User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    167 (100%)

I did score some great deals at once upon a child today but i was wondering where can i find comparable or even lower deals? We are struggling this time around and I have heard that value village was overpriced so I'd really appreciate some advice! My little boy is 4 months and growing like a weed so I really don't want to spend a fortune on things he might wear a handful of times.
    I am not looking for brand names, just decent quality.
    This thread is currently associated with: Once Upon a Child, Value Village

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Check out your local kidswaps. I always score great deals there, both brand name and good quality.
    gone shopping!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Salvation Army, Consignment Stores or Kijiji. Garage Sales when they are in season.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Kijiji is great look for older adds and make an offer , Walmart often has stuff on clearance. Watch out for the consignment stores, I find that Once upon a child prices can be higher or very close to buying the item brand new.
    I have looked around in this store http://www.babyjinc.ca/ and found the prices I looked at to be quite good, but I have done much shopping there. The staff is wonderful.
    Carters has really resonable prices, and good sales, but you can get stuff cheaper second hand if you look around.

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for the great suggestions. I will look into them all and hopefully find great treasures for my little man. Thank you!

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

Value Village is a rip-off unless they are having a 50% off sale. They are also for profit so you have to pay taxes on your purchases. I stick to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Much cheaper and no taxes. I can check with my neighbour. I had asked her to through some of her stuff. If she still has it I will let you know.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I might have some stuff for you, my boy is 13 months old now, and I am looking to get rid of some of his old stuff, free of course I will pm you later when I see what I still have left, I have been giving them away, but I still should have lots.

How big is your boy, what size does he wear?

Trading Score
    44 (100%)

I find Once Upon a Child and Value Village expensive for the used clothes. I saw a shirt there once selling for $3 and I had bought the same one brand new on clearance for $2!
    I borrow/trade with friends and family when possible. My favorite is garage sales. Last summer I got my daughter 3 boxes of clothes, a snowsuit, two jackets, and two dresses at one sale for $65 (a whole wardrobe!) and my son 4 safeway bags full of brand name jeans/hoodies, etc. (plus some clothes for me) at another for $8 ($2 per bag)! Baby sales can be great for hunting down specific things (eg. dress shoes, snowsuits, costumes) but you need to know your prices...once I saw someone selling sleepers for $8 each and they sold the same brand at Costco for the same price! I know lots of people who buy/sell on kijiji and if you find a box of stuff it's often a great bargain.
    If I am shopping new I love the Children's Place and Osh Kosh/Carter's outlet stores on the South Side for good quality, reasonably priced clothes that fit well. They often have great sales...for as low as $1.99. I've also been able to find things on clearance at Wal-Mart for $1. Costco always has great deals on good quality Pekkle onesies (currently $9.99 for 5), sleepers ($8 each), and Carters outfits ($9.97). I got my daughter's Christmas dress there for $17.97.

Krystal
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Put an ad on Kijiji that your looking for items...lots of people want to unload their baby stuff, without the hassle of selling it item by item. I know every season I pack up my daughters too small clothes and pass them on....I'm only having the one kid and I dont have room to store anything!

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemybabies View Post
    I might have some stuff for you, my boy is 13 months old now, and I am looking to get rid of some of his old stuff, free of course I will pm you later when I see what I still have left, I have been giving them away, but I still should have lots.

How big is your boy, what size does he wear?
    He is 4 months, 14 lbs and wears 6 mo

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

Value Village has become very over priced for childrens clothes actually i walked off the job years ago because i refused to over price the childrens wear when i worked in the back pricing the childrens clothes. best time to go to VV is on the 50% off sale days and they have them twice a year. but other great places for childrens wear for a good price i find is winners in the clearance section. i pay little amounts and get great new clothes even brand name sometimes... but watch the church sections in the local paper as they always have local swaps for items... = good Luck

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I have a 16 month old, I will check what I have as well and leave a box on the doorstep for ya.

On Kijiji alot of people will sell a whole box or just give it away even.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Some times you can score good deals on Ebay as well.. try checking that site. If not there is a consignment store for babies on 127th ave and 98th street,its a small store sometimes you can get stuff for cheap as well. Here is a site to look through..

http://www.babyontheway.ca/calgary/c...list.php?cat=1

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been quite happy lately with baby clothes I found in local thrift shops and Salvation Army stores, as they are not overpriced. Once Upon a Child stores tend to be more expensive, also I still have a bit of negative feeling about them as I tried to sell them some brand name baby clothes and they offered to pay a very minimum for them (was not worth my time organizing them, taking them to the store etc).

mhk
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    69 (100%)

I hope you get lots of stuff for your cutie! My kids are both over 20 so no luck with clothes with me. There are two shops I see on Stony plain road and about 150 Street. BFM (bibles for missions) and the Mennonite Thrift Store - they have good prices on clothes. Also a store on 163 St and 95 Ave - Discount Thrift Store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information