User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Easy White Bread recipes!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Here's a very good and easy bread recipes that was given to me by a friend! This is the recipes I have now been using for a few years now to make my weekly loaves of bread!

Ingredients

• 3 cups warm water
    • 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
    • 3 teaspoons salt
    • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 8 cups bread flour

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine warm water 100 degrees F, yeast, sugar, and let sit till yeast is foamy.

2. Now mix in the, salt, oil, and 4 cups flour. Mix thoroughly, and gradually add the other 4 cups flour, kneading until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, and turn several times to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled.

3. Punch down the dough, let it rest a few minutes. Divide dough into three equal parts. Shape into loaves, and place in three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch greased bread pans. Let rise until almost doubled.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes. The loaves may need to be covered for the last few minutes with foil to prevent excess browning.

I hope you enjoy!

Cheers!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Tabby40 and C.RoyCanada like this.
    $450 in amazon.ca gift certificate and counting Thanks! to Swagbucks! click the link below to join!
    Join Swagucks and get cool Prizes!
    My BBQ Blog http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

I tried this recipe shortly after reading it here and have been using it ever since.
    Very easy to do, Thanks so much
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

i will definately be trying this recipe. My recipe makes about 8 loaves which is alot to make at a time. It will be nice to be able to only make 3 loaves at a time.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I make about 10 loaves of bread a week, and share with my family. I've been making my own bread for over 35 years now. I love my old recipe passed on from my mom. I love to try new recipes and I may give this one a try but it's hard to go to a new recipe when my family has been enjoying my bread for so many years. It sure looks simple though.
    Tabby40 and jasperandchar like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

This looks very easy to do thank you! Would love it Holly if you would share your bread recipe as well. Please and thank you.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Sure, here's my recipe for white bread. I've been making it for years, my family loves it so I don't change it much. It makes 2 loaves, and I usually do a double batch at a time, any more than that and you have to start playing around with the yeast and I find it just gets to much to manage at once.

I hope you try it and let me know what you think.

Ingredients

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) 2/3 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    6 cups bread flour

These are the directions, it's really quite simple and not a whole lot can go wrong unless your yeast is stale.

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.

1. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
    2. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
    3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.
    Retiree likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Try my pretzel bun recipe and let me know what you think too. I have played around with the recipe for a few years to get it the way I like it, it's not the typical pretzel bun that is hard. This one is soft, and when you toast it up and serve a hamburg or some pulled pork on it, I promise, you woon't buy store bought buns again, if you can help it.

Here are the ingredients:

Dough

• 1 1/3 cups warm water
    • 2 tablespoons warm milk
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
    • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 4 cups all purpose flour
    • kisher salt or pretzel salt

Parboiling Liquid

• 2 quarts cold water

(1/2 cup) baking soda

Here are the Directions for mixing, parboiling and baking. Be careful when you add the baking soda to the water, as it boils up so you want to use your dutch oven or large pot. Also, after you've boiled a few of the buns, watch the water as it will have a tendancy to boil over it it is boiling to quickly.

Directions:

1. 1
      In a small bowl if using a bread machine, or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water (105-115 degrees) with the yeast and let stand until foamy.
    2. 2
      Add the remaining cup of warm water along with milk, sugar & melted butter and swirl to dissolve the sugar. (If using a bread machine add mixture to bread machine at this point and continue).
    3. 3
      Add flour and mix on dough cycle or med-low speed.
    4. 4
      Remove dough from bread machine once it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball.
    5. 5
      Add more flour if necessary.
    6. 6
      Turn dough out onto a lightly floured table and knead for 2 minutes.
    7. 7
      Roll into a 2 foot long log and cut into 12 even pieces.
    8. 8
      Cover dough with plastic and a damp cloth and let sit for 10 minutes.
    9. 9
      Pat dough into rolls or form knots and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap.
    10. 10
      Let the pretzels rest for an additional 30 minutes.
    11. 11
      Preheat the oven to 425°.
    12. 12
      Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
    13. 13
      In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a rolling boil and add baking soda.
    14. 14
      Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for no more then 30 seconds, turning once.
    15. 15
      Carefully remove with tongs or slotted spoon and hold above pot and let drain.
    16. 16
      Sprinkle lightly with salt.
    17. 17
      Repeat with the remaining rolls.
    18. 18
      Arrange rolls on the oiled baking sheets and bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until browned all over; shift pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through, for even baking.
    19. 19
      Let rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
    20. 20
      Serve warm or at room temperature.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Oh my jeez you guys are so dedicated!!!

I just throw all my ingredients into my bread machine (got for free on kijiji, machine is about 17 years old now, still going strong!) and then wait three hours. I love using it too to make the dough for cinnamon rolls.

Would be interested though as to how people keep their home made bread. I find it goes moldy so quickly! I cut up the slices then put it in a giant ziploc. Then within 48 hours I would say it needs to be tossed if not eaten within that time. Its such a waste since its only DH and I.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

thanks Holly I can't wait to make your bread!!!!!

I have a bread machine but my family doesn't care much for the bread.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Oh my jeez you guys are so dedicated!!!

I just throw all my ingredients into my bread machine (got for free on kijiji, machine is about 17 years old now, still going strong!) and then wait three hours. I love using it too to make the dough for cinnamon rolls.

Would be interested though as to how people keep their home made bread. I find it goes moldy so quickly! I cut up the slices then put it in a giant ziploc. Then within 48 hours I would say it needs to be tossed if not eaten within that time. Its such a waste since its only DH and I.

My bread seems to last least 4 days, but usually it's eaten long before then. If, for some strange reason there is any left by day 4, I will make dh french toast for breakie to use up the balance. To store it, I wrap it in saran wrap, then in tinfoil and pop it in my breadbox. I freeze any extra loaves, but usually by the time my kids come over and pick up for their families, I only have 2 loaves left for dh anyway

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby40 View Post
    thanks Holly I can't wait to make your bread!!!!!

I have a bread machine but my family doesn't care much for the bread.

Your welcome. Let me know what you think. I've been using this recipe for years, the family likes it so I don't change it. I will add cheese, or a few herbs, or cinnamon and raisins, but the basic recipe always stays the same.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My husband is picking up some wheat gluton for me today so I am going to make some bread tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes, thanks again.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby40 View Post
    My husband is picking up some wheat gluton for me today so I am going to make some bread tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes, thanks again.
    Mmmmm, I can smell it already

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Am going to try making bread more often in the winter as we eat it more with soups and the like. (am also going to get a stock pot to make my own soups!) I'm thinking maybe to make a loaf, cut it all up and then freeze half. Not sure if it would freeze/thaw well but something to see.

As for right now its too hot to breathe to do any kind of baking
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Well I made bread on Sunday and one loaf was gone before it even had a chance to cool down. It turned out great Holly. It was simple to make and I didn't need any help to make it. Thank you again!!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information