User Tag List

Page 2234 of 3022 FirstFirst ... 1234 1734 2134 2184 2224 2232 2233 2234 2235 2236 2244 2284 2334 2734 ... LastLast
Results 33,496 to 33,510 of 45330
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Club Q Q107-Loyalty Club (Southern ON Only)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

American Woman
    The song's origins took the form of a live jam in Kitchener, Ontario.[1] The group was rushing into the second set and began improvising a rhythm to liven up the crowd. Burton Cummings, the lead singer, began improvising lyrics to fit the music.[1]
    The song's lyrics have been the matter of some debate, often interpreted as an attack on U.S. politics (especially the draft). Jim Kale, the group's bassist and the song's co-author, explained his take on the lyrics:......

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

UK Winning Word (Sat. 4:00pm - 6:00pm)

- august

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The 4 - 6 ww is AUGUST

Q-NEWS - I e-mailed Jason Ward this afternoon and asked him when the trip to the UK with Derriinger and crew would be, and he said that he understood that the winners of the contest would be flying out next weekend!!! It's short notice but Hey - I can have my bags packed in an hour! I hope I am the winner!.... but if not, I hope its someone from this group! Good luck to all!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Q-NEWS - I e-mailed Jason Ward this afternoon to ask when the winners and the Derringer crew were heading out to London. He said that he understood that that the winners were flying out sometime next weekend! Short notice, but hey, I can have my bags packed in an hour! I sure hope I win, but if I don't, I hope that someone from this forum wins!! Good Luck to ALL!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Randy Bachman explained the origins of this song in an interview with Words & Music magazine, Spring 2005. Said Bachman: "We were playing in a curling rink in Kitchener, Ontario (Canada), and I broke a string. I was up there alone, tuning up my E an B strings on an old Les Paul. I started playing that riff and in the audience, heads started turning. The band got up, and I said, 'Keep playing this, I don't want to forget it.' When Burton had run out of solos, I yelled out, 'Sing something!' So out of the blue Burton just screamed, 'American Woman, stay away from me!' That was the song, the riff and Burton yelling that line over and over. Later, he added other lines like 'I don't need your war machine, you ghetto scenes.' Before America knew it, it was a #1 record and it was a protest song."

Wasn't the broom and Stone initially a curling rink. Maybe with all the gigs (and drugs) they did, one of them is confused on the location.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by 6ffightr9 View Post
    American Woman
    The song's origins took the form of a live jam in Kitchener, Ontario.[1] The group was rushing into the second set and began improvising a rhythm to liven up the crowd. Burton Cummings, the lead singer, began improvising lyrics to fit the music.[1]
    The song's lyrics have been the matter of some debate, often interpreted as an attack on U.S. politics (especially the draft). Jim Kale, the group's bassist and the song's co-author, explained his take on the lyrics:......
    Only repeating what I heard on the radio 4 - 5 years ago in an interview with Burton to the best of my recolection. Flyguy, said he's heard the same story a few times. Who knows if the band can remember and tell the same story twice? We're talking about the 60's and a lot of drugs around the band circuit. Either way they had fun and became a rock legend both sides of the border.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin24 View Post
    Only repeating what I heard on the radio 4 - 5 years ago in an interview with Burton to the best of my recolection. Flyguy, said he's heard the same story a few times. Who knows if the band can remember and tell the same story twice? We're talking about the 60's and a lot of drugs around the band circuit. Either way they had fun and became a rock legend both sides of the border.
    Yes, the Broom & Stone was a curling rink. Remember, I'm quoting Burton's version of the story not Randy.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi there everyone. Back at work and back online. Just been reading back on what I've missed. Can't contribute to the Scarberia history since I grew up in Ireland.
    (Fiddle Dee Dee, Patata's)
    But I work in Scarberia now, actually at Cedarbrae C.I. HA! Too funny.
    Thanks for the words! Welcome to those newer than me! And I'm off to rep some. If I'm out of rep jail yet, that is!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Burton Cummings used to drop by unannouced at any one of the many pubs at York University with his guitar. He would start playing and everyone would enjoy the free concert buying him drinks. He always seemed high. He did the same thing a number of times at the Knobby when his buddies MacClean and MacClean (can't recall the correct spelling, brain fart) had a show there.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

American Woman
    Until you mentioned it I couldn't recall the venue, but now I do remember that he said they were playing at the Broom & Stone curling rink in KW when American Woman was born. That place is now a Home Hardware store.
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
    Never beam down in a red shirt!
    The reason the Captain gets the girl IS because he's the Captain.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by driver_91 View Post
    Hi there everyone. Back at work and back online. Just been reading back on what I've missed. Can't contribute to the Scarberia history since I grew up in Ireland.
    (Fiddle Dee Dee, Patata's)
    But I work in Scarberia now, actually at Cedarbrae C.I. HA! Too funny.
    Thanks for the words! Welcome to those newer than me! And I'm off to rep some. If I'm out of rep jail yet, that is!!
    You say you are from Ireland. My wife is part Irish and I have this question that she nor her mother could ever answer me. How does one starve to death during the great potatoe famine when one is surronded by an ocean?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another good story from Randy is how the BTO song Let It Ride came about. They were driving on an interstate headed for a gig south of the border (Louisiana maybe ). They were in between two trucks on the right hand lane and a third truck pulled up to pass them. Unbeknownst to the BTO boys, the truck drivers had decided to have a little fun with the long haired boys in the car, so they proceeded to box them in and then slowed down for several miles. The further they went, the madder the BTO boys got.

Eventually, the trucker who started it pulled off at the next exit, so the boys decided to follow him. Seeing that they had followed him, the truck driver pulled over. The BTO boys pulled up beside him and proceeded to give him an earful. All he said in response was, "It was all in fun boys. Just let it ride!" Hard to be angry after that.
    Last edited by FlyGuy123; Sat, Jan 30th, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
    A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
    Never beam down in a red shirt!
    The reason the Captain gets the girl IS because he's the Captain.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You say you are from Ireland. My wife is part Irish and I have this question that she nor her mother could ever answer me. How does one starve to death during the great potatoe famine when one is surronded by an ocean?
    Excellent question. Famine is often not about food shortage as much as it is about broken economics. Now you've given me something to read about...

"Although blight ravaged potato crops throughout Europe during the 1840s, the impact and human cost in Ireland—where a third of the population was entirely dependent on the potato for food—was exacerbated by a host of political, social and economic factors which remain the subject of historical debate." A quick Wikipedia check.
    Last edited by psells; Sat, Jan 30th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Some people don't like to hear this and I hope not to offend, but the simple fact is that the English were in charge, they had the Irish working to grow their crops and livestock, they controlled the fishing and the king owned the birds and wildlife. All the Irish people could afford was spuds and buttermilk which is actually sufficient to survive on. Remember this was during feudal law when the death penalty was doled out with glee for the slightest affront or percieved offence. So when the spuds died, so did the people!
    I'm just sayin'

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello-o-o-o any body out there?-ere-ere-ere?
    Sorry didn't mean to stop the whole thread!!
    Gosh Oh gee! Won't anybody come out to play?

< Still cheerful. See!

Thread Information