User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: playstation3

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (96%)

does anyone know of a good deal on a playstation3?

Thanks

M
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Right now Sears is doing a major Video Game Clearance, and they have discounted a few 320gb Bundles for $199.94. Keep in mind that this is a huge YMMV, as the sale has been going on for some time now, and most stores are OOS already.

Some of the deals:
    PS3 320gb Everybody Dance Bundle $199.94
    PS3 320gb Playstation Move Sports Bundle $199.94
    PS3 320gb Uncharted 3 Bundle $199.94

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Where can I buy it?

LoonieGoalie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Last edited by thecatz33; Wed, Aug 29th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
    Earn GIFT CARDS AND Prizes!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/thecatz33

SUPERPOINTS - Gift Cards and prizes!
    http://superpoints.com/refer/thecatz33

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecatz33 View Post
    http://www.factorydirect.ca/DealoftheDay.aspx The hard to find 60gb ps3 that has the memory card reader, 4 usb ports and can play all ps2 and ps1 games (the only model that could do this)
    Honestly I wouldn't trust a refurbished 60gb PS3, especially from Factory Direct. The original PS3 was plagued with heat problems with an extremely high failure rate, and it isn't any different with the refurbished models.

Factory Direct also has a terrible return and refund policy, and I think it's definitely better to buy the new Slim model, unless you have a stack of PS2 games and/or SACDs.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    81 (96%)

thanks, I wouldn't buy refurbished models.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm with Aslan on this... for $150, a refurbished PS3 and a 90-day warranty is not worth the price. Backward compatability might have been a good selling point 5 years ago when you might have been sitting on a stack of PS2 games, and when they were still readily available (and relevant). But today, there's little demand for PS2 compatability. They're remastering the big-titles (God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, etc) into HD for the PS3... And if you DO need to be backward compatible, then keep your PS2 (simple, no?).

and SACD? really? If you have have SACDs, chances are you have something already that will play them. You dont need your PS3 to do it.

The current PS3 Slim models with full warranty (and option to extend it) are ideal for a current shopper. $250 everyday, and $199 when they go on sale.

*NEED* 4 USB ports? (why?) -- then buy add a USB hub.
    *NEED* memory card readers? (again, why?) then get one that plugs in via USB... it will work.
    ... or buy the Intec combo strip that does both (around $15 if I'm not mistaken)

My suggestion:
    Wait for the $199 price tag at someplace like FutureShop or Walmart. I'd say within a few months you'll see this price tag. -- or wait for a tax-free day at Superstore and save yourself the tax (about $35-$40 depending on where you live)

Comb a Costco store once a week too. They have a tenancy to put them on clearance once in a while when the feature bundle or packaging is about to change. A friend of mine scored a PS3 Slim 160gb for $150, and it came with 2 controllers, two games, and HDMI cable. But you have to be dilligent to catch these because they are usually dont last. -- (look for the $xxx.97 price tag and you wont see them in boxes, you'll have to grab a place-card. If you find one, rush to the checkout with your place-card because there are typically more place-cards out on display than there are actual units on hand)

Good luck!
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

LoonieGoalie
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

wow...last time I try to help anyone...
    Earn GIFT CARDS AND Prizes!!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/thecatz33

SUPERPOINTS - Gift Cards and prizes!
    http://superpoints.com/refer/thecatz33

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This is tough because i'd love to get a PS3 but my guess is they'd just announce a PS4 or Xbox 720 around the corner since we are near the fall.
    just one insomniac to another and collective nicknacks of finance advice and review for my own interest.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by corezz View Post
    This is tough because i'd love to get a PS3 but my guess is they'd just announce a PS4 or Xbox 720 around the corner since we are near the fall.
    The next Playstation and Xbox will probably be out by the end of 2013 (at least one anyways), considering there hasn't been a release date yet. Can you wait another year?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's no secret that both brands are working on the "next thing" -- but it won't be before holiday 2013 to be sure. I would suspect later into 2014, to be honest. Traditionally, Sony, MS, and Nintendo make an announcement or show a "concept model" at E3 a full year before it's released. The following E3, we typically see a functional demol, which is usually the same year of the release.

Since we didnt hear nor see ANYTHING from Sony or MS this past E3, I would guess it will be 2014 before there's a new one on the market.

Now, keep in mind that Sony seems to be sticking to their anticipated "10-year lifespan" on the PS3. (released 2006). making it viable until at LEAST 2016. -- That's doesn't mean a "new console" can't be released before that (let's keep in mind that the PS2 was still viable for a few years even after the PS3 came out.) , but that they'll still support and publish for the PS3 at least into and beyond 2016.

Keep in mind too that there's no side-line technologies driving the advancement of the next game consoles. We saw the PS2 when DVD was newly introduced... we saw the XBOX360 and PS3 wen high-definition TV was becoming mainstream (and the PS3 riding the same wave with Blu-ray). For example... I bought an HDTV... but television wasnt enough. So I bought a PS3 because I wanted to add to that "HD experience".

Both XB360 and PS3 are still completely relevant... and presently, there's nothing on the horizon that game consoles can exploit, or would even "demand" a console upgrade.

MAYBE when 4k TVs become mainstream, (the first one is about to hit market, but "mainstream" is still s number of years out) and a new storage medium (or delivery medium) is implemented, *THEN* I think that's when you'll see a new console come out of MS or Sony.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Just noticed Shoppers has the 160 GB PS3 for $239.99 with a free $50 Shoppers gift card. The current flyer is good until Sept 14. Not sure whether you are comfortable buying from SDM, there may be warranty issues. I bought a back-up PS3 from there during their bonus redemption last Xmas...paid around $60 for it.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

it is acutally free today and tomorrow with the top redemption level when you include the $50 gift card you get back

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

^That's a good idea! As long as you have enough points. I don't think they'll let you use the free gift card towards the purchase though.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Just noticed Shoppers has the 160 GB PS3 for $239.99 with a free $50 Shoppers gift card. The current flyer is good until Sept 14. Not sure whether you are comfortable buying from SDM, there may be warranty issues. I bought a back-up PS3 from there during their bonus redemption last Xmas...paid around $60 for it.
    You won't have a problem with warranty. You deal with Sony for the warranty, not SDM. You just need to keep your receipt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information