User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HELP: My cat's ears are bumpy and crusted and it's not ear mites!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Honestly it looks like what ringworm looks like on cats ears, you can buy some canesten etc in the cream form and put it on a few times a day and rub it in well for a few weeks. Youll also have to clean and vacuum everywhere. Most cats do fight it off but it can live in your house for years. Its just a fungus.

THe shelter here got it and the ones whos bodies didn't break out there ears looked like this. If it was scabies you would have it to and be itcy as heck. Keep an eye on yourself for ringworm.

If youd like to know for sure they can do a swab and it takes a week for them to know if it is indeed ringworm, but if you want to avoid that cost Id just pick up the $10 antifungal.

Ringworm is very common in cats and they figure at least 80% have the virus and just carry it. The cats here had very hot feeling and crusty ears where the hair would fall out in patches.

If youd like further description pm me .

If after all investigations and avenues are exhausted you may have to get a biopsy to make sure its not the dreaded c word.
    Last edited by Sally888; Wed, May 9th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    Last January Bootsie went to the vet out here on Hamilton Mountain because she was suffering with itchy and just bad looking ears. Bill was $120 for everything. Negative for ear mites and vet said bacteria infection and was prescribed Surolan http://www.drugs.com/vet/surolan-drops-can.html Took about 9 days for it to go away but every so often it does come back and we use the drops. If you don't mind driving its better to go to the country cause vets are cheaper or even Guelph for the vet school.
    Good Luck

Hi anastasia1009,
    The vet actually prescribed Surolan today! We put it on Tank once already.
    They told us to put it IN her ear. The paper in the box said to put it on affected areas (which would bean outside the ear canal)...what did you do?

**UPDATE**
    We went to the new vet today (he was a lot more thorough than my last one!) and he gave us a list of tests (including blood work, ring worm test, swabs and scrapings etc) he wants to do with the prices listed too. Because it was late in the day and he had already spent 1.5 hours with Tank and the place was packed, he suggested we take her home with Surolan for now and come back again to let him know what we want to have done.
    During the examination, he pulled out his UV/black light device and it highlighted Tank's crust's as yellow, which suggests ringworm. He said it's not a completely accurate test, but it gives him an idea of what it could be. It was $110 for the exam/consult and the medication.

We'll be seeing him again on Monday. He was nice enough to offer us a "continuation of the exam" so we don't have to pay another $70+ to see and consult with him. I told him how we're on a budget and he totally gets it! I have a very positive feeling about the vet, so hopefully he'll fix Tank asap.

I decided to switch Tank's food, in case she did develop an allergy to chicken/poultry and rice/grains.
    She's now on a grain free, fish based food both canned and dry. Global Pet Foods was amazing about it and made it super easy to do the exchange.
    Tank's gobbling up the food, no problem which is good! She's lost about a pound! She's now 9lbs which is a decent weight.

Thanks for everyone's concerns, input and suggestions! Keep them coming!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Honestly it looks like what ringworm looks like on cats ears, you can buy some canesten etc in the cream form and put it on a few times a day and rub it in well for a few weeks. Youll also have to clean and vacuum everywhere. Most cats do fight it off but it can live in your house for years. Its just a fungus.

THe shelter here got it and the ones whos bodies didn't break out there ears looked like this. If it was scabies you would have it to and be itcy as heck. Keep an eye on yourself for ringworm.

If youd like to know for sure they can do a swab and it takes a week for them to know if it is indeed ringworm, but if you want to avoid that cost Id just pick up the $10 antifungal.

Ringworm is very common in cats and they figure at least 80% have the virus and just carry it. The cats here had very hot feeling and crusty ears where the hair would fall out in patches.

If youd like further description pm me .

If after all investigations and avenues are exhausted you may have to get a biopsy to make sure its not the dreaded c word.
    Hi Sally888,
    Thanks so much for the informative post!
    Canesten will work? I'm totally willing to try it. Is there a particular one I should buy?

The vet said there might be a chance it's ring worm - he did a UV/blacklight test and it highlighted yellow bits but he also wants to do a ringworm test, which is $120 to be 100% sure.
    As for it being contagious, Tank's been sleeping on everyone's beds........................especially mine!!! I'm off to do laundry and clean after this post! Ack..

& yes, he did mention that it could be cancer and that the last thing he'd do is a biopsy. But since she's not so young anymore and it's a pretty serious test, he's saving it for last. Thanks again, I'll keep the list updated!
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I am glad to hear you got some answers and hopfully tank will be feeling much better. And I am happy the vet was alot better than the last one

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

edited because i see you already have a solution!!
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Thu, May 10th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Buy lots of bleach - 99% of the time if it shows up with the light it is ringworm
    It would be a good idea to Tank isolated to a room if you dont have an open concept place so he isn't reinfecting himself if it is
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

As far as surolan, the infection may be in the ear but it will help to put it on the affected area, we usually squeeze drops in and wearing a glove massage it up the ear

The Canestan is the regular one (not extra strength) - it helps with the spores and soothes the area but the vet will usually prescribe an oral med too, you just massage it on to the infected areas
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information