User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problems with receiving uccb

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I have 3 kids. But you cannot receive over $200 per month for uccb even if you have 10 kids.

My oldest turned 6 in November and we no longer receive $100 per month for him. I have tried applying for my youngest, but they require proof that I'm a Canadian citizen and 3 (THREE!!!) letters from people of authority (lawyer, doctor, social worker) or preschool teacher (he's too young for school) or receipts from programs he has been registered in (he's never been registered in anything).

Has anyone else encountered this problem before and how did you solve it? I can only provide a letter from his doc, but may have to pay for it and it may take a while. As well, I am required to provide all of this within 30 days or they will not process our request for payment!

So frustrating to say the least!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

There is no max amount. You get $100 per child under 6. You can apply for it online. That's how I applied for my youngest. Did you file your income taxes? You need to have filed income taxes.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/uccb-puge/menu-eng.html
    bmpsmommy and hathor like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    There is no max amount. You get $100 per child under 6. You can apply for it online. That's how I applied for my youngest. Did you file your income taxes? You need to have filed income taxes.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/uccb-puge/menu-eng.html

Yes, I've always filed income taxes. And I'm certain that I applied for my youngest when he was first born and got a letter saying you max out at $200 a month.... Can't find that letter tho!!

Maybe that's why they're making me jump through all these hoops is because it's a lot of retro pay??

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by spammy10 View Post
    Yes, I've always filed income taxes. And I'm certain that I applied for my youngest when he was first born and got a letter saying you max out at $200 a month.... Can't find that letter tho!!

Maybe that's why they're making me jump through all these hoops is because it's a lot of retro pay??
    I know for sure that there is no maximum amount per month. I would just call them. You should only need to submit his birth certificate and maybe yours or some landed immigrant paperwork if you weren't born here. I think there is a maximum in retro pay though I think.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I had the same issue with baby bonus when my dd was born. Apparently I wasn't a Canadian citizen and neither was my dd even though I was born and raised in the same city all my life and she was born here as well. It took me almost 2 years to get it straightened out, I ended up having to get my mp involved and it was fixed within 2 weeks. It was a massive headache but the back pay was really nice.
    hathor likes this.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

i also had a problem with them.. what i did was give them what they ask for.. if you can only provide a doctor letter, write them a letter and explain to them that your child is to young to be in school and he is not in any kind of program and this is the only thing you are able to provide them.. add the letter with the other paper work you send to them. i had ALOT of paper work that they wanted me to send so i wrote a list of everything that was in the envelope and explained what it was and why it was in the envelope. it might seem like alot of work for nothing but a few weeks later they sent me 6 years of backpay for 2 kids.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Sorry you're dealing with this! I just wanted to confirm that you definitely can get more than $200 per month - we've been getting $300 ever since my youngest was born a year and a half ago!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I received a letter from CCTB, not UCCB (both are issued thru CRA, but different areas) requesting additional information.

OP - you don't say how old your youngest is, but I'm assuming under 5. Contact the person listed on the letter - there should be a name (or at least a toll free number) and ask if you can provide other proof. What about a provincial health card showing that the child has coverage under you (and obviously showing you have coverage)? Or, the birth certificates? Also, in my case, I gave CCTB permission to get my records from UCCB so they could confirm that I *did* have another child, etc.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Ive also had a problem with them as well, mine was for my CCTB. I sent out for it when my LO was born, they sent me a letter stating i wasnt a canadian citizen ship and needed to provide more info, and needed to tell them wether i was married or not, and all his financial info.. .. when i called them they said i needed to send a copy of my birth certificate in to them and also write my marital status. ... of coarse.. had no birth certificate so had to pay 65$ to get it rushed.. however it came the next day by rush mail (WOOHOO)... so now im still waiting to hear back aswell...

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

We waited a year for our first and got just over 6000 in Retro pay and didn't have to jump through any hoops. We were getting 462/month with 1 kid and just got a deposit of 950 now that we have 2. Haven't got a letter explaining what the 950 is for yet, could include Retro since she is almost 3 months old now.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mastersaver View Post
    We waited a year for our first and got just over 6000 in Retro pay and didn't have to jump through any hoops. We were getting 462/month with 1 kid and just got a deposit of 950 now that we have 2. Haven't got a letter explaining what the 950 is for yet, could include Retro since she is almost 3 months old now.
    on the bright side of this, getting a big chunk of money always helps out!! especially when your not used to getting the extra income, looks like ill be getting a couple months backpay too

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

just be careful with the retro pay. You have to claim the UCCB as income, which increases your taxable, whereas the CCTB is NOT taxable.
    csaund21 and glowworm2k like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am in the same situation, except i am not a citizen but have PR and been a "hard working tax payer" for 8 years now. My status does entitle me to UCCB.

Anyhow, 2.5 yrs ago I had a baby, born in Ontario. We applied for the child benefits at that time and it was still the paper forms. In my "new baby/exhaustion haze" I failed to give all the information that was asked for in a form that at the time i was struggling to make head nor tail of (I did mention that i was in a fog right?).

Anyhow, so received a letter about 3 months later asking for more information - we provided that. Then another 6 months after that we got another letter asking for yet more information. We were told we had 30 days to respond or they would cancel the application. We couldn't make the 30 day deadline on this so I called CRA (before the deadline) and was told that they would not cancel the application and to send the information, so that is what we did (we were max a month late). And then we waited.....

About 4 months after that we had still not heard anything so i called them up and of course they had cancelled the application! I was flat out told to just start all over again. Lesson learned - do not believe what CRA tell you over the phone!

So we started again. By this time it was all online and a piece of cheese to apply. We did that and started to receive payments when my daughter was almost 2, and we did receive 11 months retroactive at that time.

So i called CRA and asked about the other 12 months of payments that they owe us. I was advised to write a letter asking for retroactive payment. Did that. Then got a letter for more information - i mean seriously they already know my life story!!!

Here is where it got messy (more than it already was!). They wanted proof that i was the primary caregiver in the first 12 months, and proof consists of :
    - letter from doctor : well he left town about 6 months ago so i cant get that
    - letter from social worker : didn't need one
    - letter from nursery: i took 12 months mat leave and stayed home so didn't use one
    - letter from priest/clergy: don't have one

So i was stuck. we needed 3 pieces from "positions of authority" that will attest to me being primary caregiver for first 12 months!
    Remember that in those first 12 months i received EI maternity benefits and CRA were writing to me about my first application so you would think it was a given. I wrote a letter explaining everything, sent copies of the letters they had sent to me, and sent what bits and pieces i had (prescription receipts with the same address on, swimming course receipt, visits to a nurse).

Anyhow, my application got denied saying i did not prove i was primary caregiver! The cheek of it! I was. I stayed home with her for 12 months (taking a big income hit!). So now what is my next move? CRA owe me $1,200 in UCB that we are entitled too + any benefits that would be calculated but i have no idea on the next move.

I honestly feel like i am being penalised because i took care of my baby myself without the need of social workers etc. I am angry and confused as to what they want, and how on the one hand they can pay out EI and then on the next not UCB saying i am not primary caregiver!

Any ideas?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bouncycat View Post
    I am in the same situation, except i am not a citizen but have PR and been a "hard working tax payer" for 8 years now. My status does entitle me to UCCB.

Anyhow, 2.5 yrs ago I had a baby, born in Ontario. We applied for the child benefits at that time and it was still the paper forms. In my "new baby/exhaustion haze" I failed to give all the information that was asked for in a form that at the time i was struggling to make head nor tail of (I did mention that i was in a fog right?).

Anyhow, so received a letter about 3 months later asking for more information - we provided that. Then another 6 months after that we got another letter asking for yet more information. We were told we had 30 days to respond or they would cancel the application. We couldn't make the 30 day deadline on this so I called CRA (before the deadline) and was told that they would not cancel the application and to send the information, so that is what we did (we were max a month late). And then we waited.....

About 4 months after that we had still not heard anything so i called them up and of course they had cancelled the application! I was flat out told to just start all over again. Lesson learned - do not believe what CRA tell you over the phone!

So we started again. By this time it was all online and a piece of cheese to apply. We did that and started to receive payments when my daughter was almost 2, and we did receive 11 months retroactive at that time.

So i called CRA and asked about the other 12 months of payments that they owe us. I was advised to write a letter asking for retroactive payment. Did that. Then got a letter for more information - i mean seriously they already know my life story!!!

Here is where it got messy (more than it already was!). They wanted proof that i was the primary caregiver in the first 12 months, and proof consists of :
    - letter from doctor : well he left town about 6 months ago so i cant get that
    - letter from social worker : didn't need one
    - letter from nursery: i took 12 months mat leave and stayed home so didn't use one
    - letter from priest/clergy: don't have one

So i was stuck. we needed 3 pieces from "positions of authority" that will attest to me being primary caregiver for first 12 months!
    Remember that in those first 12 months i received EI maternity benefits and CRA were writing to me about my first application so you would think it was a given. I wrote a letter explaining everything, sent copies of the letters they had sent to me, and sent what bits and pieces i had (prescription receipts with the same address on, swimming course receipt, visits to a nurse).

Anyhow, my application got denied saying i did not prove i was primary caregiver! The cheek of it! I was. I stayed home with her for 12 months (taking a big income hit!). So now what is my next move? CRA owe me $1,200 in UCB that we are entitled too + any benefits that would be calculated but i have no idea on the next move.

I honestly feel like i am being penalised because i took care of my baby myself without the need of social workers etc. I am angry and confused as to what they want, and how on the one hand they can pay out EI and then on the next not UCB saying i am not primary caregiver!

Any ideas?
    So frustrating!! So receiving maternity benefits wasn't proof enough that you were the primary caregiver? Were you able to provide receipts from the EI benefits paid to you during that time? That should be governmental proof that you were indeed off to take care of your child, shouldn't it? Good luck....the government can be very complicated

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i had a issue to when i moved i changed my address and they all the sudden decided that i was married and didnt qualify any more for my baby bonus i was getting 100$ a month instead of the 500$! I was single the entire time and it was a mess up on their end.! it took me 6 months of calling and filling out forms, and recalling and i too had to get my MP involved before anything was resolved. altho the back pay was nice.
    hathor likes this.
    join my superpoints network and get gifts card for amazon , or paypal, or rewards.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/skid13_mm
    http://www.surveysavvy.com/?m=4263495

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information