Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ashedfc
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen

Thread: Fun Fact: New glow in the dark quarter

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Want to see his bones?

When Canada introduced polymer bills last year to replace their paper ones, we thought – cool! Then just a few weeks ago, the Canadian government announced it was doing away with pennies as a cost-cutting measure, and we thought – seems drastic, but ok! Now they’ve announced that a new quarter to be released next week will glow in the dark. Alright – Canada’s completely lost it.
    On April 16, Canada will introduce a quarter bearing an image of a Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai. Its remains were found in Alberta in 1974, the first new species of dinosaur to be discovered there.
    (MORE: Canada’s Penny is No More – Is the U.S. Penny Next?)
    Viewing the quarter during the daytime, it will just appear to be a regular ol’ dino on a coin. But in the dark, the dinosaur’s skeleton glows, allowing Canadians to wow little kids.
    The coin has a photo-luminescent technology that supposedly won’t wear off. It will be part of a series called Prehistoric Creatures, which will include three more dino coins. Each will sell for $29.95, so Canadians probably won’t be using these at their local laundromat.
    (MORE: Kill the Dollar Coin — Long Live the Dollar Coin!)
    The Canadian government is hoping the coins will generate revenue and help reduce the deficit. With so much currency news coming out of our northern neighbor, we can’t wait until the next big announcement. Up next: invisible dimes?

Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/04/10...#ixzz1sDoMezdJ

As far as I'm concerned, if it helps the budget and it doesn't hurt the average Cnd. pocketbook, i'm ALL for it!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very good news!
    Now kids can start collecting "Glow in the dark 25cents coins, for fun & learn how to save in a piggy bank; rather than spending at a shopping mall into the vending machines for worthless stuff"...

This way they will save substantial amount of their own money. Every quarter counts, as 4quarter makes a dollar; 400 quarters makes 100$; 4000 quarters makes 1000$; it all depends on how many glow in the dark quarters your child can save..
    Last edited by ashedfc; Mon, Apr 16th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
    bmpsmommy likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wonder "Why Glow only the bones: Why not the entire Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai",, it would be even more interesting & adults will also start hoarding it..

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Only serious hobbyists would probably collect this glow-in-the-dark quarter as it costs $29.95 to order from the mint.
    Search & Win using Swagbucks! Redeem for amazon.ca/Cineplex/Shutterfly gift cards.
    Click >>> Swagbucks <<< and start earning your own.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You have to admit tho. . .it's a great gift for a kid. I think I'd frame it though. . .so he wouldn't lose it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

29.95$ for .25 cents, that makes a lot of sense
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

True, This gift is far better than a useless Chinese made toys which last only couple of days; this one will last for ever & being a collectivke item it will increase in value over time

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I bought a coin as a gift 8 or 9 years ago. I was just thinking about it and wondering what the current value of it was so I did a bit of research and it has doubled in value. They make a great gift.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I bought a coin as a gift 8 or 9 years ago. I was just thinking about it and wondering what the current value of it was so I did a bit of research and it has doubled in value. They make a great gift.
    Whis is only DOUBLY cool when they glow in the dark. . .
    i_forget likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

These collectibles grow in value over time. Similarly, Look at Gold, in the same time frame 8-9yrs, it's over 600%, Silver over 800%... & so on.. You could also buy Gold coins/bar or Silver coin/bar as investments..
    Last edited by ashedfc; Tue, Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Thread Information