User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How often do grandparents visit?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry about your situation Melanie. Both of my boys are special needs. My youngest has Autism and my oldest has ADHD and Aspergers. I am lucky that they are good sleepers, because sleep and coffee are the two things that I need in life to manage.

I do not know where you are, but there are respite programs out there (In Ontario that I have heard of for sure) that give overnight respite. You should check to see if there is anything in your area.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Personally I was always taking my son to see my parents, and after doing that for 2 years, (and my mom not visiting me once) I said i wouldn't do it anymore. Now my mom tries to visit every month. My dad has only been to my home twice, the day i got married and once when his truck broke down in the town i live in. So i don't expect visit's from him. My in laws are not aloud in my home, and i would prefer if my son and husband never visited them, but if there are any visit's going on, it only happen's when DH takes our son to see them. Then i have to deal with bad attitudes when they both get home. my in laws always upset my husband (he'll keep his bad attitude for 2 days after each visit) and my son act's up really bad when he get's home too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jayne_a View Post
    Personally I was always taking my son to see my parents, and after doing that for 2 years, (and my mom not visiting me once) I said i wouldn't do it anymore. Now my mom tries to visit every month. My dad has only been to my home twice, the day i got married and once when his truck broke down in the town i live in. So i don't expect visit's from him. My in laws are not aloud in my home, and i would prefer if my son and husband never visited them, but if there are any visit's going on, it only happen's when DH takes our son to see them. Then i have to deal with bad attitudes when they both get home. my in laws always upset my husband (he'll keep his bad attitude for 2 days after each visit) and my son act's up really bad when he get's home too.
    Sorry to hear that..as we all get older we want to develop our relationships with our families and it's sad to know that for some people it's not that important. I have that situation with my family too, my parents are at a point in their lives that they finished raising their kids and want to live their own lives (my daughter rarely sees them) but on the other hand my in-laws are complete opposites of my parents and are always trying to get us to visit more often

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My situation is a bit unique. My MIL lives with us (her own apartment in the lower level of our home). She visits almost every day for at least 15 minutes. She watches my youngest the days that my oldest is in JK (every other day).

My mom lives about an hour or so away. She comes to our home 2-3x a week and watches the girls when they are both home from school.

We go to my parents house maybe 4-5x a year. I don't really feel we need to take lots of special trips since I see my mom pretty often.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I know how disapointing, frustrating and hurtful it is when your parents are not involved in your kids lives. My parents are like that. They live 5 minutes away. My mom is 60 and not working - I have a 1,2 and 3 year old, so its been tough at times.
    I have gotten so upset with her, as have my two sisters but no change. I think she is tired from raising 6 kids herself, so I have some empathy for her, but I still get disappointed and hurt nevertheless.
    My MIL is fabulous! She is so warm and loving. She does what she can, but she works and has had various health issues the past few years so I try to give her some time to herself. But the difference is that you just know that she would do anything to help you or the kids, and you know that she misses the kids if she hasn't seen them in a week. With my mom, I never get that feeling... C'est la vie I guess. We just have to make it work best we can.

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

my mom lives close by - 5 min drive and we see her min once a week along with my sister. They help out and play with him while i do groceries or come along even for the trip. It will be helpful for when baby # 2 comes in the next 8 weeks.

My in laws live 20 mins away, sometimes see them once a week but usually more every 3 weeks. Its a handy call when im away for work or ill as my MIL is retired (a young retiree)

My dad on the other hand chose to move to the US and sees my son about every 6 months.

You can tell the different connections they have. To my mom "grandma" he always asks to go to Grandmas house and have a party (a sleepover). She even went a bought a car seat, now its always,,,,,I go in grandmas car?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information