Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rida
  • 2 Post By bargain_hunter_lola
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: sewing machine

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi Guys this is the forum where i always turn to when i have to make a decision. lately i have been looking for a basicsewing machine . Just for the basic sewing ,some zig zag , hemming. i am so confused. I am looking for a decent well priced machine which will not give me problems typically the thread tensions and make sewing enjoyable rather than putting my efforts to adjust the thread tension. i currently have an old Kenmore which i am will be throwing out pretty soon as i wasted my weekend afternoon try only to problem solve. Suggestion any one . I am not looking for a surger, reasonably priced around 150 or less . Thanks for your suggestions .
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I was looking for one a few months ago and started a thread, hopefully some of the comments will be useful to you:

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/300454-...advice-canada/
    matrix82 and ssbean like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Go to your local sewing machine dealer and see if they have any used ones for sale. Just like cars, when people upgrade, they can turn in their old machine for a discount on the new one. This gives you the opportunity to try one before buying, and you can get a great price for older models. I bought my first machine this way for $50 and I used it for 10 years before giving it away.

When was the last time you had your Kenmore services? Sometimes that's all it needs.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If you can find one used, Janome Jem Gold is an excellent basic machine. If you are willing to commit more to a machine with a partial serger stitch, move up to Jem Gold Plus Trim & Stitch. Neither one has any digital displays-it's all about knobs. Portable models too!

If your old Kenmore is a mostly metal model (portable or console), I can share your tension woes.... I'd say sell the metal to a scrap dealer and make some dollars on the steel! Not sure when I can do that--the old console model is pretty basic and has some sentimental appeal but not when the feed dogs eat my fabric seams due to thread jams!
    ssbean likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I saved up my swagbucks and bought this inexpensive machine from Amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/Brother-LS30-Me...5555536&sr=8-3
    I really thought I needed it right away, so I only had about $55 in swagbucks and had to pay the rest myself. Once I got it, it sat in the box for two months. I've used it twice in six months.
    I shoulda waited to get it completely free.

Also, last Christmas, I believe Canadian Tire had an inexpensive one on sale in the $80 range. Walmart too.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I advise against those under $100 Singer machines you might find in a couple of chain stores.

Might be a good idea to scope out estate/garage sales and see if there are sewing machines being offered. I was looking at Hamilton sale ads and thinking along the lines of "what if there are good sewing accessories or supplies to be found."
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I got my singer for free using air miles. Check their catalog out and see if you have enough. It's a good machine with about 25 different stitches

Thread Information