User Tag List

Thread: thumb suckers.

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Anybody have any advice for a child that still sucks her thumb?? At first for years i didn't really care and figured she would grow out of it but she is 4 now and i'm beginning to wonder if i should do something about it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I remember sucking my thumb until I was about 5 or 6.. but at the same time, I imagine sucking thumbs may interfere with positive speech and permanent teeth development. Try to praise her when she is not sucking her thumb and limit thumb sucking to when she is at home/bedroom. I know for almost every area of parenting a child that criticism can be detrimental so try to avoid criticizing your daughter over thumb sucking. It most likely will go away..

Wish I had more ideas to help but my son is also four and I've observed him thumb sucking every once in awhile. I try to comfort him as I notice it occurs when he is feeling scared or bored. I personally would talk to your daughter's pediatrician or family physician.. They know your daughter's health and development best!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

DS isn't a thumb-sucker, but he sucks on 2 of his fingers, and has since he was born... he does it mainly when he;s tired...he has developed some warts on them, though, so a trip to the dr is in order soon...

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I sucked my thumb until I was 11 (but only at night, not in public etc). My Mom tried everything and the thing that worked the best was that nail polish you get to make your kids to stop biting their nails. It was really bitter and stopped that habit really quickly but honestly I don't know about the chemicals in that... mind you this was 15 - 20 years ago. I really lucked out that my teeth are perfectly straight and my speech is normal but my one thumb is slightly bigger than the other.
    Last edited by alicia; Wed, Dec 28th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I sucked my fingers at night until I was at least eight... can't remember when or how I stopped? Unless she does it continually (including during the day), I don't know if I would be overly concerned... I think most kids outgrow it once they become old enough to be self-concious about it.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by emmy3111 View Post
    I sucked my fingers at night until I was at least eight... can't remember when or how I stopped? Unless she does it continually (including during the day), I don't know if I would be overly concerned... I think most kids outgrow it once they become old enough to be self-concious about it.
    Great post

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

my 3 yr old does it when she's tired.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gracesmommy View Post
    my 3 yr old does it when she's tired.
    My DD also. I can tell right away when she's getting tired because she puts her thumb in her mouth. It's the only time she sucks her thumb.

I tend to agree with other posters - as long as it's only at night or certain times, than I wouldn't be overly concerned. Emmy had a great point about kids growing out of it.

If your really concerned though, I'd speak to your doctor. They should be able to give you better info since they'll know more about your little one and their situation.
    Last edited by bargain_hunter_lola; Wed, Dec 28th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

Thanks. 11 is pretty old to suck your thumb,surprised it went on that long. Someone in my family said one of my cousins did it until she was like 7 but not many other people in my family were like that.

Well yeah actually,it's not always her thumb,probably other fingers most of the time now that i think about it. Think it might be more of a nervous habit (shyness is sorta a inherited trait in my family,lol),not a night thing. I notice she does it when i bring her to her little library storytime group and that's why i think it is more of a nervous habit then anything.But she will do it when she is watching t.v. and stuff sometimes to,so i guess it could be half and half.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I think the main concern doctors have is just that it will push their teeth out of alignment. I was a finger sucker and my sister sucked her thumb, and both did some damage to our teeth. I think they eventually put a retainer in for my sister that actually had little prongs on it to keep her from continuing so she wouldn't end up with braces. .

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

there should be some bitter cream or nail polish as alicia has mentioned that you can buy to discourage the thumb sucking. if the habit persists, an open bite can develop and may require orthognathic surgery as treatment
    Enjoy chatting on forums or blogs? Get paid $0.05+ per post at Postloop!

Thread Information