User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Keurig questions

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I have been seriously considering buying one, but I have a few questions.

I know that a number of you have them, and I also know that you will give honest opinions rather than what I may find in a google search so... here goes.

What model do you have?
    What do you like about it?
    What do you dislike about it?
    If you had a choice, now that you have used the one you purchased, would you have purchased a different model/brand?

And most importantly.....

What K-cup is the MOST like a Tim Horton's coffee? lol

I am not a vanilla or coffee flavouring fan at all, I like my regular plain old creamer.

Also, can your Keurig model also make tea & not just coffee? If so, are there comparable orange pekoe K-cups (such as Salada or Red Rose)?

Thank you in advance to everyone that responds!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have the KUB60. It has a reservoir that can make about three cups before you have to refill it with water, and can make three cup sizes.

We're very happy with it. DH and I only have one cup a day each, so this meets our needs. We only use the large cup size though, so those other two are kind of wasted on us.

If the coffee that came out of it tasted like Tim Hortons, I would have brought it back. So I won't bother you with my coffee recommendations, obviously my taste in coffee is not the same as yours! I put skim milk and a small amount of sugar in my cup. I also don't do flavoured coffee, although my DH does, so this works well for us. It's also handy to make hot chocolate for DS - I don't find that the hot chocolate k cups are much good, but it pumps out hot water quickly to make instant (we add milk to it too).

I'm most bothered by the plastic K cups that go into the trash every day. But I've tried the my kcup thing, wasn't happy with it - it was a PITA to clean, and it dripped. If they came up with a disposable filter that I could put in it, that I could live with (maybe they have! I don't know!).

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Thanks Zonny!

I'm an admitted TH addict, and if I really stop to consider the cost, I would certainly save money buying a Keurig. One of my concerns of course would be finding a coffee that would work for me; I want to avoid having to waste money on trying a number of different kinds to find one that I really like, so I'm hoping to get input on the type/name/brands.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

There's often variety packs of k cups, I didn't know exactly what I wanted in the beginning either! I bought mine at Futureshop, it came with some coffee to try. Costco's deal comes with more I think, and they have a far more forgiving return policy. Also, I've seen individual K cups at Canadian Tire.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

my parents got a cuisinart one that is made by keurig and uses the k-cups. I think it is better then the keurig: it comes with myk-cup, plus it has a rinse cycle that cleans it out that you can use before you make tea or hot chocolate in it so you don't get coffee residue. It also has a button that you can use to dispense just hot water if you want to make soup or something. It has i think 4 or 5 different cup sizes and holds a lot of water.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Thank you Hollywood, but at nearly 200+, that's just not option number 1 for me.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

What model do you have?
    I have the Mr Coffee Keurig.

What do you like about it?
    I had 2 Mini Keurig and they both leak after a few months.
    This is the one from Walmart. Price match online flyer at Future Shop to get 10% off difference.

What do you dislike about it?
    I don't. I love it because of the price.

If you had a choice, now that you have used the one you purchased, would you have purchased a different model/brand?
    No.

I have a My K-Cup and use my own grounds. If you already have Tim Horton's grounds at home, you could make your own TH coffee in your Keurig. You could use the machine to make hot water for tea, hot chocolate, and cup-a-soup.

Mr Coffee Keurig makes 8oz. You might not want a bigger size because the My K-Cup and K-Cup are a set size so if you get a bigger size cup, it means more water and a weaker cup of coffee.
    Last edited by couponmummy; Sun, Jan 22nd, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the special edition Keurig, it makes 3 different cup sizes and I have to say I love my Keurig!! I would like one with a larger reservoir but that's just me being lazy I can't help you on the Timmies, I bought my Keurig because I wanted to make flavored coffee, and the Keurig has a lot of different flavors. When you buy your Keurig if you go online to their website you can register it and you will be sent 2 free boxes of coffee's if you buy to boxes, so that would give you a chance to try a few different ones out. Also, there are a lot of different variety packs so you don't get stuck with 24 of one kind.

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

I have the new Mini Keurig but I also have a TH's coffee maker. I am not a fan of flavored coffee either(hubby is though!)

The Pros:

*I like a fresh cup coffee. I hate when coffee has been sitting even for a bit so this works for me.

*I like how hot the coffee is too!

*I like that I can try different coffees!!

Con:

The price of k kups. Ouch. Even with coupons, it really is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for coffee.

My favorite kinds of k kups are:

*****keep in mind, we are die hard TH's fans too...***

Timothy's Breakfast Blends(tastes the most like Tim's to me)
    Donut House Bold
    Emeril Bold
    Wolfgang Bold
    Folger's Black Silk

Yes, you can get all kinds of teas!! I like the English Breakfast kind myself!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

What is the overall cost of the K-cups compared to visiting TH daily?

Yes, I'm serious - sometimes it might be twice depending on what is going on that day; but lets just say once...

M-F - 1 x $1.60, S & S - 2 x $1.60 (SO likes to have one when we head out shopping) so that equals $14.40 per week at the minimum.

$14.40 x 50 weeks (there will be holidays & such that I don't go, so I'll push it & remove 2 weeks) equals $720 / 12 = $60 per month - again, minimum.

Does it cost that much for K-cups in a month if you have a coffee or 2 a day?

Just trying to get a comparison lol

Trading Score
    471 (100%)

How much coffee do you drink at home a day on top of the TH's?

I drink nothing but coffee and water. That's it. I probably drinking 12 cups of coffee a day. My used to go to TH's twice a day for coffee breaks at work. I used to go once a day. I lucked out and hit a sale on Folger's K kups awhile back, plus, I have the advantage of Double Coupon Day, so I paid 2.99 for a box of 12. .25 a piece. 3.00 a day. Ouch.

Do like we did, buy the Keurig, and then buy the reusable k kup and put TH's coffee in it!!

Just Jez
    Trading Score
    586 (100%)

you can also buy disposable filters and fill em with your own coffee I find the my
    k-kup filter a PITA!!

You can buy 5 packs from keurig.com so you could try diff k-kups I want to try the starbucks ones !!

I love my keurig ! I like how quick it makes coffee /and that it is actually hot !

what I don't like is always having to make sure I have bottled water as not sure about other brands but for the keurig it does say to use filtered water...

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

We got ours at Christmas and love it. My hubby has a re-useable filter and uses Tim Horton's coffee in it ~ that's how he gets his to taste like TH's
    (he says the filter is great, just takes 30 seconds to clean it out!)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What model do you have? B40

What do you like about it? Quiet.

What do you dislike about it? Cord could be longer.

If you had a choice, now that you have used the one you purchased, would you have purchased a different model/brand? No. I thought about buying the B60, although I had no need for a LCD screen or another cup size. I bought the B40 (price matched against Amazon.ca) at Futureshop for $91 (incl. taxes) + 2x full free boxes of coffee

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I have the special edition...i love it....no complaints at all.....i like breakfast blend and morning blend for a plain coffee, also columbia excelencia is nice.....actually the timothys brand is my favorite over all....but i do buy the green mountain hot cocoa for the kids....hubby thinks the tea kcups are a waste of money....too weak and you can just set a tea bag in the reservoir.....also with the machine itself you can adjust the temperature and set a timer to go on and off for your convienience...good luck choosing
    ....just be happy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information