLSR is the interchangable lenses. These are EXPENSIVE but can allow you to do portraits of child painting to capturing them running across a field 40 metres away.

Find a local camera store and go in and talk to the staff, they are really knowledgable and most are friendly. We even have a camera store here that will price match any competitor's ad and that can save you a bucket load of money while still giving you the personalized attention you get from the specialty store.

Hope that helps and have fun!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

There are definitely pros and cons to both... biggest con to DSLR is the size and weight. Not exactly "hiking through the mountains" convenient, but the quality of the photos is worth it if you take a lot of photos at home.

Personally, I have both, just because of the convenience of tossing my little digital in my purse when we're going somewhere that I don't want to haul my DSLR backpack around.

Not sure if that helps?

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i agree with the previous poster i have both... and i use both.. i find that the regular digi is more flexible.. i can carry it around.. put it in my purse.. i'm not so worried about it getting bumped and i don't have to handle it with as much care as my DSLR, the digi is great for quick photos (just pull out slide the power take a pic) where the DLSR is more hands on.. with a lens cap, always in it's special camera bag (another cost) it does beautiful photos but not the easiest camera to quickly yank out to capture the instant moments on a whim.. though saying that i LOVE my DSLR i love the pix that come off it that i got a decent zoom, heck i even love the sound it makes as you snap a picture lol
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Good! I'm not the only "weirdo" that loves the sounds my camera makes... almost feels like magic, huh?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you have to ask this question then you're not ready for a DSLR simple as that. Don't be one of those people that buy a DSLR to use on auto mode.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

^ not sure if the above comment was necessary? maybe wasn't meant to be rude, but kind of comes across that way...

OP - I love photography and am EXTREMELY happy with the purchase of my DSLR, but will definitely say I sat on the fence for a long time because of the cost alone... you do what is best for you

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by emmy3111 View Post
    ^ not sure if the above comment was necessary? maybe wasn't meant to be rude, but kind of comes across that way...

OP - I love photography and am EXTREMELY happy with the purchase of my DSLR, but will definitely say I sat on the fence for a long time because of the cost alone... you do what is best for you
    It wasn't meant to be mean but a honest opinion that OP knows nothing about the wonderful world of DSLR. OP doesn't even know what DSLR to get if he/she chooses to go that route. Does she want Canon or Nikon or the up and coming Sony? How much is she willing to spend? $400? $1500? $4000? $6000+. Does she want just fast action pictures? If so she she needs a fast zoom lens and need to spend money to get one as kit lenses are crap. The best thing for people to do when they jump from a point and shoot is to say "I'm ready to move onto something better with more control" so that their picture can turn out great. If she worded her OP as the fact she wants crisp fast action picture that her point and shoot don't offer then I would say get a DSLR. From the way she worded her OP, it shows she hasn't taken the simple task to google what a DSLR can offer her. Somebody that don't do that may not use the DSLR to it's fullest capacity and become one of those "auto" people which I think should remain a point and shoot photographer. Plus I'm even wondering if OP knows how much a DSLR can cost her if she gets serious.

I think the Nex 5 may be what OP is looking for. High quality DSLR material but still fairly easy to use in a small size. Plus the ability to shoot raw.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I have both, too. Digi is great if you`re out and about. I only use my DSLR for events and photoshoots. You can even find both used for a good price. I found my SLR for 300.

Thread Information