User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Patty Smyth

Thread: What to do with these extra veggies... (recipes needed) :)

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Anyone have recipe suggestions? I got lots of veggies from a CSA and my school this week.

The veggies are:
    Leeks
    White potatoes
    Eggplant
    Tomatoes
    Green peppers
    Hot peppers
    Swiss Chard
    Kale
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

leek and potato soup is good

roasted tomatoes , then make a sauce for pasta

swiss chard and kale can be blanched and frozen in ziplocs and then added to stir frys after

hot peppers , not gonna touch them lol

grilled eggplant - a friend made this 2 weeks ago at a potluck, slice the eggplant and brush with olive oil galric pesto , grill them inthe oven then when almost done place a slice of cheese in between 2 pieces of eggplant and broil for a minute or 2 , she also made a tomato suace with balsamic vinegar , and a few other ingrediants , it was great
    hollyquaiscer and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Sound like you have the makings of some fabulous stews and chili's there.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Braised leeks: cut the leeks lenghwise in half. In a frying pan, melt two tbsp butter, and add leeks, cut side down in pan in one layer. Cook on high heat until leeks start to brown. Turn over to other side, and cook on high until brown. Add one cup of chicken stock, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if they are cooked through. If not, cook for another 10 minutes. If there's still a lot of liquid, take off the cover, raise the heat, and cook until liquid evaporates. (Source: Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.) I make this often when leeks are in season as a side dish.

Swiss Chard & Kale. Treat like spinach. Remove stems from the leaves and discard. Chop the leaves and wash under running water. Let the water cling to the leaves. In frying pan, heat some olive and add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and cook until soft. Add the leaves and let the heat of the pan cook down the kale and swiss chard. Both have a lot of water, so it will cook down a lot, the swiss chard, more so than the kale. This can eaten as a side dish. My favourite, though, is to eat this with soft-boiled eggs for breakfast. There's something about the yolks breaking over the greens that add this "je-ne-sais-quoi" that makes it a very satisfying breakfast.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Pasta sauce & salsa to state the obvious. You don't have to can it, you can freeze it if you have the space.

You can use swisschard for salads. I grew up eating it boiled with butter and salt. You can also use swisschard to make "cabbage" rolls, or any rice based rolls.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Thread Information