User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304673

I read about this a few weeks ago, but didn't think much about it until today.... the price of Dempster's whole wheat that I usually buy for $2.19 was selling at $2.89.

Anyone else notice this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

ya bread prices have gone up because flour is expensive

bcteagirl
    thankfully I make my bread in a bread machine and bought a whole lot of bulk flour (Through a coop). However I was buying some dempsters for the free cookbook.. it was expensive!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've been buying my bread from an economy store that opened close to home last year.I pay 1.20$ a loaf,which is a blessing with a famished teenager.I buy several loafs and freeze them till needed
    -----///\\-----Plz
    ----///-\\\----Put This
    ---|||---|||---On Your
    ---|||---|||---account If
    ---|||---|||---You Know
    ----\\\-///----Someone
    -----\\///-----Who Died or is dying
    ------///\-----Of
    -----///\\\----Cancer
    ----///--\\\

Dont let breast cancer kill you ,do your breast exam...Pleaseee

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

l have been making my own bread its a lot better then the store stuff

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Yes i noticed the change. I now work for one of the big grocery stores (won't say which one) and i had to change the tags on the shelf where the prices are a couple weeks ago, and i couldn't beleive my eyes. Some loafs of bread went from $2.19 to $2.89, others went up over $1.00, then one of the store managers told me that the price of flour has gone up and thats whey there was such a huge increase. But now that i start looking around, its not just the bread, everything has gone up in price, milk went up .40 cents in the last couple of weeks for 3 bags? just about everything.

They said on the news about a month ago that food prices are going to increase significantly, well i guess they were right

What can you do?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

hm.. just bought a fresh crusty french loaf last week at a small bakery for only $2!! It was so big and heavy not to mention tasty...

I can't believe people will buy the mass-marketed ones... since the fresh ones are so much nicer
    I just can't fathom how they make profit though...

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

The bakery style breads (eg french loaf) are $1.89. They are nice. Even a loaf of rye bread is $2.19, and for some reason, it lasts longer in our household. When they go on sale, I buy a few and freeze them.
    Luckily we have the Wonder bread factory outlet in our city. Many times I go up there and buy buns and crumpets for 1/2 price. We also have a Vachon outlet here as well. I find bread and of course, their cakes at discount. Thank goodness for a freezer.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Question: Is a breadmaker a good investment. I have been thinking about it.
    (I started a thread to discuss this).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Bought a loaf of Dempster's Multigrain at Loblaws this evening..... at $3.09.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I'm just learning to buy more when it goes on sale and freeze it.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Thankfully I make my own bread, because I would never pay those prices. The price of flour has pretty much doubled in the past couple months, so it is certainly no surprise when the price of bread follows. Still a lot cheaper to make your own.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by koala View Post
    The bakery style breads (eg french loaf) are $1.89. They are nice. Even a loaf of rye bread is $2.19, and for some reason, it lasts longer in our household. When they go on sale, I buy a few and freeze them.
    Luckily we have the Wonder bread factory outlet in our city. Many times I go up there and buy buns and crumpets for 1/2 price. We also have a Vachon outlet here as well. I find bread and of course, their cakes at discount. Thank goodness for a freezer.
    Just reminded me, we have an Anut Mays Factory here, and they also have the discounted prices for bread in their little shop. I've never been, kind of out of the way, but I was going into town anyway, so I think I'm going to stop in there.
    Yeah but it's true everything went up. I went and did A $200 order to stock up on meats and and other stuff, since my freezer was getting a little low and BBQ season is in full bloom. I nearly croaked at the prices. Hardly anything was on sale (thank god for coupons), I walked out feeling ripped off, but I knew the prices where no better anywhere else. I did put off buying some of the meat from the grocery store, and drove over to M&M Meats and splurged some of my moola there. I'm never disappointed with their products, and they always have many things on sale.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

And it may just keep going up. Grain prices continue to climb. In the last year wheat has doubled in price. There is a rice shortage due to poor harvests. Corn is on the rise because of increased demand, like ethanol production.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Prices are going up around the world. Are we heading for a food shortage will all the floodings and natural disasters in the world ruining crops?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information