User Tag List

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

i was wondring if someone could help me on this one. we are looking to finally get with the times & get a cell phone. with winter comming i'd hate to be stuck on the side of the hwy with the little ones. i'm looking for the best plan i can get. we really only need it for emergency situations & maybe the odd call so nothing fancy required. if anyone has any info on a great provider with low cost in wpg./steinbach area it would be totally appreciated.

thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hi, I'm in SK, but saw the post.
    Definitely look into going with pay as you go - we got 7-Eleven Speakout. It's great if you don't use a lot of minutes, because they are good for a whole year.
    They often have promos and deals on phones/minutes as well. Never a problem with service, and it's great too because there's no monthly service charge, just 911 charge.

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

This is a great promo, on just til the end of the month
    http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promot...-off-any-phone

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

We have the safety plan through MTS that costs $12.99/month, we own our phones (they're old flip phones) and aren't on any kind of contract with them ... pay as you go would be ideal too. To keep costs down I know to stay away from any fancy data plans or signing a contract - they'll ring you in for 3 years.

Coupon Queenie #376
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

also, if you r connected through MTS already and have phone, tv, and interent through them then you should be able to get a cheap free cell phone as well as a free plan up $28 or something like that. I have had mine for awhile now and pay like $3 a month for it unless I go over the plan which I never do.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

umm... I'll have to phone again and ask the loyalty department about the $3/month. I was told the 12.99 plan was the absolute cheapest with MTS since there is that ridiculous charge of $6 for something tacked on no matter what you go with.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

thanks for all the info so far.

much appreciated!

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

That plan the other SC'er was referring to is not available anymore

I work for MTS

It was if you had tv, internet, and home phone you got a free cell phone contract (3yrs) up to 28.50 a month

Now the promo has changed a bit - kinda better kinda not

If you have any combo of 4 MTS services you get a $43.50 credit every month = $15 bundle + $28.50 credit

so if you have 3 service already and you add a $24.99 plan + $3.50 wireless service fee = $28.50 the credit you receive when you apply for the bundle = FREE cell phone

thing is you must keep all services for the 3yrs - if you disconnect just one the credit will remove itself - but if you are a loyal MTS customer and have been with them for years the credit will not remove itself until you upgrade your plan

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikefree View Post
    umm... I'll have to phone again and ask the loyalty department about the $3/month. I was told the 12.99 plan was the absolute cheapest with MTS since there is that ridiculous charge of $6 for something tacked on no matter what you go with.
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Fri, Sep 23rd, 2011 at 08:09 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I'm with Natalka! We looked into this at the beginning of the year, as we only wanted a phone to use very, very occasionally and for emergencies when out with our little ones. We chose Speakout, too, as we found it was the least expensive. With a $100 card, and the phone deal that was on at the time, we paid about $144. These minutes are good for a year (charged at $.25 per minute), and if you top up before they expire, you get to keep them. So for this first year it is about $12 per month, and next year the $100 will last us all year so the cost per month is only about $8 per month. Can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Hi, I'm in SK, but saw the post.
    Definitely look into going with pay as you go - we got 7-Eleven Speakout. It's great if you don't use a lot of minutes, because they are good for a whole year.
    They often have promos and deals on phones/minutes as well. Never a problem with service, and it's great too because there's no monthly service charge, just 911 charge.

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

This is a great promo, on just til the end of the month
    http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promot...-off-any-phone

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

koodo has a good plan they have no zones this mean u wont cost u you long distance to call anywhere in Canada
    and i think u pay your phone off as you go !

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

thanks for all the info everyone.

decided to go thru 7-11 speakout. they have a promo right now - $20 off any phone wub $50 air time voucher (good for 365 days). so for a phone (with sim card inc.), 200 min & tax i paid $77.XX. we only need this for emergencies & the odd call so we think its a great deal.

we only have home phone & internet thru MTS (cable not available in my town) so could'nt get the best deal thru them.

thanks again everyone for your help.

Thread Information