Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ssbean
  • 1 Post By K8's Fate
  • 1 Post By alicia
  • 1 Post By ssbean

Thread: Gum Graft - any advice?

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

So today I just went through dental surgery and had a gum graft. Tissue was taken fron the upper hard part of my mouth's palette, and sewn onto my lower front gum. I have a receding gum below my lower front tooth. Caused by thin gum (genetics). The graft is supposed to help save the tooth, and strengthen my gum.

So...has anyone ever had this procedure done?

I'm in a lot of pain right now. The pain meds help a bit. I really don't want the gum graft to not take. Wondering what others recovery experiences may have been like. I'm not supposed to do anything strenuous. Looks like I have an excuse to spend more time on SCs.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went through it twice because the first time it didn't take. It also didn't take the second time so I just gave up and now it is worse than it was before.

I do remember that it healed really quickly both times. I hope yours takes and that you are feeling better soon.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KaraMA View Post
    I went through it twice because the first time it didn't take. It also didn't take the second time so I just gave up and now it is worse than it was before.

I do remember that it healed really quickly both times. I hope yours takes and that you are feeling better soon.
    Thanks KaraMA

I'm glad the healing went quickly, but I'm so sorry yours didn't take. I think that's what I'm worried about the most.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ack...I had two done about 15-20 years ago....the worst thing i have ever experienced. For me the procedure was terrible, the needles in the roof of the mouth had tears just streaming down my face.
    I did live through it though and both of mine took just fine. It was such a long time ago that I do not remember the recovery time.
    I just shudder at the experience though...brutal.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I had one done years ago...it felt like I had burned the roof of my mouth. Not sure if I really needed it, I found out later that the dentist was a crook - and that was one of his money-making schemes. Hope you feel better soon.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy54 View Post
    ack...I had two done about 15-20 years ago....the worst thing i have ever experienced. For me the procedure was terrible, the needles in the roof of the mouth had tears just streaming down my face.
    I did live through it though and both of mine took just fine. It was such a long time ago that I do not remember the recovery time.
    I just shudder at the experience though...brutal.
    Thanks for posting. I don't think this experience is easily forgettable!

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I had one done years ago...it felt like I had burned the roof of my mouth. Not sure if I really needed it, I found out later that the dentist was a crook - and that was one of his money-making schemes. Hope you feel better soon.
    I kind of feel that way too. I've had soo many dental procedures this year. I kind of feel like I have a have a walking billboard that follows me into their offices reading;

"Teacher - with really good dental benefits!"

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

I have had the procedure done twice on two different areas. The first one was about 15 years ago. They took a big chunk of tissue from the upper part of my mouth's palette. That area was sensitive for a long time and took months for the tissue to fill in again. The second procedure I had was about 4 years ago. Much less tissue from the upper palette was used and it healed very quickly. I was in a lot of pain for the first few days but healed quickly. When they first remove the patch covering the graft it was white. I was so worried it didn't take but it was just because there was no exposure to air. Turned a nice pink shortly after. For the first two weeks I was told no flossing and to use an extra soft toothbrush in that area. Both times the graft took nicely and has worked long term.

I hope you feel better.
    Last edited by ssbean; Sat, Jul 28th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
    K8's Fate likes this.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ssbean View Post
    I have had the procedure done twice on two different areas. The first one was about 15 years ago. They took a big chunk of tissue from the upper part of my mouth's palette. That area was sensitive for a long time and took months for the tissue to fill in again. The second procedure I had was about 4 years ago. Much less tissue from the upper palette was used and it healed very quickly. I was in a lot of pain for the first few days but healed quickly. When they first remove the patch covering the graft it was white. I was so worried it didn't take but it was just because there was no exposure to air. Turned a nice pink shortly after. For the first two weeks I was told no flossing and to use an extra soft toothbrush in that area. Both times the graft took nicely and has worked long term.

I hope you feel better.
    Thanks

I'm so glad that you had good results with this procedure. Your response really helps me to know what to expect.
    ssbean likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My Dad had this done three times for three different areas of it mouth over the past five years. He found it no proven - went back to work that afternoon.

My aunt (Moms sister) ended up with two of these and took Valium to get through them and was out of commission for five days. Not saying it didn't hurt (for sure it did) but you'd have to know her, and she is just over the top.
    ssbean likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Okay, so it's been a week and I'm feeling a lot better.

One question though (for those of you who've had this procedure)...
    The "putty" is still covering both incisions.
    So, should I leave it covering them? Or try to remove the putty?
    I'm not going to the periodontist for another 11 days. Just wondering what to do. Thx

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by K8's Fate View Post
    Okay, so it's been a week and I'm feeling a lot better.

One question though (for those of you who've had this procedure)...
    The "putty" is still covering both incisions.
    So, should I leave it covering them? Or try to remove the putty?
    I'm not going to the periodontist for another 11 days. Just wondering what to do. Thx
    Don't remove the putty! You want to leave it on and have the periodontist remove it. I think mine were on for just over 2 weeks. The grafts need time to take. The patch on the upper palette will likely come off on it's own. It did for me but that was fine.

Hang in there!
    Last edited by ssbean; Wed, Aug 1st, 2012 at 04:56 AM.
    K8's Fate likes this.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Thread Information