• 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen
  • 1 Post By Brandy Hunter
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 2 Post By dizzyb

Thread: Best Credit Card?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would like to get a credit card, to start building my credit, and for emergencies. I don't know what company would be best for me, easily accessible (since I pretty much have no credit.. it's taken me this long to even think about getting one), and widely known.

Anyone know of the best 'beginners' credit card?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Previously CanadianBella... I'm baaack!
    Check out my Trade & Wishlist

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My suggestion depends upon with whom you bank - best idea for a newbie is a credit card issued by your bank, but the purchase payments come out of your checking account. You use it just like a regular credit card, you get price protection, extended warrantees, etc., but don't have the 'temptation' of using it too much and getting stuck in the credit trap by paying interest.
    Ours is through our credit union.

Otherwise, it's going to depend upon how long you've been working full time and what your wage is, to see what type of credit card companies would accept you.
    xox2010 likes this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know which is the best credit card. . . but I can say that all the credit bureaus I read every day usually hold reports mostly by Citi Financial and Capital one.
    That tells me they are the easiest to get credit from. . but that's not neccesarily a good thing.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    My suggestion depends upon with whom you bank - best idea for a newbie is a credit card issued by your bank, but the purchase payments come out of your checking account. You use it just like a regular credit card, you get price protection, extended warrantees, etc., but don't have the 'temptation' of using it too much and getting stuck in the credit trap by paying interest.

Otherwise, it's going to depend upon how long you've been working full time and what your wage is, to see what type of credit card companies would accept you.
    I have one of those
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

Is this a VISA debit card? I'm curious what this is.

I have a student VISA from my bank.. I'm not sure if you're a student, but I have a slightly lower interest rate (I pay it off every month anyway), and I earn cashback through it.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

xo - it's called a Global MasterCard - a real credit card, not a debit card - but now that I see from looking online, it seems that it's only through credit unions. I love it because I can use it online, or for anything.
    As for limit, that's limited to what we have as a line of credit on our checking account.

For extra info
    http://www.cuets.ca/products/masterc...al_payment.htm
    xox2010 likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have the debit credit card. It's great to use online and stuff - but moving money from one account to another (they're each in different accounts, one saving, one chequing) is expensive!! I think it's like 5$ either way, and, if you're missing 1-2$ on your Credit Card side, and need to send it over (happened many a time) it adds up lol. I'm tired of it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is pretty easy to get a credit card from MBNA.
    Earn $50 by opening an account at ING Direct using orange key 35844570S1 and deposit $100. PM me to get additional $10.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I would suggest looking first for a card that works in your favour: one that has no annual fee, and gives you some form of reward for using it (cash back, PC points, AirMiles, Shoppers Optimum points, etc.). If you are planning to pay off the balance every month (which I strongly suggest, otherwise your money is being wasted), you wouldn't need to be overly concerned about the interest rate.
    My first card was a BMO AirMiles Mastercard. I have been using it to pay for almost everything outside of pre-authorized payments, because the rewards add up so quickly! Keep in mind that if I don't have enough to pay for it by debit, I won't put it on credit: so I can pay off the balance every month and avoid nasty interest charges. It's by far the quickest method I have found for collecting rewards, and it doesn't cost me one cent more than it would if I had paid cash.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I have the PC MC as my backup card and it was one of my first CCs. You might still get $20 for signing up and possibly a free bag of cookies if you do it through one of the people chasers in the stores.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBella View Post
    I have the debit credit card. It's great to use online and stuff - but moving money from one account to another (they're each in different accounts, one saving, one chequing) is expensive!! I think it's like 5$ either way, and, if you're missing 1-2$ on your Credit Card side, and need to send it over (happened many a time) it adds up lol. I'm tired of it.
    LOL, you must spend big. I know what I have in my checking account, and would never go over. Even if I did, we do have a small line of credit.

But I hope you've been doing some research on different cards, and their interest rates, etc. It's a big project!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I do not know what is the best credit card but I know VISA card very handy, it used to payment international

Last edited by happiness20m10; Fri, Nov 30th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my opinion every company's credit card are best. The only concern is that, you must have take a credit card by any company or bank. It give you help in case of emergency.

Thread Information