User Tag List

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By Draggy
  • 4 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 5 Post By DianneS
  • 1 Post By sherman51
  • 4 Post By super807
  • 3 Post By super807

Thread: How to effectively pay off debt by couponing??

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

I know it sounds dumb but do you find it to be as simple as use the coupOns and save the difference or what cause I have been "extreme"couponing for almost 2 years and for us it seems it just makes me feel more comfortable I still spend $450 a month on groceries we always have... Only difference is that now we can actually buy some GOOD and sometimes FUN extras and not worry how long a can of juice will last (actually instill do) it almost seems as though having a WTO k pile makes us consume more cause we know we can and we will be fine!
    trying to be honest so I can get sOme advice... We are pretty darn low income about $2000 net a month including child tax we are a 2 adult 1 2year old boy family I want to get out of the debt that's hurting us to the tune of $600 a month and our rent is $745and get back tO what we love TRAVELLING... And saving...

We are definTely in thAt bad debt cycle we can't "pay ourselves first " we won't have enough to make ends meet! And whenever a variable comes up like a hair cut or when we get fed up and have take out its always borrowed from another area! I have tried budgeting everything out including. X mas gifts ect and we can't stick to it cause there isn't enough to go around!

I know this is the place to post this... We are all commonly interested in saving some of us are good at it.not me!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Stretchthatdollar!; Wed, Jul 4th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
    HOHOHO ‘‘tis then season for trading
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    33 (97%)

Have you heard of Dave Ramsey?

try going to mytotalmoneymakeover(dot)com

We have paid off a $$$ of debt and we don't make much more then you do and we have higher rent and 2 kids!
    momof5boys and lucy16076 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

I definately will! Thanks..
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Have you been tracking your expenses? Do you know what your fixed expenses are costing you per month? Once you know those two, it's fairly easy to come up with a budget.

Maybe Gail Vaz Oxlade's jar system will work for you if you're more of a visual learner. She has four categories that you can allocate your spending money to: food, clothing, entertainment, and other.

One thing you can cut if you're living that close to the line is take-out. Always have things in the freezer that you can cook quickly and it's probably all cheaper than take out. Even that roasted chicken you can buy pre-cooked is still cheaper. Be willing to make sacrifices and make sandwiches, toast and jelly, canned soup (better yet, make your own!), or eat out of your stockpile that you're couponing towards. In months where things are getting tight, commit to not shopping unless you see a crazy good sale (which has to be cheaper than your last crazy good sale!). Make your stockpile work for you! That's what it's for.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I will lay you odds that many of us could significantly cut down our cash out-flow for several months if we were to discipline ourselves to stop shopping (no matter how great the deal) and to start using up our stockpiles. I agree that it is very easy to get used to enjoying the 'treats' and to be less vigilant. You are not alone!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Have you been tracking your expenses? Do you know what your fixed expenses are costing you per month? Once you know those two, it's fairly easy to come up with a budget.

Maybe Gail Vaz Oxlade's jar system will work for you if you're more of a visual learner. She has four categories that you can allocate your spending money to: food, clothing, entertainment, and other.

One thing you can cut if you're living that close to the line is take-out. Always have things in the freezer that you can cook quickly and it's probably all cheaper than take out. Even that roasted chicken you can buy pre-cooked is still cheaper. Be willing to make sacrifices and make sandwiches, toast and jelly, canned soup (better yet, make your own!), or eat out of your stockpile that you're couponing towards. In months where things are getting tight, commit to not shopping unless you see a crazy good sale (which has to be cheaper than your last crazy good sale!). Make your stockpile work for you! That's what it's for.
    That so strue...I NEVER waste the money on quick fix meals from the grocery store and say "I can't beleive how lazyppl are just cook real food!" but...you're RIGHT it still much cheaper than take out and maybe on tose days where we fee tired and just I want a treat we can whip out a frozen pizza or whatever... It has just always made me so angry to pay $5 for something I can make for $2 at home but the take out $20+++ so...wow...see! Talking to ppl els point out stupid obvious things... As for the jars and Gail.. I have Done that. It is better than plastic for melbut I suck at writing down so I got an ING account with no fees to I can allocate grocery $ ect variables there and track it online I am VEERRY WELL read in financial aid books and investments book...I think when make it out I will be so much better with my only.. I just want to make sure we get out of the impatient and debtor mentality...like even when I don't use a credit card.....I don't want to be out of one "jar" of money and write an IOU for another(done it). I have a budget yes... Every penny is there I re do it everytime anything changes.... Do you give ourself like ZERO spending money? That seems unrealistic for success to me so we have always allowed ourselves a small amounnt( which is never enough to go out with friendS) I keep trying to remember once we are Ina better place and the sooner we get there we can have fun like our more well off friends too...

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

We're a similar family to yours- for the longest time we were 2 adults and a toddler, now we have 3 adults and a 2.5 year old. We've never brought in more than 2k a month (should change soon, hopefully!) (our rent's a bit higher) and it's tricky, but we manage pretty well. I budget 100$ per person for food a month. I don't buy cleaners (use vinegar/baking soda/essential oils etc.) use homemade laundry detergent, one car family, and most of our entertainment is free places - the beach/ picnics/ splashpad/park etc. We do go to the movies every once in a while too. Instead of going out and having to spend $$ with friends/family we have them over, or go over to their place- watch movies, chat, cook, watch the kids play at the park etc. We don't drink or smoke which I'm sure must save a bunch too. We love to travel too and have become excellent campers and roadtrippers. If I'm really lucky my tax return can cover a larger trip. We're lucky that our jobs don't require fancy clothes, and DH and I share childcare, so we don't have to pay for daycare (and I'd miss my DD too much!).

We don't budget ourselves spending money right now, but when I was stricter with the budget I did. We just funnelled it into the travel fund. You might try budgeting your spending money into your 'going out with friends' jar, and maybe once a month you can go out and have fun

Good luck!
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Thanks everyone...this response is awesome, I'm taking it all in...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find that I pay attention to what we usually buy and use quite a bit and then read the flyers for all close by grocery stores and stock up. In the end I probably save easily $20-$40 a week because stuff I buy weekly, is already at home. Soup is a great example, if you buy tomato soup every week its like $.80-$1 at most places but often goes on sale for $.50 a can. I buy 20 and I've saved $10 buy just investing extra towards something that will last a while.

As a young adult when I first moved out I once recorded every dollar earned and spent for a whole calendar year and saw where I was wasting money. Things changed dramatically after that,
    Valiant likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

I don't know if you are into the couponing e...check out the other forums if not you are gonna Love it! Those 50 cents cans could be 25 cents to FREE my friend
    Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I find that I pay attention to what we usually buy and use quite a bit and then read the flyers for all close by grocery stores and stock up. In the end I probably save easily $20-$40 a week because stuff I buy weekly, is already at home. Soup is a great example, if you buy tomato soup every week its like $.80-$1 at most places but often goes on sale for $.50 a can. I buy 20 and I've saved $10 buy just investing extra towards something that will last a while.

As a young adult when I first moved out I once recorded every dollar earned and spent for a whole calendar year and saw where I was wasting money. Things changed dramatically after that,

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

One way to save money is to shop less. It sounds obvious, but seems that many people don't actually do that. If you are going to multiple grocery stores to get "deals" (with or without coupons), you may actually be spending more money than if you did all your grocery shopping in one store. It's really easy to go in to a store and buy more items than are on your list, so if you go to multiple stores, you are likely increasing how many extras you are buying.

Also, don't go into other stores, don't look at the flyers, don't look at the deals on-line. Looking at stuff that is available to buy and seeing a "great deal" often leads people to want things they didn't want (and don't need) before they saw the "great deal".

If you actually track everything you buy, by writing it down, you will more easily be able to see where you are spending your money and it will be more obvious where to cut your spending.

If you don't actively work to get rid of your debt, you won't get rid of it, it will just continue to get larger as you continue to spend more than you bring in.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

There are 2 paths to getting out of debt: spending less or earning more (or a combo). If you are not able to spend less, work on earning more.
    Valiant, bgheuchert and Slaney like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One of the better ways to start getting out of debt is to cut out some of the things you can live without for a certain time. You mention rent is $745 and debt piles up to $600 a month so it seems you are under water. Maybe is it posible to move to another cheaper rental place? You might need to move to another city though. Or is it possible to move in with one of your parents in the time being? I say this because it will give you guys relief to then start paying off the debt and then when its done and you are up for air then you can return to a more comforting life style.
    just one insomniac to another and collective nicknacks of finance advice and review for my own interest.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love this discussion. That is what I had been doing and I saved lots of money and helped alot with paying off my student loan.
    Free $175 CASH BONUS open Tangerine bank account $50=chequing, $25=savings, $100=savings program use 36121543S1as the'orange key' CAll1-888-826-4374 refer family/friends,$50 to you + $175 to them Earn up to $3,250 Visithttp://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    That is a fantastic idea! I am going to start now. I have been on my own a year now and am going through a rough time (mainly my own fault, I can't stop spending!). I am starting to realize that the couple dollars here and there really adds up! I could really help myself out if I kept track and remind myself how much gets spent on petty items!

Thread Information