User Tag List

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello everybody

This is my first laptop, I've always had desktops and I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance.

I have a really nice HP all in one printer that I used to use with my now dead and gone desktop. I would like to use it with my laptop so I can print off some coupons. Would I need a special cable to do this, and I suppose I have to install the software onto my laptop from the HP Printer. What do I ask for at the store, what is the name of the cable I'd need, anyone know ? And once I put the cd in to install the printer on the laptop, is that all I need to do? And when I'm not using the printer can I disconnect it from the laptop as I use it in a different room.

Thank you, I really appreciate any guidance as I've never done this before. Printing coupons would be so rewarding. I'd do a little dance when the first one is printing
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

The cable you will need looks like this:

99% of new printers do not come with this so you will either already have one, or you will need to buy one.

For the all in 1 printer setup - start by installing the software and plug in the printer to the computer only when it tells you to do that during the install - just follow the on-screen instructions.

Since you are installing a local printer, it's fine if you unplug it & move your laptop. When you want to print, just plug it back in, your computer will detect it since you've already done the install & it'll be ready to use.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Since you said you already used the printer with your desktop, you should definitely have the cable. Unless you through it out with your desktop, that is.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is the make and model of the printer? Hopefully it's a newer model with a USB port.

Dave

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

if you have wifi can you do this without the cable....if so how....thanks so much

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Your printer has to have the option. Just because you have wifi in your house, but doesn't mean the printer can manage that unless it has the feature.
    Also, just because many people have home networks (a router so multiple computers can connect) also does not mean that your printer is network enabled.

When you buy the inexpensive printers, your options are pretty basic; basically you get what you pay for.

I run an HP Officejet here in the house; it's set up to allow all of the computers to print to it when needed. I would highly recommend spending the money.

Last edited by KrazE; Mon, Sep 5th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you so much for your help I am going to look at the printer and the cables to see if I have that. This is fantastic, printer set up for 'dummies' lol I will see if the printer has a usb port for the cable. I used a usb on it for my digital camera so maybe it is the same thing. The printer is a few years old but it is a good one. Thank you so much and if I still can't figure it out, you will hear back from me. When I 'do' figure it out I'll also post that I accomplished it (so I may receive my pats on the back haha)

Then I can go to Canadian tire and get the 1.50 copy paper and print all my coupons... ahhh how rewarding that would be.

Thanks again for your help KrazE Ribeena and David

Thread Information