User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Does a dog owner have to have a fenced yard?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in the GTA and have a neighbour with a very large and scary looking dog. They do not have a fence nor do we. The dog barks very loudly all times of the day and night and has even crossed over and ended up roaming our backyard. Just wanted to know what the laws are regarding pet owners and fences. Does anyone know? I really don't want to have to spend money putting up a fence because of the neighbour's dog.

Thanks for any help !
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Fence, no. Leash that only extends as far as the property boundary (even less is better), yes. This dog is roaming leashless on your property? Huge no. I don't know GTA animal control law, but it couldn't hurt to call your local office and ask. Have you tried talking to the owners first though; about leashing the dog when outside?
    Last edited by AmberLab; Sat, Apr 21st, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
    glowworm2k likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes the dog is almost always leashless ! I haven't spoken to the neighbours about it, but I probably should. I'll find out more about the local laws. Thanks for your help !

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Depends where you live in the GTA, but most of the GTA have leash laws if the property is not fenced, but even if there is no requirement for fencing or leashing, your animal must be under supervision and not 'running at large' which it is if its on your property.

PM me with the town/municipality and I can send you the bylaws for that area
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Does not need a fenced in yard, but the dog must be on a leash unless in a off-leash area.
    AmberLab likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For sure he should be tied up. I adore dogs but I would expect my neighbours to respect theirs and my property boundaries. I'm sure your "other" neighbours could tell you a thing or two.
    I had a friend that had this problem (dog was friendlyand this was after "trying to talk to them) When the dog came onto his property, he loaded him up and took him to the pound. Of course he told the pound who the owner was. Owner then has to PAY to get him back. He did it 3 times before they got the point.
    AmberLab and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Like others said, check your local by laws, but I think it's the same almost everywhere - the dog should be leashed. With that being said, if you want to keep a good relationship with your neighbour, it might be best to talk to them about it first. I only say that because maybe they don't realize that it's bothering anyone or that the dog is wandering, so sometimes it's best to give them one chance to fix the situation before you call animal control.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

depending on the city, animal control can be useless anyway
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think that it is pretty much the same across the board with fences....they are a community item, so if you were to put one up, they are responsible for half of the cost. My neighbour did not have a fence between him and his neighbour on the other side (semi) and he came home from work one day and had to write her a cheque because she just went and put one up without even asking him about it.

Got kids? Go let them rip out their flowers.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I think that it is pretty much the same across the board with fences....they are a community item, so if you were to put one up, they are responsible for half of the cost. My neighbour did not have a fence between him and his neighbour on the other side (semi) and he came home from work one day and had to write her a cheque because she just went and put one up without even asking him about it.
    Where I live, you have to give them at least 3 weeks written notice of putting up a fence along with three quotes from reputable companies for installation costs, if you choose to have a more expensive/ornate etc fence, they are only required to pay for a chainlink fence. If your bushes/flowers/whatever even push through that fence, your neighbour can send you a fine for infringing on their space - it is generally not worth the headache
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Where I live, you have to give them at least 3 weeks written notice of putting up a fence along with three quotes from reputable companies for installation costs, if you choose to have a more expensive/ornate etc fence, they are only required to pay for a chainlink fence. If your bushes/flowers/whatever even push through that fence, your neighbour can send you a fine for infringing on their space - it is generally not worth the headache
    GOOD GRIEF!!! Now I remember why i live in the country! What a shame people can't get along. It only takes one in the neighbourhood to wreck it for everyone.
    DaveP likes this.

Trading Score
    282 (100%)

There is NO fence law and NO leash law, provided that the dog is on your own property or another persons property with permssion.

Article 4 of the Toronto Municiple code states;

§ 349-11. Dogs running at large.
    A. No owner of a dog shall cause or permit the dog to run at large in the City, except as
    permitted in those areas of City parks where dogs are permitted to run at large as
    designated by City by-law.
    B. For the purposes of this chapter, a dog shall be deemed to be running at large when
    found in any place other than the premises of the owner of the dog and not under
    the control of any person.
    C. No person shall keep a dog off the premises of the owner other than on a leash
    which shall not exceed two metres in length except where consent is given by the
    person owning the property where the dog is found.
    However if the dog is on your property they can be fined for allowing their "animal to be at large"

I would talk to your nieghbour about it and if it isn't adressed you can file a complaint with the animal care and control center.They may ask you to keep a log and take picture that will assist them in laying charges.

Hope this helps

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

She said GTA not Toronto - but the basic law is the same

MQ, I know! It is crazy - my neighbours could not agree on a type fence so they BOTH put one up. One has an ornate black railing type, the other has wood. The one with the railing complains that the wood blocks their light and the two are always at city hall making bylaw complaints. Everyone on the street avoids both of them. Seriously, a dandelion grows on the property line and its an issue
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    She said GTA not Toronto - but the basic law is the same

MQ, I know! It is crazy - my neighbours could not agree on a type fence so they BOTH put one up. One has an ornate black railing type, the other has wood. The one with the railing complains that the wood blocks their light and the two are always at city hall making bylaw complaints. Everyone on the street avoids both of them. Seriously, a dandelion grows on the property line and its an issue
    I think your neighbourhood should get those two together and organize a duel at dawn. . .then you'll only have to worry about one of them. . heh heh heh (did I say that?! No, just my evil twin)

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They have already had a few showdowns in the street LOL the time they both wanted the extra parking spot on the street was hilarious, they both sat in their cars half in the spot glaring
    i_forget likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information