User Tag List

Thread: Best E-Reader ?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    88 (99%)

Hi

I"m wondering about getting an e reader - I current just take books out of the library for free but here in Winnipeg bed bugs are getting bad so I'm interested in trying this out.

Which e reader is best? do the library's allow downloads to e readers?

Where would the best price be?

Thanks & Happy New Year

Kit
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

the sony is the best hands down! though it is one of the most expensive!, it will allow you to put books from multi sources (library, online sites, random, PDF's) on your reader it can also play audio books and has an insert to add more memory (for things like audio books) the prices tend to be the same if not similar no matter where you go.. though you might have a tricky time finding one since they were the HOT christmas gift this year most places were sold out
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good question. I've been dithering between a Sony and a wifi Kobo. I've $70 in Chapters gift cards, so the Kobo has been looking good...

I know I want one by Easter so, I'm in no hurry to rush out and buy one this month. I'm hoping that a colour version arrive up here soon. Friends in the States love their Kindles and Nooks.

Grasshopper
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you already have a smartphone, you can also read ebooks on that.

I have an iPhone and I use it as an ereader. You can get apps for all the major resellers like Kindle and I found a bunch of free ebooks to read as well.

Saves me buying a separate ebook reader.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Yeah, I have Stanza on my iPod, but a bigger screen would be nice..

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What I did before buying a ereader was to check with my library to see what system
    they support (download to) found that their system work best with Sony <!-- END TEMPLATE: gal_link_standard --> and a Kobo. I live in brampton, ON and the library system currently doesn't support Kindle. I love books but love free books even better. So I got a Kobo (it was on sale at bestbuy)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Did you get the KOBO with WiFi?

I've read some online reviews that have been less than happy to own a KOBO, heard it's slow and the battery life is lousy.

So how is it going?

Oh and with the Sony can you store off your books to a chip or are they forever on the reader?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Looking into getting an e-reader myself. Since i download a lot of books in pdf format i need to get one that displays pdfs properly .. does anyone have an e-reader that works well with pdfs and how much did you pay ?

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I love my Kindle, but I don't think it is supported by most library systems. I think the Sony works best with libraries.
    http://superpoints.com/refer/hockeymomma
    Click here to join me at Superpoints and get free Amazon GCs!!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i have a sony. all my books are on my computer just like any other file, i keep them organized in a program called calibre (it's free and compatible with many different readers) the program will also convert books from most any format into "epub" which is the common format for most readers. the Sony is great, i can get books from any source (from pdf manuals, library books, down to fanfiction i've found online) it also can play audio with headphones and i know that the sony is library compatible (i haven't used library downloads myself but many friends have and my mother had... i talked her into getting one lol)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    126 (100%)

I have an iPad.
    I used to have a Sony.
    DBf has a Kindle 3G.

If you have the $$$ the iPad is amazing.
    If you just want an ereader, go with the Kindle. Although the Kindle uses a proprietary format for ebooks, you can use free software (Calibre) to convert any ebook into Kindle format.

The screen contrast on the Kindle is fantastic too. You can read it in the sun with no glare

The Sony was fine, but that is all it was.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm trying out the Cruz tablet that the Shopping Channel had as a showstopper the other week. Downloads the Kindle software. So far so good. The colour is good, it uses wifi and you can access the internet. Just under $200. Took me about ten minutes to get it up and running.

Thread Information