User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Not allowed to buy SDM gift cards with a credit card?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have purchased a few SDM cards recenlty on my mastercard and had no problems. I did encounter an issue about a year ago when I went to purchase several gift cards from SDM (mainly Visa and restaurant cards) that was well over $500 (maybe close to $1000) for prizes at work (my work reimbursed me). The Manager asked to take a copy of my ID due to the amount and the recent fraud that they had incurred (I think they said it was their policy for amounts over $100 or $150). It sounds like the policy varies by location.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    5,000 as in dollars? (*faint*)

I bought three $50 GCs on my MasterCard once, with no issues.
    It's because my CC limit is 5,000$ otherwise I might be wilder lol! Just kidding! But there are reasons behind this

I need about 150$ a month for gas, so for a year it costs about 1600$ I could use SDM GC to buy Esso GC (Some store might not let you do this but at my store it's ok)

Lottery tickets, Tim Horton GC, Best Buy GC and many other retailers GC I could pay with SDM GC.

When I redeem my points I could use SDM GC to pay for the tax

So to me spend 5,000$ is ok! I just have to be very careful where to keep the SDM GCs!

Got over 200,000 Optimum points on those purchase and got travel reward points for using my VISA too, so it was really a good deal for me!
    sarajk, Vov76 and Marteli like this.
    Want Free Paypal money or Gift Cards? Here you go!!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/thiennga

Thanks for being my referral!!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I didn't know you could pay for a lottery ticket with a GC, or buy other GCs for that matter!

Maxing out your CC on GCs is a new idea to me!

Quote Originally Posted by thien_nga View Post
    It's because my CC limit is 5,000$ otherwise I might be wilder lol! Just kidding! But there are reasons behind this

I need about 150$ a month for gas, so for a year it costs about 1600$ I could use SDM GC to buy Esso GC (Some store might not let you do this but at my store it's ok)

Lottery tickets, Tim Horton GC, Best Buy GC and many other retailers GC I could pay with SDM GC.

When I redeem my points I could use SDM GC to pay for the tax

So to me spend 5,000$ is ok! I just have to be very careful where to keep the SDM GCs!

Got over 200,000 Optimum points on those purchase and got travel reward points for using my VISA too, so it was really a good deal for me!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SDM in my area have never accepted credit card payments for gift card purchases.

And the Shoppers Credit Cards has little to do with SDM themselves. They are merely a client to Mbna which is now BofA. BofA offer the cards to consumers with rewards paid in Optimum points, which they purchase from SDM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information