User Tag List

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Hello!

I've just recently moved to Montreal from Victoria, BC and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any special rules regarding coupons in Quebec. I've heard rumblings about a milk price minimum and I know I have a coupon that specifies that Quebec residents need to use it as an MIR instead. Can anyone shed some light on these and any other rules for me?

Also I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem using an English coupon in Montreal? I have a lot of English only coupons from trading so it would be good to know if there are any stores I should avoid.

Thanks so much! My french is pretty horrible and it would suck to have a cashier yell at me for something and not understand why.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

I'm just saying...
    Join Swagbucks already!

Check out my Etsy store! http://www.alteredcartography.etsy.com

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Welcome to Montreal!

So far that I've noticed, the only special rule I've seen is that there are a lot of offers (coupons, contests, MIRs, etc) that are not valid in Quebec, so make sure you read the terms.

There is a milk price minimum here, though I've never seen coupons for milk that had to be used as MIRs.

The only time I've had trouble using an English coupon, had nothing to do and everything to do with the specific cashier with language (I am fluently bilingual, and she was speaking English to me). Maybe issues with English coupons vary depending on where in Montreal you live? I live in Pierrefonds, and the West Island used to be (and possibly still is) considered very Anglo.

Trading Score
    227 (100%)

I've never had an issue with English coupons at any store I've been to here in Montreal or on the South Shore. If for some reason, the cashier can't read it, they've always called someone over just to get some help, but it wasn't a problem.

The other thing to be aware of is that there are a number of coupons - especially from brandsaver.ca and P&G that are not valid for use at Quebec pharmacies. That's important to know especially if you're an SDM/Pharmaprix shopper and collect optimum points.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

In qc you can't use coupons in pharmacies for drugs like tylenol, etx. On save.ca there is a 1.50$ coupon for children's tylenol, if you select qc as your province, the coupon becomes a mir. The living well coupons are the same. I have not heard of mir's for milk (I wish), maybe you are mistaking the drug mir with the milk?

I have not lived in Montreal for a bit, but it was very much anglo when I lived there.

Welcome to la belle province, I hope you don't get too much of a stacking withdrawal On the bright side, our zellers follow scop as do all of the other retailer, by law
    My Queen passed out from pure bliss thanks to her secret Santa. Bless you kind angel

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Welcome!

I'm in north shore of Montreal and I have no problem with english only coupons.

In Montreal I should be more easier then here!!!

Most frustrating is that you will have difficulty to trade your french only coupons with other SCers in Canada!!! We often have the french only version in store
    Liberty of one finish where liberty of the other one start

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

All these places, I'm so bad with geography here. Where is the North Shore? I'm in the heart of the Plateau and at least where I am it's very francophone. Very few days go by without my looking blankly at someone because I have no idea what they're saying to me. It's quite stressful. Are you all originally from Quebec or did you learn French from living here?

Luckily (or perhaps sadly), I had no idea that London Drugs stacked coupons even when I lived in Victoria (which is a shame since I lived a 2 minute walk from one) so I don't miss that. I'm pretty new to couponing at all actually.

It is a shame that French coupons are harder to trade (I admit to having trouble with reading them myself if they're complicated, but usually you can tell from the pictures). Do you Montrealers tend to trade with each other?

Thanks for the welcome and for answering all my questions. I feel so lost most of the time in Montreal, it's nice to feel welcomed on here.

I'm just saying...
    Join Swagbucks already!

Check out my Etsy store! http://www.alteredcartography.etsy.com

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

Where is north shore?
    Laval is on north shore... but i'm more in north than Laval!

We have a group on SC: Montreal couponing group... and we organise meeting. Thetonester521 will organise the next one this fall.

French is my mother tongue, so sometime you will find my english is weird!!! (I have a lot of difficulty with verb tense and my vocabulary is limited, but I learn every day with SC!!!)

If you have some questions, feel free to ask

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

The Plateau is north-east of downtown. North of the Plateau, you have Saint-Leonard, Montreal-North, and Anjou. If you go further north/northwest, you're in Laval (the general term for the northern suburbs of Montreal is the North Shore because they're on the northern shore of the Riviere de Prairies). The West Island (aka l'Ouest de l'île, aka "The Wastelands") is the western part of the island of Montreal.

I was born in Montreal, but my mother tongue is English. I learnt French from living here.

In terms of trading French coupons, most of my trades have been with other Montrealers, or folks from eastern Ontario, or Manitoba.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I always use coupons for Tylenol and such. I never had a problem.
    If the coupons are in English I just translate it for the clerk.

Trading Score
    160 (100%)

in pharmacy (for drug like tylenol)

the J&J call in coupon is good, but the other one usualy are not good and this is wrote "not valid in QC pharmacy"

Thread Information