User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Even if you can't make ends meet with your existing salary; you can't take a part-time job (what a ridiculous law)

Times are tough and maybe you are considering taking on a second job to make ends meet. But depending on the terms of your employment, accepting a second position may mean your primary employer can fire you without notice or compensation.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sco...050019623.html
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Interesting read!
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

it seems that Ms Patterson was aware that there could be a problem well before her employment was terminated.

Furthermore, he noted that Patterson was aware of the rules on conflicts before she studied to become a realtor and the bank applied the policy consistently in the cases of several other employees considering part-time jobs as realtors. The Guidelines were part of the employment contract and having regard to its business interests, the bank had the right to determine what outside activity it would permit
    So I don't have a lot of sympathy for her.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I actually agree with Scotia here ..since she was handing real estate business cards on company time to prospective clients .

Its also a conflict of interest since most people will assume that Scotia is also somehow tied or affiliated to her real estate busines since they are in the mortgage lending business.

Now if she was doing this on her own time & nowhere near the Scotia premises & wasn't either directly or indirectly implying that Scotia is affiliated to her real estate business then maybe its a different thing.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I agree with the others. She was aware and signed a contract stating she could not do that and she did it anyway. She screwed herself over, basically.

It's just like those companies that hire you and state you are not allowed to work for a competition company at the same time or even after employment. Hell, my sister works for a pharmaceutical company and has a similar contract.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

interesting read
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

She knew the rules. I don't see a problem here.
    "The years teach us much, which the days never knew."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I work in the Insurance industry and many companies (brokerages) have a similliar code of conduct that you have to adher to.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tresmom View Post
    I work in the Insurance industry and many companies (brokerages) have a similliar code of conduct that you have to adher to.
    Me as well. I have to sign a document every year disclosing any outside business activities and if they are perceived as a conflict of interest, I could lose my licence.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    it seems that Ms Patterson was aware that there could be a problem well before her employment was terminated.

So I don't have a lot of sympathy for her.
    Agree.
    It's like if I took a job at a Burger King restaurant and at the same time worked part time food testing lab at McDonalds.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Clearly. a blatant conflict of interest and in direct contravention of the agreement she signs each year. The bank is protecting their interests and the interests of their customers and shareholders.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

there are many employers that don't condone moonlighting, it's nothing new really.

it is a person's responsibility to fully understand their job duties, their employer's rules of conduct, and even any unspoken rules of conduct when it comes to their profession.

sometimes your own actions come back to bite you in the tush

i'm sure she wasn't foolish. anyone who works at a bank would see all sorts of 'potential' of having ties to another industry that relies very much on financing large amounts of money. her mind was working full steam ahead, just not in the right direction perhaps
    Last edited by anisa; Thu, Feb 9th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

It sounds like a really sad story at first but that goes for any company you work for. She jeopardized her position at Scotia by conducting herself in a manner that was against the terms of her employment. A lesson learned..

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Everyone is speaking the same language "its her fault"
    Absolutely True, I agree with everyone............

But the main issue here is "Even if you can't make ends meet with your existing salary; you can't take a part-time job (what a ridiculous law)"
    I would have mentioned what a ridiculous contract here which is forcing a person to live in poverty (or rather not living a comfortable lifestyle).
    In this case I am assuming the institution wasn't providing enough salary to cover her living expenses. Maybe they should provide enough salary, so a person need not do such things; or have some kind of guidelines for other business activity, to allow an individual to earn money based on their potential..

I believe, there should have been more clarity in the guidelines for employees who wish to promote their part-time business..
    Last edited by ashedfc; Fri, Feb 10th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

You're taking the "law" of no second part-time too literally and too strictly.

The article is about employers imposing a restriction through a contract for specific jobs. That's why it states at the end that if a fast-food place imposed such restriction (assuming for normal jobs; i.e. no recipe stealing) then it is deemed excessive.

It is NOT forcing someone to live in poverty. Not all jobs have exclusivity clauses in their contracts. If you want a second job and your first job has such a clause, then guess what? Don't keep the first job. Or find employment where no such clause exists.

Also, she went for her real estate liscense. Which implies she doesn't want to work at a bank for the rest of her life. She wants to be an agent.
    Last edited by slayer_glade; Fri, Feb 10th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information