User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How to lighten my hair color

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Anyone know how to lighten my hair color? It's colored "light brown", but is quite dark. I'd like to try dark blond, but do I have to strip my hair color first?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I seriously would pay the money and have it done professionally. It is like paining your house, to precious to do your self unless you are REALLY good at doing it. This is where I would not bother trying to save money!
    Tweetybird999 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

ITA going lighter needs a professional to make sure you don't strip out all the natural pigments and make it look fake.
    Tweetybird999 and vesper like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey there! When did you last colour your hair? usually you would need to grow out the old color or strip it out before proceeding to lightnen it, its a difficult process to do yourself honestly. You could try the John Frieda Go Blonder for a subtle overall lightening effect (it won't make your blonde!!) or just go to the salon. GL!

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Ok, so consensus is go to the salon. Same answer I got from the Clairol online chat. I guess this is one area where bottles of diy isn't a good idea. Thanks.
    LF: Chapman's ice cream and Dare coupons. DS has a peanut allergy so it's the ONLY ones we buy. Lots FT.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You'll look outstanding!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

See a professional colorist.
    Wash your hair with original blue Dawn dishwashing liquid. Only do this once or twice and condition it well, because it is very drying.
    Lighten your hair with hot oil hair treatments. Very few people know about this
    Sit in the sun. Use a sunscreen if you want to protect your skin, but leave your hair exposed
    Wait a few weeks to see if the color fades on its own. Very often, haircolor will be brighter and more noticeable right after you dye it.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

the boxes of dye at the drug store show you what your hair will look like when you simply use a lighter color on your hair.

whether or not you have to bleach your hair first depends on where you are starting from and how much lighter you want to go.

i've done lots of experimenting at home by myself. i have almost black hair, and i have gone blonde, purple, red, and every shade of brown and never had any problems.

i am not saying you SHOULD do it yourself, i am just saying that it can be done without any mishaps if you are careful about it.
    Mia001 and i_forget like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

if you want a cheap easy way to do it at home, buy the developer and colour you want, i suggest only getting a 20 volume, if you go more you'll damage the hair more. The 20 volume will take a lot longer to develop but it should do the trick.

if it comes out a little off, just throw a toner on it.

(my hair is platinum blonde and i do it myself, the bleach, the toner, the shampoo to take out brassiness etc)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I'd just go to a professional salon. It's going to be more expensive, but at least your hair won't be ruined. I agree with saving some money when it's good and appropriate, but colouring hair can be difficult.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

Thanks everyone. I discussed this with my hairdresser. He warned me about damage because I have very fine hair. Think I'll just leave it light brown until I go grey...then it will be better to be a dark blond.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good to know that ~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think you should keep the light brown.This is good for you.

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

im with hilary on this. i go to the bso and buy everything that the hairdressers use. and im nearly platinum blonde now. (went from cherry black to blonde)
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never, ever, ever would dye my own hair. Always go professional!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information