User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Free $25 gc to Canadian Tire

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

My sister works at Canadian Tire, and I just asked her, she hasnt heard anything about this, she said you must of signed up for the credit card. I know in the past they have tried this with me especially at Walmart and Zellers. I would never give out my drivers licence number, nor ruin my credit just to get a free $25 gift card (which is what happened to my friend in the past), every time you sign up for credit card, and bank account it lowers your credit rating according to my bank, and how a lot of my friends have horrible credit, and mine is sparkling.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Yay! Free Stuff! View Post
    Hi all,
    no they didn't ask for my social insurance number just my address and phone number.
    The lady said that they had put the mastercard and points card in one, and if you only wanted to use it as a points card you simply didn't have to call in to activate it. If you activated it, then yes it was a mastercard, otherwise you just used it as a points card.

Hope this helps
    You dont need to give your SIN for a credit card application and many places no longer even ask becasue they know many wont give it to them.

It also does not make any sense that they are saying just dont call and activate the card to use it as just a points card sounds fishy, many of those people are paid by how many applications they get and they will get say alot of bs on stuff.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

this is the sneaky way they sign you up for a credit card! this happened to my spouse. i was outraged! we were in CT, he was approached by a guy with a clipboard saying he wanted to sign him up to get CT money on a card....then spent the next 10 minutes taking DH's information...i was ticked off as i knew it was probably a shady attempt at signing him up for a credit card for how long it was taking and sure enough a couple weeks later the CREDIT CARD was in the mail. !

and this was a few years ago! so it really kinda ticks me off now to see they're still taking that shady approach!
    Last edited by r0c0upons; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's definitely a mastercard credit card that you signed up for. I got hit last weekend at my local CT. The girl was really smooth in her wording. Stating it was a points card and I could earn points shopping anywhere and the card would be mailed to my house blah blah blah. I said "is it a credit card" she replied in a whisper tone, yes.

Also, if it was just a "points" card they would have the cards on hand at the time the application was filled out and you would be on your way with your card that day. No need to mail it to your house.

Nice try! I respectfully declined. I do not want any debt in my life TYVM even if it comes with rewards.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Wed, Sep 26th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
    FallenPixels and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

Geeesh. I think my mom told me they attempted the same thing with her last week. She had to pry the info out of them. They kept asking her if she wanted a points card, when she told them she already had one they said this one was different. They wouldn't accually say it was a CREDIT CARD! Talk about shaddy!
    On another note, you don't want to switch to pionts if you don't have to. Here in NS we are the "test Market" for this new points card. We didn't even get the last scratch card. You could get 9x the points if you bought something like a $100 coffee machine, which works out to $9 off of it. It was a bid dissapointment for us here.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You mean you didn't want to ruin your credit rating in exchange for $2 cookies you don't like?

What kind of bargain hunter are you
    Quote Originally Posted by krysta lynne View Post
    at no frills the other week a man followed me around shaking a box of cookies at me telling me i could get them free for signing up for a credit card. O_o I dont even like storebought cookies. wtf?
    krysta lynne likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    You mean you didn't want to ruin your credit rating in exchange for $2 cookies you don't like?

What kind of bargain hunter are you
    felt like kicking myself for missing such an awesome freebie. o_O (lmfao)
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I complained to HO about the No Frills guy Krista, he grabbed my cart and said he needed to see my valid ID and didn't tell me what it was for

It does sound like they signed you up for a credit card, which even if you don't activate will show on your credit report as available credit. They don't give out $25 for nothing
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

sounds good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information