User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 1 Post By DeeThomas
  • 1 Post By alicia
  • 1 Post By MortgageQueen

Thread: tourist ideas for visiting San Fransisco?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    208 (100%)

Our family (me, husband and two older teens) is considering a short vacation to San Fransisco this summer and was wondering if anyone out there has been there and would recommend places to go, things to do or places to stay, etc. We know that there is a Six s near SF . . . is it worth the drive to go there? What area of the city is the best to stay in relation to tourist things to do (keep in mind that we are only planning a 4 day visit)? Would you recommend renting a car for the four days, or is there plenty to do within close proximity to transit, etc? Was there something that you went to and were disappointed and would recommend not seeing? Anything that you can think of that would be helpful will be appreciated.

Thank you,
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Go to Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf,Castro Street.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Go to Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf,the Castro. Check out www.tripadvisor.ca for hotels and tips for what to visit.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I hear they have a pretty cool bridge there...

But seriously, the city has a great website promoting things to do for visitors:

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I say fishermans wharf too, it's a great place, tons of great restaurants and unique shops. It's really touristy, but a nice thing to see. Definetley drive over the golden gate bridge, another great thing to do. Just do NOT take the first turn off on the other side of the bridge (hmmm, not safe) continue on down the freeway. The first turn leads into an unsavory area. There are also a tone of other great things to see in the bay area, especially driving over some of the fabulous hilly streets.
    start-the-car likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    208 (100%)

Bump

Still looking for advice on what to do and not to bother with. Lots of times a website will tell you that a particular place is the best but when you get there it's a waste of time.

Anyone done the Segway tour?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

DaveP, you provided good sites for tour lovers in Canada.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

What a great place to take older teens - I had a great time in San Francisco on a solo holiday. I don't drive, but found it really easy to get around the city on foot, bike and transit - and of course you have to take the street car.

I'd really recommend renting bikes and biking through Crissy Field - you'll bike under the bridge, probably see some birds and you can even try hunting for the 'wave organ'. You could carry on biking through Golden Gate Park and visit the bison.

In terms of 'cultural' stuff, I really enjoyed the de Young Museum (in GG Park) - it has an amazing panoramic view of the city - and the Asian Art Museum, but didn't love SFMOMA or the cartoon museum.

I can't imagine visiting San Francisco and not travelling over the Golden Gate Bridge - if you take a car, Marin County is beautiful, and if you are still impressed by big trees (I see you live in BC!) Muir Wood is awesome.

And of course, just walking around the different neighbourhoods and visiting the independent stores is great fun too.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I spent awhile in ChinaTown, it was fun to just go into the shops, and they had red-bean-paste buns to die for in pretty much every window. I went to Alcatraz and it actually bothered me quite a bit. Took a taxi down Lombard St (switchback St from Full House opening ), did the Fisherman's wharf thing. Crossed the golden gate bridge and went for a walk in Muir Woods National Park (full of redwoods). We also went an hour north or so to Santa Rosa and went on a hot air balloon ride over the vineyards, but that'd be really pricey for four people, but I loved that part.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    208 (100%)

Bump

Thank you to everyone who has helped with ideas and websites. I especially like the personal experiences. For me that is the best advertising for a place.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We went to alcatraz and found it fascinating. I found the shopping on Fisherman's wharf quite disappointing but the seals are worth the walk along it. Take some streetcars (check tours?) over the hills and valleys- great-views!

Thread Information