User Tag List

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Last Recession was a he-cessesion – but with public sector jobs on the line, watch out for a she-cession.

In the last recession, in 2008 and 2009, it was men who disproportionately lost their jobs as the private sector downsized.
    Now, with both the federal and Ontario governments looking to reign in their spending, there’s talk of a looming “she-cession” women loosing jobs, as services like education and health care, and administrative support jobs come under fire.

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-a-she-cession
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by ashedfc; Mon, Feb 27th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just when you start thinking government jobs are safe. This royally sucks for them and for the economy.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Glad I'm a woman in a traditionally male-dominated field right now...

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Wow... I'm glad I'm working towards being self-employed! I am an admin for the government, but I'm not permanent. My contract ends in September 2012 and I'm hoping to be out of debt by then, then we'll be ok on single salary. Tight, but ok.
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ashedfc View Post
    Last Recession was a he-cessesion – but with public sector jobs on the line, watch out for a she-cession.

In the last recession, in 2008 and 2009, it was men who disproportionately lost their jobs as the private sector downsized.
    Now, with both the federal and Ontario governments looking to reign in their spending, there’s talk of a looming “she-cession” women loosing jobs, as services like education and health care, and administrative support jobs come under fire.

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-a-she-cession
    Yup.
    Scarborough General hospital was in the news a few weeks ago. Trying to save money they closed a section. So nurses and admin staff were out on the street. Majority of nurses are women.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The federal government is shutting down its seasonal student job centres, saving $6.5 million annually, and instead is bolstering online job resources for youth.
    (another example of she-session in process)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/student-job...172258488.html

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Big cuts in education coming in Ontario. It is all hush-hush right now but there are major cuts coming. Some will lose their jobs, some will have pay cuts or wages frozen. All in all, big changes.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by chillys-willy View Post
    Big cuts in education coming in Ontario. It is all hush-hush right now but there are major cuts coming. Some will lose their jobs, some will have pay cuts or wages frozen. All in all, big changes.
    Yes, wait till the budget comes out... we are all waiting for that day.
    Some cuts are justified. Its better to cut now; or else Ontario will be forced to cut in the future (& live in poverty like the Greeks are going through right now).

Jobs cuts was bound to happen, as there are several people doing the same job or there's over-crowding of staff. And, Wage freeze kind of seems justified, specially when wages are too high to begin with.
    I am rather in favor of wage freeze along-with simultaneous freeze on inflation. So price of goods & services doesn't goes up... making life a lot easier for all of us..

Thread Information