User Tag List

Thread: EI Question

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey all,

My contract at work recently ended (sad face). I am currently getting the maximum amount of EI (468/week). As I was job hunting the other day I saw a seasonal posting for a clothing retailer. It is completely unrelated to my line of work, my professional training, and all that jazz. But I've never worked a retail job, I love clothes, and was thinking that something is better than nothing. Being unemployed is a bit boring.

I know I can work part-time while collecting EI. I'm guessing that a seasonal position would likely be full-time hours. Which would kick me off EI. I could apply to EI again once the season position ended correct? Would the seasonal position mess with my earnings and decrease my EI benefit thereafter?
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    103 (100%)

you could technically stay on EI while you are working but make sure you report your earnings on your weekly reports. The seasonal position won't have an effect on your benefit rate ....that rate stays the same till the end of your claim.

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jjbean View Post
    you could technically stay on EI while you are working but make sure you report your earnings on your weekly reports. The seasonal position won't have an effect on your benefit rate ....that rate stays the same till the end of your claim.
    I don't know if that is the best route for them. If you stay on your EI claim and keep it active, they will decrease your weekly benefit by however much you are going over your allowed additional income.

However, if you suspend the claim until you are laid off seasonally, you can re-open it I believe.

I would call EI and ask them directly, they can be sticky about some things.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by seventhwave View Post
    I don't know if that is the best route for them. If you stay on your EI claim and keep it active, they will decrease your weekly benefit by however much you are going over your allowed additional income.

However, if you suspend the claim until you are laid off seasonally, you can re-open it I believe.

I would call EI and ask them directly, they can be sticky about some things.
    It is so confusing! I will call and ask

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by maebemelis View Post
    It is so confusing! I will call and ask
    Yes it is .

I wouldn't advise you to get that seasonal retail job ..it will mess up lot of things especially since you are already getting the maximum EI / week ..if it was a good job & job in your field with a good salary it would be a different thing .

If you are getting bored then there are lot of highly subsidised or FREE education & training programs for EI recepients . You can get some Free training & upgrade your skills/education at the same time .

The following things probably might help you a bit :

How does working while collecting EI affect the duration of a claim?

If you start working before you finish your current EI claim, you must tell us so we can adjust or stop your claim, depending on whether the work is full-time, part-time or by contract. If the work is short-term or contract you may re-activate your EI claim and continue to receive your bi-weekly payments when you are laid off.

The maximum period of time in which you can carry out one claim is 52 weeks. An EI claim will end if:

• all EI to which you are eligible have been paid; or
    • the 52 week duration is reached; or
    • you request and qualify for the termination of your claim.

To start a new claim you must work the minimum number of insurable hours required for regular benefits. The number of minimum hours depends on where you live and the unemployment rate in your economic region at the time of filing your claim.

Can I reactivate an old claim?

If you started a new EI claim within the last 52 weeks and there are still weeks payable on that claim, we will automatically reactivate (renew) your existing claim.

Do not start the application if you prefer to start a new claim. Instead, please contact us by calling 1-800-206-7218. Your decision to start a new claim is final and cannot be reversed.

It is important to consider:

• If your claim is reactivated and you work after the start of that claim, you may be able to establish a new claim when your existing claim runs out.
    • In order to establish a new claim you must have enough insurable hours and meet the qualifying conditions for a new claim.
    • If a new claim is established instead of reactivating your existing claim, the remaining weeks payable on the existing claim will be lost.
    • Additionally, a two-week unpaid waiting period must be served on a new claim before you are entitled to receive paym

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You are right...it would completely mess everything up. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Yes it is .

I wouldn't advise you to get that seasonal retail job ..it will mess up lot of things especially since you are already getting the maximum EI / week ..if it was a good job & job in your field with a good salary it would be a different thing .

If you are getting bored then there are lot of highly subsidised or FREE education & training programs for EI recepients . You can get some Free training & upgrade your skills/education at the same time .

The following things probably might help you a bit :

How does working while collecting EI affect the duration of a claim?

If you start working before you finish your current EI claim, you must tell us so we can adjust or stop your claim, depending on whether the work is full-time, part-time or by contract. If the work is short-term or contract you may re-activate your EI claim and continue to receive your bi-weekly payments when you are laid off.

The maximum period of time in which you can carry out one claim is 52 weeks. An EI claim will end if:

• all EI to which you are eligible have been paid; or
    • the 52 week duration is reached; or
    • you request and qualify for the termination of your claim.

To start a new claim you must work the minimum number of insurable hours required for regular benefits. The number of minimum hours depends on where you live and the unemployment rate in your economic region at the time of filing your claim.

Can I reactivate an old claim?

If you started a new EI claim within the last 52 weeks and there are still weeks payable on that claim, we will automatically reactivate (renew) your existing claim.

Do not start the application if you prefer to start a new claim. Instead, please contact us by calling 1-800-206-7218. Your decision to start a new claim is final and cannot be reversed.

It is important to consider:

• If your claim is reactivated and you work after the start of that claim, you may be able to establish a new claim when your existing claim runs out.
    • In order to establish a new claim you must have enough insurable hours and meet the qualifying conditions for a new claim.
    • If a new claim is established instead of reactivating your existing claim, the remaining weeks payable on the existing claim will be lost.
    • Additionally, a two-week unpaid waiting period must be served on a new claim before you are entitled to receive paym

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'd recommend that you seek whatever EI services via employment centres you can access right now. I know that in Halton region, there are free services if one is on EI and not working or working 20h or less per week. Once you are working over 20h/week, some of the free services become fee services. It won't matter if you are working at min. wage or not, the hours per week determine your access to the services

This would be a good time to see what the "system" of case managers, employment counselors and various organizations can offer you to help you develop a job search plan/goals. Find a centre that offers an assessment by computer of skills and aptitudes, a followup employment counselling session and then a good employment resource centre--with papers, fax and computer access, staff and other clients to talk about job searches. Also, take in a few workshops to work on resumes or hear speakers. Maybe choose dates that align with other errands that make the most of your commute/walk/transit fares.

BTW, retail considers full-time to be 24h or more per week. Seasonal retail *might* get you those hours but it is more likely you'll get 3-4 shifts of 4-5hs per week in high holiday season only (and much less after Boxing Day). Hence seasonal and as operations warrant lines seen in job ads. Another downside to retail--should you ever have to use those hours towards in a future EI claim (assuming you rack up the hundreds of hours needed from various jobs), you won't likely get the max. claim benefits because of the hourly rate and kind of work done.

You may determine within a couple of weeks whether to keep examining what is available for job searchers or you may find something closer to what you really want. So you can have an ideal job search and a more realistic job search going consecutively while you determine your options, resources and needs. To your success in figuring out the optimal balance and reaching your desired goals!
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Nov 5th, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information