User Tag List

Thread: Living in P.E.I

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What are the Pros and Cons to living in P.E.I.? What is the job market like (my husband is a licensed automotive mechanic)? What do you hate/love the most about living/lived there?

We're currently located in SW Ontario and I REALLY need a change in scenery plus cheaper housing, and we REALLY need to get away from dh parents/family. I cannot express the dislike I have for them....and ALL of us live in the same small town. The gossip/lies/rumours/pettiness is so extreme, I feel as though I am in high school again (and no, there's no point in trying to reconcile with them. Believe me I've tried. But the bull**** that spews from their mouth is utter insanity. For example, my father in law STRONGLY believes that you can "catch gay". Really, you can catch gay. He is so homophobic its rediculous, and now he hates me for turning his son/my husband "gay" b/c my mother is a lesbian, so that means that I have "caught gay"and passed it on to his son. I have no idea how my husband is so intelligent when these people have spawned and raised him). DH said that he'd follow me and the kids anywhere in Canada, but has his reservations about P.E.I.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My brother-in-law is from PEI. He moved to Calgary to find work. I would make sure you have employment before making the big move.

You might think about getting some counseling to work out your issues with these toxic relatives. There's nothing wrong with you, sometimes it helps to talk to a professional; they might see it from a different perspective and have suggestions on how to deal with these people . They shouldn't drive you out of town. You may be trading one form of stress for another...just my two cents. Best of luck to you.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I agree, I would make sure you have employment first before going anywhere. Also, maybe look at other areas as well. You may be surpised at some affordable homes in some nice areas. I also agree with maybe getting some professional help to deal with family issues. I think the best thing for now is to stay away from them as much as possible. I know your in a small town but still, just stay away from them. As long as you know the truth to things that is all that matters.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, May 29th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

the only problem with staying away from them, is that they live 2 houses down from us (a cousin lives 6 doors down, his grandma lives 2 blocks away, and another cousin lives 5 mins away), and watch the comings and goings with our home constantly! And professional help can't rid me of these people, moving can. As of now, I am black balled from all of my husbands family get togethers (b/c I told me FIL he was a complete dumb*** for believing you can "catch gay" as well as all of his other highly intelligent opinions, I had no idea everyone else in that family thought the same as he did. Professional help can't fix stupid), so at this point I no longer give a flying rats behind about what they think or do.....but b/c I have 2 small children, I must think about what is best for them, and living/being surrounded by their toxic behaviour is affecting my children.

My husband is leaning more towards Calgary or Muskoka area.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I would try and stay in the province your in first. Maybe look in the Muskoka area with your husband and see what the housing is like. Also, you will need to see if your DH can get a job up there. I know right now it must suck, but remember, your doing this for your children, and just ignore anyone who is looking at you or acting stupid. If I were you just close your doors and put the blinds down in your home and than when you do go outside just do what you need to do and go back in. You need to show as well that this is still your home and area and will not be scared by these people.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I'm sorry about your troubles, NaiNai - but I had to smile - when you said you need to go to a place where you can live more affordably - I thought - perfect - they should live where WE do - in CHATHAM, ONT.! Then I saw that YOU also live in CHATHAM - housing here is incredibly cheap compared to other places I've lived! You could call a realtor who might be able to give you some insight. I know one that I really trust - if you want to pm me!
    There IS a Chatham New Brunswick - but I don't know anything about it.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Thread Information