User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    My mom didn't cook lol.
    So what food did you never try until an adult?
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    So what food did you never try until an adult?

Shark fin soup, bahahahahahahaha

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Ok seriously not much because I learned to cook the family meals at about 11 or 12 otherwise we would have been eating sandwiches and soup for he rest of our lives. In high school I let a friend use my kitchen as an experimental place because they were in cooking school so I pretty much got free cooking school for 2 years . Learned a lot.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My mom made everything, but since she worked afternoons and my dad days she taught me how to cook from the time of 10 on, I made suppers.

She made one heck of a seafood pasta from scratch.
    Last edited by Sally888; Mon, Jan 16th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I grew up on a farm where we raised pigs, cows and a few chickens, and had a HUGE garden that we canned/froze fruits and vegetables from. Pretty much had meat, potatoes and a vegetable for supper every single night.
    Never really had a wide variety of meals regularly until I grew up... now it's rare to have the "traditional" meal of meat, potatoes and a vegetable more than a couple of times in a month.
    As far as not ever, until I was grown - anything "exotic". I don't remember having Chinese, Mexican, Thai, Indian... now some of my favourite foods are enchiladas and sushi (although, not so much the raw variety).

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I remember the first time I tried hamburger helper at a friends house when I stayed for dinner, I thought it was the most amazing thing ever hahaha. They thought I was crazy.

I went home I requested for my mom to please make me some again but she refused and has never made it to this day.

When I discovered KD is a whole other story LOL

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Mum was a single parent and she mostly shoved prepared food into the stove. She'd do a roast on Sundays or something simple like cottage pie or toad in the hole and that was about it.

I never had pizza until I was 17, Chinese when I was 18 and curry until I was 22.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

We mostly had things made with ground beef (spaghetti, tacos, shep pie), sausages and beans, and shake and bake chicken. Mashed potatoes, spaghetti, and minute rice were the usual suspects. Frozen vegetables and the salad with purple cabbage and carrots were it for veggies. We very rarely ate out. Once a month mom would take us to a&w for a kids pack. A lot of foods I eat all the time I never ever had until I moved out.. sushi, subway sandwiches, spinach, avocado, perogies, pepperoni pizza, steak, anything ethnic really like curries, hummous, souvalaki.
    Last edited by BuggaBugga; Mon, Jan 16th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Mom would peel almost 10 pounds of potato's every night ,to feed 8 and 9 people. So dinner was at 6 p.m. and there was lots of mince steak,canned peas,carrots and mashed potato's. Comfort food for me these days.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

We always had meat, potatoes, veggies and salad. All baking was scratch, and her gravy was to die for lol. Homemade bread, buns. Dad liked liver and onions the odd time, just the smell of it cooking I would get sick, so she made me hotdogs that night.
    We had a lot of roasted chicken and roasts, yummmm
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Oh and she used to cann a lot, we had a huge garden, got tired of shelling peas and snipping beans lol Tons of pickled carrots as welll, drooool.
    LF: $ 4.00 off any covergirl, 2.00 axe,RLF ARMSTRONG cheese, black diamond, 3.00 gain. 2.00 Majesta. Have 5.00 walmart gc.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Funny how the things you had so often growing up, now become a treat... when we went to Disney World, all four of us agreed that one night was the BEST meal of the whole trip. The meal was roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans and buns. After all the convenience/fast food it felt like home...

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

My family is Italian, but my parents were self-employed and worked long hours so mom made mostly everything from scratch but there were some processed/prepared things (Kraft Dinner, Lipton soup w/ grilled cheese) she fell back on for the odd night she just couldn't manage an hour to cook dinner. She always made potato dishes from scratch and I never knew potatoes came in a box till I did my own grocery shopping as an adult...still haven't had the courage to try it ^^;

We ate a lot of pasta, and it amazed me when I met DH that his family rarely eats it at all ^^; We also ate more chicken than pork or beef, and to this day the only beef I really eat is steak and won't touch a pork roast unless I don't have a choice. My grandparents made their own prosciutto and bacon, so every winter we had tons of that (mmmmmmmmm).

Until adulthood, I had never eaten yorkshire pudding (and other things too, but that was the one thing that amazed DH). To this day, I have never eaten Chef Boyardee, Alphagetti, Hamburger Helper, and Shepherd's Pie.

Trading Score
    21 (88%)

Quote Originally Posted by DH666 View Post
    My mom made almost everything from scratch. We would occasionally have Kraft Dinner as a treat or Campbell's soup. She also baked goodies. I remember making pulled taffy (or as we called it in French, "la tire", which literally means pull). To this day I still have a really sweet tooth, although I can only have a little bit of candy as I am now diabetic.

Since we all ate what dad liked, I did not have much diversity in my diet. It was more of a French Canadian meat and potato diet. To this day I hate boiled potatoes and will only eat mashed if there are raw onions in it and lots of gravy.

I started experimenting with different ethnic foods once I moved out of my small town to Toronto and then Montreal and I love most of them. I never had tzatziki until I met Patty and I love that stuff. I like most foods with a few exceptions: Cucumber and melons are some, and I don't like curry because of the texture, not the flavour.

There are cucumbers in Tzatziki!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasminenicole View Post
    There are cucumbers in Tzatziki!

Yes but the garlic kills the taste lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information