User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By alicia

Thread: Oil prices & deals in nova Scotia

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Just wondering what everyone is paying for furnace oil and what the deals are that are out there. Any techiniques that you use to get a little better deal or save money would be appreciated!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    83 (100%)

do not get regular service. instead call when you need it.
    save on fuels, anytime fuels, etc .... call both or others and price compare.
    they will match each other if you have a preference.
    good luck.
    oh and fill er' up in the late summer/early fall for the winter ...

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by iluvcoupon View Post
    do not get regular service. instead call when you need it.
    save on fuels, anytime fuels, etc .... call both or others and price compare.
    they will match each other if you have a preference.
    good luck.
    oh and fill er' up in the late summer/early fall for the winter ...
    I have to disagree. In past years we have locked into a set price and ended up getting a far better deal cause as the winter went on the prices went up for the set locked in price we agreed on in the fall for reg. monthly delivery and no worries of running out,going cold and having water pipes burst. Maybe your way is best for people who do not use oil as there main source of heat?? If it is your main source of heat I would call every supplier in your area and ask for their best deal. Sometimes it is the little local ones that have it which is what I have been using the past few years.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I have to agree with iluvcoupons. Our main source of heat is oil (tank in the basement laundry room). So every time I am doing laundry I just take a peak at the gauge and see if I should fill up soon. I also fill up late summer to get a better price. I have only gotten my fuel from Discount Fuels, a full $0.10/L cheaper than all the big names (Irving/Blue Energy).
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

It is best to keep your tank full and then they do not rust on the inside from the condensation the builds up due to temp. change (especially on inside tanks from the cold oil going to the warm house)on the inside that are not covered with oil. This rust will not only wear out your tank faster but the flecks will fall off and clog your nossel and filter. The company I deal will usually makes there last full up in late May early June. Since our tank is on the outside kinda a pain to check how low it is crawling over snowbanks!!LOL!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My tank is fibreglass, no rusting going on there. And the oil company comes when I tell them to, there's no set time they come to do the last fillup. I don't like automatic delivery, I prefer to arrange it for when I'm in a better position to pay the $600 it takes to fill the darned thing up! I'm obligated to deal with Irving since our furnace is leased, but I do get a small discount for being a government employee. The last few years, locking in the price has a fee, I think $100 or more, so we don't do it.
    Last edited by Zonny; Sat, Sep 22nd, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

Make sure the company you deal with is giving the tax rebate. Mine does and it shows right on my bill. My sisters just noticed last week that hers didn't and she called and they said she was not set up for auto rebate?? So she is out money cause she can only go back 2yrs for a credit!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ccmp1974 View Post
    Make sure the company you deal with is giving the tax rebate. Mine does and it shows right on my bill. My sisters just noticed last week that hers didn't and she called and they said she was not set up for auto rebate?? So she is out money cause she can only go back 2yrs for a credit!!
    That's not fair that she can't get it all back. But on the bright side, she probably isn't out by much since I think the program only started in 2010.
    ccmp1974 likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Also, along the same lines, if anyone is lower-income (less than $27,000 for singles or $42,000 for families) NS has the home heating assistance rebate. Not just for oil - my brother got it for his wood pellets/propane. Can get up $200 back for a few minutes effort to fill out forms.
    ccmp1974 likes this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Thread Information