• 3 Post By CrazyQT
  • 1 Post By neelkamalll1979
  • 2 Post By Travelnut
  • 3 Post By i_love_to_save

Thread: Expiry Dates vs Lot Codes

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I absolutely hate when companies put lot codes on their products rather than expiry dates. It would be grand if everyone knew what the codes actually meant but I do not.

So many times I have refrained from buying a product because I do not care to call the company and ask when it expires.

There has to be a way of knowing the expiry dates by way of lot codes without contacting the company. Anyone know how?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Eva-M, walkonby and couponer2 like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Well, I wondered about that up until today. I work at a big box store, and 2 of my coworkers were talking about Nestle package chocolate bars and how to tell if they're expired. From what I understand, part of the number on the back correlates to the number of days in the year We go by days at my store, and today was apparently day 200- so if it says "200" on the back of the package that means it expires on day 200 of the year. Hope that makes sense. But, the number can also mean weeks in the year like 0234 (year 2002, week 34)

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I never knew lot codes replaced expiry dates?? When I could not find an expiry date, I figured it was just me not seeing it. Thanks for posting.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    50 (98%)

Its called
    Julian date coding.Please Google it.
    <3 My $aving$ <3 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I hope this helps but I know it will not. I just do not think about it.... here is why.

There are many versions of the Julian date code. I carry a copy (the one that we use) of it in my work binder.

This is the most common one used.
    Each day of the year has a number value, Jan 1 is 001 to Dec 31 = 365
    So Jan 29 would be 029 and the year would be 12 for 2012, it would look like 02912 OR 0292.
    Some times you will see numbers added at the end, 02912789, or before 78902912.
    Not all companies use the same date code Jan 29, 2012 could also be 12029, year 12, than day of the year 029 = 12029.

But it is not that simple. 02912 can be the date the product was made and not the expiry date.... I know!
    The product can be good for 1 - 2 - maybe even 3 or more years.

I think the Canada Standards should make it very simple Expiry Date: Jan 29, 2012.

I found this site. Decoding Food Product Dates
    lancaster.unl.edu/food/ftjan05.htm - United States

Cheers!!!
    Eva-M and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

huh?
    Eva-M, DianneS and Slaney like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

ditto lol.
    At one time I knew how to desipher the Minute Maid code but I haven't had to for 8 years.
    I was soooo happy when Sidekicks & Hamburger Helper started printing the dates.
    I am currently looking for coupons for non parishable foods or grocery coupons good until December to help with Christmas food helpers.
    If you have any to trade please PM me.

Trading Score
    96 (100%)

I have been wondering about this actually because I was checking some Dove conditioner I bought, or Vaseline, and some other Shampoos - all bought last year and worried if they had expired already but I couldn't find an expiry date and thought maybe they don't have one?!

So, now I will definitely check the lot # and hopefully I will be able to decipher!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I couldn't agree more about how it should be Jan 1 2012. How hard is that?! Then everyone knows! I have thrown out food before because I have been uncertain as to whether or not it's expired. And I hate wasting food, as we all do here! I'm sure I have thrown out perfectly good food, but was scared to chance it. It's sooooo frustrating!!!

Thread Information