User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cabmonk
  • 1 Post By VeeVee

Thread: Travelocity Posts $200 off Code, The Cancels ALL Trips!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been flipping out about this since Friday and just need to let off some steam.
    I booked a trip to NYC for my anniversary with my husband through Travelocity when we heard about a promo code that took $200 off your trip. We were so excited to finally go on a trip, and my family jumped on board as well, getting great deals.

Well, this past Friday, Travelocity cancelled every single one of the trips booked through this promo code, stating that the code was to be used by NFB members who attended a conference in Dallas and that the promo code was somehow leaked by others online without Travelocity's knowledge. This would be fine, except for the fact that the promo code was originally leaked by TRAVELOCITY themselves on Twitter! Shortly thereafter, we received an email outlining our refund, and it turns out we are going to be CHARGED for the flights that Travelocity cancelled on us! This was later cleared up by a tweet (how professional is that?), but at this point we've only received a small portion of our refund and were told it would be another 60 days before we saw the rest.

Now, I'll admit that I am not an NFB member, but would gladly have become one to make use of this code, and I was never informed I needed to be a menber to make use of the code. Furthermore, nowhere in the terms and conditions of the promo code does it state that you a) Need to be a member of the NFB or b) Needed to attend a conference to be eligible for the code. Calling customer care is getting me nowhere. The service representatives are rude and have been hanging up on clients rather than answering questions (and no, I'm not being rude to the CSR, as I realise this is not an issue they created. I do need to find answers somewhere though). Nobody is answering questions and nobody is taking responsibility for their actions. I want to send this out as a warning to never book with Travelocity, as I hear things like this are a regular occurrence from them. I've begun the charge back process, but I urge all others to Stay away!!!!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've never used Travelocity, Expedia, etc before for booking flights. I find most airlines offer slightly better deals.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I work in hotel reservations and I always advise our guests NOt to book through a third party website ever!
    They have different change and cancellation policies and usually require payment up front immediately.
    Its always best to go directly through the hotel or airline itself!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

good to know.

I booked a vegas trip for 5 people including myself (flight and hotel thru expedia) and didn't have any issues. Other than they charged me $60 to slightly change the reservation!

I always wondered what it would be like to cancel a trip booked through one of these websites. Now I know that it probably wouldn't go very well....
    Getting back into trading - see my Trade and Wish Lists (under 'About Me' tab)

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I always found that sites like travelocity are good for comparing prices, but I always make reservations through the hotel/airline itself. Never had issues this way and the prices are always the same or even cheaper
    Earn Paypal $ or Amazon gift cards every week doing searches and surveys with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/xXtiggerXx
    Earn quick money with short/easy surveys from Legerweb: https://legerweb.com/FOF6P

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for the heads up, I was about to book a trip with expedia. Now I am having second thoughs
    www.clixsense.com/?4389945
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ontheside
    Check out my profile for other sites that are paying

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

If you see a better rate on Expedia/hotels.ca etc...hotels will usually match the rates!

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Sorry but I always use priceline which yes is non refundable on their pick your own price option(but you can buy trip cancellation insurance for $5.00) I just booked with their bid your own price option and got delta chelsea in toronto for a weekend in oct for $79..every other site had it for over $200 retail/night and the hotel itself had it for $229/night. just so you know I work at a hotel too and have worked in hotels since 1996 and will keep using priceline,lol. I used priceline in feb to get the 4* sheraton toronto airport on dixon rd for $60/night for 2 nights.
    Last edited by cabmonk; Fri, Aug 17th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
    VeeVee likes this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkypie View Post
    I work in hotel reservations and I always advise our guests NOt to book through a third party website ever!
    They have different change and cancellation policies and usually require payment up front immediately.
    Its always best to go directly through the hotel or airline itself!
    and a lot of hotels are starting to require payment up front now too or very least 1 night payment to hold your room. Our hotel might start doing that too, too many people booking and not showing up and then arguing when we charge as no show.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    and a lot of hotels are starting to require payment up front now too or very least 1 night payment to hold your room. Our hotel might start doing that too, too many people booking and not showing up and then arguing when we charge as no show.
    I work for a resort which has 6 hotels, we only require a cc to bbook but we do NOT charge it and guest can pay anyway they like upon checkout. If they need to cancel it has to be done 24-48 hours prior to arrival and one hotel has a 6pm doa cancel policy. We would never charge in advance because guests change so often (adding pkgs and such).
    I guess I would never use price line since I get an employee rate at almost any hotel lol

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkypie View Post
    I work for a resort which has 6 hotels, we only require a cc to bbook but we do NOT charge it and guest can pay anyway they like upon checkout. If they need to cancel it has to be done 24-48 hours prior to arrival and one hotel has a 6pm doa cancel policy. We would never charge in advance because guests change so often (adding pkgs and such).
    I guess I would never use price line since I get an employee rate at almost any hotel lol
    I can get employee rate too for like $35 - $50 but don't really want to stay at a travelodge for $50/night when I can get a 4* sheraton for $60,lol.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I have used Travelocity numerous time personally and for work and have never had a problem. Even when I had to cancel they were super nice and always gave me a flight credit with the airline.
    I hope you get things sorted out soon.
    cabmonk likes this.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

They are scary to book with period because they do not follow TICO which protects us here in Ontario. Expedia.ca is a member of TICO. I've used them a few times with no problems but prefer expedia

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mini-update: Things have been fixed...our credit cards were refunded (but we were out $50 with the exchange rate) and our credit card company thankfully refunded that. Not a fun experience, but I will definitely be booking through airlines/hotels in the future like I normally do! I know this isn't the case for everyone using travel sites (we've had great experiences with expedia and itravel2000) but it's scary when things like that happen!

Thread Information