• 2 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 1 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 2 Post By itsmewhoelse
  • 1 Post By itsmewhoelse

Thread: Too cold for plants!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I've got a cold, DS and DH are gone to the movies and I thought I'd start thinking about doing some planting.

Each season is a little like Christmas in my house. At the end of say, summer, I pick up items on clearance and put them away, then come spring I have surprises. Sure enough, I just went out to the shed, there's stuff I forgot about. Big planters and stuff!

I went up to the garden centre earlier to pick up some dirt while I have a car this weekend, but I'm going to have to wait on plants. For one thing I didn't realize I had these planters, so I can buy more stuff. For another, it's darned cold! I think last night it was zero. Wee plants will not survive! .
    This thread is currently associated with: Spring Shoes

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Yes, starting a new season always means that you get those "surprises" from the "clear-outs" last year! It's such fun! The weather here has finally turned around - VERY WARM today.
    Patty Smyth, ticul and oscarandme like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love the surprises in the shed. I totally forgot what I picked up last year on clearance at Walmart

Christmas in springtime
    Zonny and itsmewhoelse like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I had actually picked up what I thought was a crap load of potting soil., shrimp compost and cow poo but while I was potting up everything today realized I will end up using it ALL !!! I thought I had enough for 2 seasons lol
    itsmewhoelse likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

that mud can go fast! I ordered in 4 yards of mud a few years ago. DH asked where is all that going to go. Well there was none left, of course a large raised bed and planters, and the rest spread around the yard to TRY to grow grass and it was gone.
    I ordered in 5 yards this year, as the raised bed was low ( stealing mud here and there for planters lol)
    I also wanted to have old mud taken out of the front flower gardens and new put in. Then add new mud under the pine tree and plant some perrienals under it.
    Well the raised bed got filled, both front yard flower beds were dug up (expect the peonies) and some old heavy clay mud removed and new fresh mud put back in, perrienals replanted.
    The area under the tree also got planted with perrienals that I split up from my yard, other than the geraniums and 2 new green hostas. Here is a before picture and I will post an after picture soon probably in the whats blooming thread. Name:  frontyard.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  37.5 KB
    Zonny and YOU AND ME like this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

It's a nice day here today, 16 degrees out there, nice and sunny, expected to be 18 tomorrow and 20 on Thursday. I was going to get my plants into their containers tonight.

But there's going to be FROST?!! WTH? http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ns1

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

After the torrential downpours we got last night I'm so glad I didn't put more grass seed down. We have a post that our neighbours rain barrel floods into our garden and washes everything away. After last night all the seed would have floated away!

I'm going to put plants in the ground this week if it kills me! At least until can get my shovel in the ground things are protected in my little green house!

On a VERY exciting side note. It looks like my peony is going to flower this year! This is our second summer in the house and we've never seen it flower. I can't wait!!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

WOW. brrrrrr Cold one here in Winnipeg tonight. COvered the tomatoes and brought the hanging planters in the shed and covered them with newspaper too. This is getting awful. Both last year and this year frost on June 1st!
    On the bright and sunny side I did go out and buy more plants today. Red, green, yellow, jalapeno, ghost peppers. Summer savory (ummmmm), lemon basil.
    Red, blue, purple verbena's, my son picked out white and pink impatients, and then I grabbed a 6 pack more of coleus ( I just love all the different types) & Dark blue lobelia.
    Zonny likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Thread Information