• 1 Post By bmpsmommy
  • 2 Post By aussie
  • 1 Post By glowworm2k
  • 3 Post By Minou
  • 1 Post By oddduck

Thread: Couponing for a new arrival..?

Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I am coming to you guys for advice on how to coupon for a baby. My partner & I will be TTC in the very near future & I would love tips, since I have never shopped for baby items with coupons.

Questions I have..

1. Is it cheaper to buy store brand/no name brand (Costco? Walmart?) diapers as opposed to brands like Huggies/Pampers using coupons?

2. Where can one get coupons for diapers, wipes, etc? I always get the the inserts, so there's always those ones. As well as ordering the P&G coupons from Brandsaver site.

3. Are there any sites or companies who offer coupons/samples if you are expecting?

4. What stores usually have the best deals on diapers, when you use coupons in conjunction with coupons?

5. What is considered a good price for diapers & wipes? When you look at what it will equal per diaper or per X amount of wipes, what is considered a great deal?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me advice. Raising a baby can be expensive, and like anything else, I want to get the best deal possible on items!
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Huggies, Pampers, Walmart
    Join Swagbucks to start earning Amazon gift cards & Paypal $$$!
    Join Swagbucks!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

you can sign up with shoppers for their V.I.B, nestle and similac sends out samples, similac sends out cheques aswell. I dont know if i would stock up too much on diapers and forumla just yet as you dont know whats going to work best for your baby. Huggies gives my daughter a very nasty rash. Wipes would be ok to stock up on. I have come across more huggies coupons lately then pampers. I never really see coupons for wipes anymore so cant help with that. I dont have a costco membership but i hear good things about there kirkland brand diapers. My friend did pick me up a box of the kirkland brand wipes and they are great.

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

Here's a list of all the samples available :
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/137048-...y-list-canada/

I sign up for similac, enfamil and nestle. I got a diaper bag with some samples & coupons from nestlé. I really like the diaper bag I'm gonna use it when my baby boy comes. I sign up one time for the similac and received 5 times the samples & coupons ($10 & $5 cheques). Enfamil also sent me a sample with some coupons. And you can sign up for the enfamil magazine they send you one every 2-3 months (I think) with HV coupons in it ($12 off enfapro).
    V.I.B. from SDM sent me huggies diapers sample, one bib, and other stuff I can't remember & they send you some bonus point coupons for babies products.

I would not pay more than $0,20 per diaper for the size nb,1 & 2.

Call J&J to ask for a first parent pack. They used to give a FPC for a product of your choice but now they give a FPC for a travel size pack (sold around $5).

You can also try to send email to pampers/huggies to see if they send coupons. I never got any each times I was asking but you may be lucky.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by bibiee; Wed, May 30th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
    ~Sarah~ likes this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Pampers and Huggies are just as inexpensive with coupons. I find they have a better absorbancy than the store brands. I do use the Costco Kirkland brand, which are a good deal. I don't calculate cost per item because I cloth diaper so disposables are used for travel and night time only. In other words, I am not spending a lot on diapers as I use cloth, which is more upfront but less in the long term.

Costco is the best price for wipes whether you use the Kirkland brand or Huggies. We find the Huggies a little gentler.

I buy at Costco and SDM. SDM usually has their Jumbo packs of diapers on sale for 20X the points. The Jumbo pack is actually the smallest pack, but usually works out to be the best deal. Don't pay more than $10.99 or $9.99 for them before coupons. Regular price is $14.99. Then you get Optimum Points and can stock up on redemption days too.

I would start out buying 2 packs of NB (no more because baby grows out of these quickly) 2 packs of size 1s and 2 packs of size 2s and a Costco box of wipes. You will need to buy more size 1s and 2s, but if you buy one of each Huggies and Pampers you can see which fits your baby better, and sometimes that changes with size. If your baby is sensitive then you won't have a stock pile of diapers you won't use either.

Check out this thread...for coupons and freebies if you haven't already http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/137048-...y-list-canada/

I hope that helps a wee bit.
    ~Sarah~ likes this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Pampers/Huggies good sale prices after coupons: Size 1 and 2 $0.08-$0.10 a diaper, Size 3 $0.10-$0.15 a diaper (bought all of mine at $0.10), Size 4 $0.15-$0.17 a diaper, Size 5 $0.19 a diaper. Size 6 can be more expensive: $0.20 to $0.25 My first son went through a bag and a half of NB (and they leaked badly!), and my second used less than a bag. (NB diapers are usually sold in the small Jumbo packs) "Premium" types (like Swaddlers or Cruisers) tend to cost a little bit more per diaper, but they also fit a bit larger, so if your child is getting close to the end of a size, but the next size up is too big, buy Cruisers! It seems that the Huggies are stiffer and aren't quite as big as the Pampers in each size (maybe because they're not as flexible?) I just went through a huge box of Huggies Little Movers and thought for sure I'd have to move to a bigger size. Turned out that the Pampers Baby Dry in the same size were bigger and fastened properly over his tummy. Pampers are scented and Huggies aren't, though my first son had regular Huggies leak and got rashes from Huggies Little Movers. Just a warning: Pampers Baby Dry size 1-2 are EXACTLY the same size as the size 1 diapers!

Sometimes store brand diapers go on sale, making them MUCH cheaper than a sale price on name-brand diapers. I like Compliments diapers (Sobeys) and Teddy's Choice (Superstore), and I've seen them go on for $6.49 a mega pack. (They were last week!) They're not scented like the Pampers. Buy one size larger, though, as they tend to run small.

I really haven't seen diapers at Costco on a really fabulous sale. It's normally more expensive to buy them there! I see people loading up at regular price, and when I do the calculations, they're actually paying several cents more per diaper than they would elsewhere!

Wipes: $2.00/refill pack usual sale price, $1.49 normally the best sale price. A few weeks ago, I did find Huggies wipes for about $1.06 a refill, but that's the lowest I've seen. Pampers Sensitive have been good, but the Pampers Soft Care and old Swipers were highly scented and caused my son rashes. Despite being scented, all of the Huggies wipes have been really good! Love the smell of the Huggies Soft Skin wipes (They have a bit of oil or moisturizer to them, too) Kirkland wipes from Costco can be a really good deal when they go on sale, but to me, they smell really unpleasant, even though they're an unscented product.

If you see diapers on clearance and the price is incredible, stock up! Most kids are in sizes 3 and 4 for the longest, but if your child is big, he/she will spend a lot of time in size 5 as well! Don't buy more than a few boxes in size 1 and 2. My first son went through the equivalent of one mega pack a week, and my second uses about 3/4 of that. They both needed size 3 diapers by the time they hit the three month mark. (They were 16 and 17 1/2 pounds at that point, so they were bigger than most)

Good luck! Carry a calculator in your purse so you can do price per diaper calculations. Manufacturers tend to try to confuse people about what's a good deal by making lots of different package sizes.
    ~Sarah~, Granger and Venuila like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Thanks so much for the information Minou - I will have to find this post when I really start helping my sister build up a stock pile of diapers for her boys. And with two on the way, I know the stock pile will have to be a bit bigger than most
    Granger likes this.

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Sorry I can't offer much advice cause I just started couponing a few months ago and am trying to make a little stockpile myself before baby arrives.
    But, with that said, here are the best prices I have found so far:
    Pampers Wipes - $24 at Walmart for 1024 wipes - works out to 0.0234 per wipe (even cheaper if you have a coupon - I got $1 off box of sensitive wipes by emailing pampers about missing coupons in a diaper pack).
    Huggies Wipes - $16.83 at Walmart for 768 wipes = 0.0220 per wipe (even cheaper if you use a coupon; $1 ones found in inserts are good to use on these making it 0.0207 per wipe).
    Pampers Diapers - Cheapest sale price (before coupons) I've found is 0.19/diaper for size 1, 0.21 for size 2, 0.20 for size 3.
    Huggies Diapers - Cheapest sale price (before coupons) I've found is 0.17 size 1, 0.15 size 2 (at costco for 258 pack), 0.1688 size 3 (costco 228 pack).

The link that was provided with the baby coupon/freebies is extremely helpful.

Minou, where are you getting size 1-2 diapers at 0.08-.010 per diaper? I've been keeping a price list of diapers the last few months to keep an eye on where the best deals are but have yet to find anything compareable to that. Would LOVE to find them at this price!
    The best deal I have found so far, after coupons, is 0.15 for size 1 huggies at SDM (on sale for 17.99 - 3.00 peelie).

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

There is a sobeys baby be healthy club( for women TTC,pregnant and nursing mums) that was launched at all sobeys atlantic stores last week! you get a welcome pack( in mine I got a baby spoon,toothbrush,1 diaper, 2 samples of cream, 1 similac Mom drink, and a few brochures) , and free prenatal vitamins! ( for 2 years I believe) definently worthwhile to join!
    KK7 and lindsbeth112984 like this.
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

where do you sign up for the sobeys baby be healthy club?

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

I believe you sign up in store.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I haven't tried any couponing for baby stuff myself, although I expect I will start all that up before too long. Just a word of warning though... As someone who unexpectedly had a whole bunch of problems TTC, I would recommend not actually starting your stockpile until you get that BFP. I really didn't expect to have fertility problems, and didn't have any of the "risk factors" or common signs that the doctors would warn about (I'm under 30, relatively slim, physically active, no outward signs of any secondary conditions, etc.). While most people won't have the difficulty I did, I say it as if I had had a big pile of baby stuff staring at me when I couldn't seem to get pregnant, it would've just made the whole thing so much worse. That's just my two cents, but is a bit of food for thought.

Congrats to all those here who are expecting and baby dust to all those hoping to be!!
    aussie likes this.

Trading Score
    201 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by hayl_hoop View Post
    where do you sign up for the sobeys baby be healthy club?
    sorry i forgot to mention that part... you just sign up at the pharmacy!
    Get paid for your opinion! http://legerweb.com/J4Z12
    Join Swagbucks and earn free money and giftcards!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/melissabrien

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Venulia:

Just keep looking for sales and doing the per diaper price calculations. I guarantee you're going to find better prices than $0.15 a diaper in size 1! Look at the Walmart largest pack diapers when they go on sale (with a coupon, size 1 would be under $0.12 a diaper), and check Superstore/Extra Foods, as they sometimes match the price per diaper on smaller packs, meaning your coupon goes further. You could also use PC points or Superbucks to help reduce the cost. I did find some clearance, but most of the 1-2 diapers were purchased during regular sales back in September. (September is a good month for diaper sales. Walmart has their anniversary sale, and Toys R Us usually has sales as well. If you have a few months, don't feel the need to stock up too much now if the sales aren't fabulous.) Only buy at SDM if the price is close to other places and the points are too good to pass up. (Get them free there, too, with your points!) I bought all of my size 3 diapers for $0.10 when they were on pink sticker clearance, but it seems possible to get them at $0.13-$0.15 pretty regularly on sale. Really consider Compliments or Teddy's Choice diapers when they go on for $6.50 a pack. Most of the time, the price of mega pack (bagged) diapers in the name brands are not a good deal (unless they're on sale for around $10 minus coupon) or on a really good clearance.

It really feels good to have a substantial stockpile and not have to worry about when diapers will be on sale again! It's especially great when you're busy with a baby and have your income reduced while you're on maternity leave. Gail Vaz-Oxlade says she curbed her impulse to buy unneccessary baby stuff while she was pregnant by buying diapers and wipes whenever they were on sale.
    aussie, ~Sarah~ and Venuila like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I bought lots of stuff while pregnant.

Found cases of TC diapers for $4.20/148 of size 3s at Loblaws, so I stocked up... yes -- that's like $0.03/diaper. They were changing the packaging.

Cosco does have good prices when they go on sale. Regular prices are pretty meh though.
    Minou likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oddduck View Post
    I bought lots of stuff while pregnant.

Found cases of TC diapers for $4.20/148 of size 3s at Loblaws, so I stocked up... yes -- that's like $0.03/diaper. They were changing the packaging.

Cosco does have good prices when they go on sale. Regular prices are pretty meh though.
    That really was a fabulous deal, wasn't it? I had a stack of Teddy's Choice diaper boxes in the basement for my first son, though I don't think any of the boxes near me went down to quite that price. I bought a carload! Would love for them to change packaging again!

I kind of wonder whether they'll eventually be clearing out the Olympic-themed Pampers boxes. One of the box sizes seems unusual.

Thread Information